It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting the Gulf Oil Spill in Perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The world at large consumes 30 billion barrels of oil per year ...

82 Million Barrels a day

The gulf oil spill even by the most aggressive estimates is 100,000 Barrels a day.

70 days to date x 100,000 barrels = 7 Million Barrels total.

Of course we don't know how bad the cracks in the seafloor are and how much oil is seeping from those points.

We use 821x as much oil each and every day, as is comming from the wellhead.

Everything that we burn gets put into the atmosphere or dispersed into the ground or water at 821x the rate of the gulf oil spill.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5d1048423ec.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 28-6-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
So, you're basically saying that it's no big deal because we use more oil in a day than what is going into the ocean??? That's like saying my car puts so much carbon monoxide into the atmosphere that it won't matter if I run a hose from my exhaust pipe into my car and roll up the windows to breathe in the fumes.

Stop trying to mislead people on this site. We're obviously here for a reason... because we didn't buy your lies from the media. So why would we buy them here?!?!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImYourHuckleberry

So, you're basically saying that it's no big deal because we use more oil in a day than what is going into the ocean???

No I didn't say it wasn't a big deal. Obviously it is a big deal.

I'm just saying that we have no idea what we are really doing to our planet.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I just ruptured my main artery, but it's no big deal.

Every year we have over half a million blood donors worldwide, so it's cool.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by trolleleet]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by trolleleet
I just ruptured my main artery, but it's no big deal.

Every year we have over half a million blood donors worldwide, so it's cool.

Look this is just a drop in the ocean literally.

This oil spill is just a big deal because we can see some of it on the surface.

If BP wasn't pumping out tons of dispersants, to keep the oil under the surface, we might really be shocked at how much 100,000 barrels a day really was. Maybe we're seeing 5,000 barrels a day on the surface?

NOw make that 821x worse and know you have an idea of what is going into the planets ecosystem every day.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The gulf of mexico isn't the whole ocean buddy.

It's also a very big deal to a lot of people around the gom and not eskimos living in greenland or russians drinking vodka.

And they ARE pumping out tons of dispersant and while you and other humans might not be shocked, the waters in the gom certainly is.

I doubt our world is ending over this but even if it was, the general population would be the last to know.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
1 sq km=1 million sq meters

1 gallon of thick crude oil will take up 1 sq metre

Could Bp mop up 1 sq km of oil a day ! I say easy

This is every thing to do with carbon tax and getsing some of the censors works off the dole and then they are only working 2 hours days and geting paid 8 hours and this is why they don't want the public near the workers.

Ask the zionist Goldman sach why they sold 44% stake in Bp weeks before it blew up and see who Bp is buying the clean up agents from.

Why did Bp change it's name from Britsih Protrolium to Bp without telling anyone i mean it's only got two letters in it and they didn't change.

Will we wake up and find the USA chances it's name to United States of Aran and forgot to pass it on to the american public.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by LieBuster]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by trolleleet

The gulf of mexico isn't the whole ocean buddy.

But all the oceans are connected to the Gulf of Mexico.

Don't you care about the oceans or are you just concerned with the gulf?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I'm a bit confused on your position, so let me hit you with what I've gathered then let me know if I'm close or not.

You're saying it is a big deal to the Gulf, but not to the rest of the ocean? Just a drop compared to the whole ocean? Granted it may not kill absolutely 100% of everything that lives in the water across the entire planet, but is that really what it takes for it to be considered bad in your opinion? America's entire gulf coast, and maybe the east coast, will be destroyed. We need the ocean and the animals and life that's in it. Everything is connected in this web of nature. If you destroy part of it the rest will suffer as well.

The oil we consume everyday is not 821x worse for the environment than oil being spewed DIRECTLY into the ocean!!! All the birds and fish are NOT dying because of the oil we put in our vehicles, they are dying from the millions of gallons of oil depleting the oxygen in the ocean and killing them. They cannot breathe in this stuff.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So, going by the 110k/day scenario, we can derive that nearly 300,000,000 gallons of oil has leaked out of a reservoir that BP says contains 50 million barrels (over 2 billion gallons)? Even so, the spill is already twice the size of the Ixtoc spill and maybe, just maybe in 2 months they will have a relief well drilled. I realize that probably half the content coming from the BOP is VOCs and possibly NORMs, which are more devastating than the oil itself. Initial EPA tests showed critical levels of airborne toxins, yet media states that it's normal.
One question here is: If they had a cataclysm due to extremely high pressures down deep, then what will be the verdict on ANOTHER well sunk that deep? No doubt they are 'in a hurry to drill the relief well', but isn't that what caused the first problem? Rushing an 'emergency operation' also bypasses permits and routine safety appraisals.
The problem I'm having with all of this is the magnitude of the cover-up. BP buying up google searches, no disclosure of the 3D imaging of the site, refusal of international help, complacency of the scope of the disaster, failure to warn states of incoming black tides, downplaying the environmental impact, media blackouts, Wackenhut puppets on the scene, the huge push for Cap & Trade legislature, stock shorting by major investors/insiders, deliberately falsifying media (looped footage), failure to disclose the methane threat, denial of major benzene contamination, and the list goes on.
World consumption, or the amount of natural leakage each day in the oceans is one thing, but all of this is happening in one small, fairly isolated place. If all of the BP spill was captured, they would need a bowl the size of Lake Ontario to put it in. Instead they have emulsified it with another toxin to suspend it below the surface so we won't see the sheer magnitude of it. These 'dead zones' appear to migrate both above and below the surface, and prevailing winds will indicate the direction of the dead zones, just like a tropical wave. It may be years down the road before we begin to understand the scope of this incident. By then, the tourism and seafood industry will be done and over with.
Whether it was intentional or not is a forum for the finger-pointing. Right now, politics has prevailed where disaster reaction should have been in place. We're too afraid of panicking the public instead of overseeing their health and well being. The Red Cross and civil engineers should already be flocked to all coastal areas to do whatever is possible to maintain health, and rescue the beaches and marshes, and wildlife. Given time this slick will infest the Everglades and the coral reef near the Keys. These sanctuaries are prolific and diverse and will be irreversably damaged for decades to come.
Accept it or not, this is our present day reality, and wild speculation always rises when facts are not disclosed.

top topics

join