It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Satanic salute?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The following Youtube clip is quite typical of the assumptions surrounding the "Satanic salute":
www.youtube.com...
It features a pastiche of various situations, where everyone from rock fans to US Presidents, and even TV preahers flash this infamous hand gesture.
However, does this mean that all these similar gestures signal a common Satanic belief?
What is the origin and context of this sign?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I do and see that sign everywhere I go. Metal heads seem to be the most Satanic. Thousands of them all Satanic. Sorry I had to joke around.

I don't know about this hand sign. It has huge roots in heavy metal music. Dio popularized the symbol and I think he said the symbol came from his Italian grandmother. Look at the history of the sign and then see what it means. Other then that I see it nothing more then a popular sign in music.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Dio popularized the symbol and I think he said the symbol came from his Italian grandmother.

Yeah, he popularized it, saying his grandmother did it as a sign against demons and the "evil eye" and if you point it towards another human, you mean as a sign to save him from demons. That's one of the reasons why Dio did it in concert all the time.
The sign is also used at the University of Texas, especially for the Sport teams there.
John Lenon is shown doing it on the Cover of Beatles' Yellow Submarine Cover.

That hand sign is really old, has a lot of different meanings in different countries.
It doesn't have anything to do with Satan.

Oh and the video is stupid, because you see a lot of the people doing the sign with an extended thumb. With an extended thumb it means "I love you" in american sign language.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Like I always say. ATS is a website for conspiracy theorist. You do get your loonies and people who would believe anything posted on this site or youtube.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

One could say it is used in music. although, unlike the peace gesture what it exactly means apart from celebrating popular music itself is unclear.
One would assume that the genre of heavy metal develped in the 1970s, when the sign was already well established (and John Lennon is clearly showing it - hardly heavy metal).
One could also say that Satanism shows social disatisfaction. Music was often performed for the upper classes, and the working classes always protested with disharmonious sounds that subverted privileged sound. Similarly, the sign appears to signal something rebelious, which differs between the classes.
George W. Bush once claimed that his flashing of this sign simply showed support for the Texas Longhorn team.

That being said, it does have occult meaning.

However, for most of the sheeple it propably means for the working class: "We rebel".
To the elite it means: "We can do what we want".
There can hardly be a known, shared Satanic meaning.
If that was true, then the pretense of mainstream religion could finally stop.
Perhaps that is the crux, since the sign became associated with Satanism.
It's an admission of the ultimate sin - the ultimate hypocrisy. It screams:
"Look at our behaviour! It is the ultimate truth about our animalistic humanity, and everything else is self-delusion!"

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it comes from ancient Egypt or Greece, something to do with actually warding off evil.

A simple google search would help you out and I'm sure the ATS one would too as I'm pretty sure it's been discussed on here before.

Lazy research

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Thanks for that, and the lazy research one often finds in Wikipedia.
Sadly it mentions the obvious, but nothing on why the sign remains crucial in conspiracy books, from fundamentalist Christian writing to David Icke.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
texas Longhorns salute too

they are just all football fans

Mr.Cheney your not at a football game

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_%27em_Horns]-->Hook em Horns

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
One could say it is used in music. although, unlike the peace gesture what it exactly means apart from celebrating popular music itself is unclear.
One would assume that the genre of heavy metal develped in the 1970s, when the sign was already well established (and John Lennon is clearly showing it - hardly heavy metal).

Like i said, yeah and it is propably hundreds, if not thousand years old and has a lot if different meanings. I think it is in spain where it basically means "# off" (i could be wrong, but it was one of the southern european countries)

However, for most of the sheeple it propably means for the working class: "We rebel".

Mmmh no. In the metal scene we use it as a greeting. For example if you're a metalhead and you see someone next to you wearing an Iron Maiden shirt, you doi it, to show him you belong to that scene, too. I do it sometimes (when someones wears the right bandshirt) and through that alone i came in contact with a lot of nice people i propably would never have met.
It's not a "bad" sign, it certainly isn't evil, unless you also believe that Rock and Metal music come from the devil (which i know a lot of people think)

To the elite it means: "We can do what we want".

It certainly is interesting, that they choose that sign, especially since it is more associated with a complete different culture, which even most politics seem to dislike.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
www.masonicinfo.com...
This should clear up many issues.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Double post! Sorry.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

There's plenty of pictures of many politicians doing this sign and people always say when Bush used it ,it meant Texas Long horns or the other similar sign they say it means i love you in sign language.If this video doesn't convince people that the sign has an esoteric meaning for the elite i don't know what will.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

In some southern European countries I've heard that it means something like: "I slept with your wife". To paraphrase a German translation: "I put the horns of jealousy on you".
But signs do change cultural meanings. For example, hitchhiking in many countries with your thumb extended is ill advised.
Fascinating on metal culture. We greet in that scene with the "rasta" thumb against thumb. For rebellion with the horn sign, I was thinking more about live shows, where eventually the entire audience seems to flash the sign (and that is evident across rock genres).

The sign did have Masonic meanings, but Masons are hardly the only occult society (I'm thinking here mainly of the post following yours).
I'm thinking of the "stuff you" emotion that is often experienced when the sign is shown in public.
That is certainly a form of externalized energy.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
As others have said this has been discussed before and with better research than I provide below. It does have ancient origins that have been to some extent usurped and diluted the entertainment industry. Possibly even deliberately because of the very strong bonds between the NWO and The Arts.

However what gives me the chills is the prevalence of the use of this hand signal by politicians, leaders, royalty, and the elies. I feel great unease when I see Bush and now Obama using the sign and having it replied to by Ahmadinejad in the same way.

Lazy research using 'horned hand signal' brings back the first item from the search

www.youtube.com...

These signals are akin to a freemason handshake that's had it's secret revealed to the world. These gestures spell out where their loyalties lie and are a middle finger to everyone else. The elites like nothing more than to hide something in plain view.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
To me, it symbolizes POWER and abundance, including of power, and can also be representative of other things, including your western zodiac sign animal, so to speak, particularly the horned/horny (lol) ones (Aries, Taurus, Capricorn). It's however you take it though TBH. I'm a metalhead, an Aries with Taurus rising, and yeah, I use the corna when things get AWESOME. Ya know? It's just a symbol, nothing more.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Masinger]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Masinger

Nice post (and music), especially in that you link the public sign to personal beliefs.
But this is also what confuses people. It appears as if metal and the horn sign have a mutual association of being "evil". The prejudice against the music backs up the suspicion regarding the sign, and vice-versa.

As an earlier poster pointed out, similar notions expressed by the sign-thrower across the spectrum associates otherwise vastly differing political and cultural movements. This is what makes it so conspirational, since it suggests that the figures in official culture and those in counter-culture are intimately connected, and that the spectacle of diviseness is fooling everybody.

What is clear is that the horn sign is more than just a temporary fashion statement - it is too enduring and ubiquitous.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The simple fact of the matter is, a large majority of humans have very limited finger independence between their middle and ring fingers. I don't honestly know the details of the physiology—if it's a matter of shared tendons, or what—but if you try to wiggle those two fingers separately, chances are, it will take some work. (I think muscularly, the ring finger is the weakest, overall...)

Of course, guitarists and pianists have overcome such issues with lots of practice and exercises, but to the average lay person, if you shake out your hand so that it's totally relaxed, then raise it suddenly, chances are your middle two fingers will fall lower than your index and pinky.

Are some celebs and politicians intentionally giving A handsign? Yes. But not all of them. Some of those pictures are simply one moment in time when the person being photographed wasn't in full, conscious control of every muscle in his hand.

More importantly, the video shows at least four different thumb positions:
  1. pad of thumb touching back of fingers
  2. back of fingers covering nail of thumb
  3. pad of thumb to pad of fingers
  4. thumb out
If someone is going to ascribe a particular meaning to a hand sign, it would be sloppy to not separate those into four entirely different gestures.

Originally posted by spookfish
These signals are akin to a freemason handshake that's had it's secret revealed to the world. These gestures spell out where their loyalties lie and are a middle finger to everyone else. The elites like nothing more than to hide something in plain view.
Except I defy you to show me a photo of an actual Mason using a Masonic handshake. There are hundreds of photos of assorted politicians shaking hands, and conspiracy theorists who look at those handshake and try to tie them to something Masonic. The hilarious thing (at least to us Freemasons) is that none of the men portrayed are Masons.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Very informative, thanks.
From one LaVeyan inspired Satanic point of view (and I'd argue that the "Baphomet" goat head in a pentacle was popularized by the Satanic Bible, as was the popular awareness of the "horn sign" on the back cover), the fact that the sign can be involuntary is significant.

The seven deadly sins are all based on involunatary drives (especially lust). So using a hand gesture that is involuntary at times, but is deliberately chosen at others is metaphoric of our biological drives, and our attempt to gain mastery over them by acknowledging them.
This gave me some new insight on the symbolism.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wasn't the hand sign created by the creator of sign language and wasn't he a well known satanist? I thought there were 2 similar handsigns. One means hail satan the other means I love satan.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetiggler
Wasn't the hand sign created by the creator of sign language and wasn't he a well known satanist?
No, he was a Baptist preacher. But I could see how you might confuse the two...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join