It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Satilite Signals

page: 1

join
share:
d1k

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Is it not possible to intercept NASA signals from the rovers on Mars or the new satilite now orbiting Jupiter?

All this talk about altered and hidden photos is there no way to receive the same data being sent and received by nasa? Is it an encrypted data stream? I always thought why we just dont take the raw data (all of it) and just see for our very own eyes what is going on.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I've had this discussion with people many times, but everyone I suggest it too just passes it off like it's a stupid notion.

Surely someone can do it? I mean, yeah, the data will probably be encrypted, but there are people in this world that can decrypt anything - so why hasn't someone had a crack at it?

Is there something that I'm overlooking here?

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Not many private citizens have a 240 foot satellite dish floating around to recieve the transmissions.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Well, if you found out the frequency in which the data was being sent back you could probably intercept that. But then, like the other guy said, someone would need to decrypt it. THat would probably end up being the really hard part and a major national security risk. I think decryption is a lot harder than you make it out.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I don't think the data (from the MER mission at least) is encrypted when it is transmitted back to earth. Its just that noone really has the ability to recieve the signals apart from the Deep Space Network.

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
That was one of my main questions, do they really encrypt it and why would they? If cant be a nation security issue...unless they really are hiding ET or some such.

But why would you need a 250' satilite to recieve the signals?

[edit on 14-6-2004 by d1k]

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Distance and signal strength.

Mars is a long way away and the rovers, while high-tech. Are still limited by the size of their comms dish.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Although at times the rovers transmit of their data to orbiting satellites around Mars, then the signal is transmitted back to earth. I believe they have two satellites orbiting Mars.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
More information on the orbiting satellites (Mars Odyssey and Mars Global Surveyor) around Mars and how they send and receive data.

www.wired.com...

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
More information on the orbiting satellites (Mars Odyssey and Mars Global Surveyor) around Mars and how they send and receive data.

www.wired.com...

Thanks for the link

I'm sure there are some organizations that have the necessary hardware to get the signals. I wonder if anyone has actually tried.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
NASA does not encrypt raw scientific data from space normally. I doubt they do with the rovers.

I don't personally know anyone on the rover teams but maybe I can call a few old friends and see if they can dig up some info on the data streams.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I heard awhile back some Canadian named Martyn Stubbs
was downloading nasa transmissions from his home...

You must of heard of this guy, he was the one who brought the famous nasa tether incident to light....

"Canadian boffin Martyn Stubbs downloaded 2,500 hours of video from the space agency's satellite link, which handles all NASA transmissions. "

more info:

www.rense.com...
www.thelosthaven.co.uk...

has anybody confirmed or debunked the tether incident?

[edit on 14-6-2004 by quadricle]

new topics

top topics

join