It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Candy Cigarettes Banned By FDA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeedBump

What about the adults who want flavored cigarettes? I always wanted to try them, but could never find them. The closest I've found is flavored tabbacco for a huuka

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
all i can say is WTF?

Those were the bomb growing up, some of the best candy to get.

Did they make me want to grow up and smoke, no it was candy.
cool candy, and a great chalky taste too...

man we are sinking to a new low when we start picking on candy.

Whats next?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone has tried candy cigarettes to aid in smoking cessation. I find that just holding something the way I would usually hold a cigarette can help the urge to smoke pass.

I'm just now quitting smoking and I've noticed that my throat hurts and I've been coughing like crazy! It seems like not smoking is making my throat and lungs hurt worse than when i did smoke!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
/facedesk

I don't know what to say; literally, sat here for several minutes stuttering the first word of a thought only to stop and cringe each time. It's as if they're daring the American people to lose it. This is the epitome of insanity.

Candy m* f*ing cigarettes. This is absurd.

I don't think I've ever felt nearly as crazy as I do sitting here reading about how the FDA is cracking down on Candy Cigarettes and the fact that it was done last year and only now takes effect. Where the hell was this news then?

Mind yourselves; they'll be after water guns next.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by SpeedBump

Since when does the FDA have authority to regulate morals? They are spraying crap on our food, and they are worried about candy cigarettes?

Great point. Spray our food supply, trust Monsanto, give us frankenfoods so we live and consume but do not question. Then ban candy to appear "they" are looking out for us?

This is just wrong on so many levels, if kids want to smoke they will, if they don't, they won't.

Nothing that the government or the tobacco companies will change that, all a ploy to keep us "safe" because that's what big brother is for, right?

Oh, I'm a pipe smoker, and candy didn't make me, I love homegrown pipe tobacco.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Where does it stop!!

Sad but true. It will never stop.

Stay out of our lives!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I don't think this will have much if any effect on stopping children from smoking. I am also a bit confused on the reference to candy cigarettes verses cloves or fruit flavored ones.

I grew up with my mom smoking and my sister and I often hid cigarettes on her. We were told about the negative effects and told not to smoke and we also both had those candy cigarettes. I don't think my sister ever tried smoking and I didn't start until my early twenties. My choice as an adult to smoke had no influence from "smoking" candy cigarettes as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing in common between them besides their shape. Entirely too much government interference and entirely too little parental guidance. For perspective, I say this as a person without kids. There are a ton of more important issues to be dealing with than this IMO. Stop forcing what people can do and making decisions for them.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

The thing is, it isn't about influence. Those in power always use 'your best interest' and 'to prevent influence' as ways of controlling us.

It all comes down to responsibility and freedom. If as a parent, you do your best to instill the right ideals and beliefs, more than likely your kids will do the right thing. Still, kids will make mistakes, but those mistakes are necessary to learn. It isn't the governments role to play the ultimate parent. This candy ban just goes to show how ridiculous they really are, and should be in charge of the remote let alone the country.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
When I was a kid I bought little paratrooper guys that you'd put a cap in the hat, wrap a parachute around, then throw them up, into the air... and when they hit the ground the cap would explode vaulting the guy into the air and then the 'chute would open and he'd hit the ground with an open parachute.

Call me weird but I don't have any desire to strap explosives to a helmet and a parachute on my back....

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by KATSUO
Im a smoker,
and I wanted to flip out on my sister in-law when she bought my kids
candy cigarettes..
and I told all 3 of them, if they ever start smoking for real, 18-20-30 years old.. I dont care..
I will break their fingers..

I know.. sounds harsh.. but I dont want them ever to take it up..

Nice, as I read this I pictured "The far side" comic strip, with the dad chewing out the kids for pretend smoking candy ciggs, with a flaming cigg in his mouth. Caption reading "Kids learn their first lesson in hypocrisy"

Seriously though, when does this "control for our own good" begin to finally effect the general population in a way where we finally say "ok this is enough already"?

Soon we will all have little shopping lists that our government will send us every month, of our pre determined and approved items that we may go pick up and consume for that month. Ok maybe a small exaggeration, but we're without question headed in that direction.

The absolute worst part about this whole nightmare is the cheerleaders who actually condone this type of thing and happily hand over their freedom of choice to people that work in places like the FDA.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
wow, never heard of this ... I think I am going to buy a box at amazon

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Have no fear! Get your candy cigarettes here!

knew i saw them cloaked and shielded...

Sorry to say that you can't buy any cigarette related paraphernalia via internet after 6-30, that probably even includes candy smokes. All part of the so called PACT act, prevent all cigarette trafficking act.

Cigarette tax increases have also resulted in an increase in cigarette smuggling. In response, the U.S. Congress overwhelmingly passed a bill to strengthen enforcement against cigarette smugglers. Entitled the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act, the measure targets organizations that sell tax-free cigarettes, improves enforcement toward cigarette smuggling between states, and bans the United States Postal Service from delivering most tobacco products. President Barack Obama signed the bill into law on March 31, 2010. The new provisions will go into effect on June 29, 2010.

en.wikipedia.org...

Obama most likely got him a pallet of candy newports by now so he'll tend to be I'IGHT! At least he's taken care of. Its going to eliminate a lot of jobs though, just another feather in his hat. For a smoker himself, he is a real hypocrite for making this a law.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Another show of how pathetic our countries leadership really is, seriously!

Like the war on drug and the billions a years spent there do any good against the trafficking of narcotics in America.

Wake up America and demand leadership!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
You can still get the Popeye brand candy cigs up here in Canada.

Perhaps I'll decide to run a few thousand cartons across the border. Or not. I don't want to spend 20 years in prison.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Those things were my childhood! WHHHHHHYY FDA WHYYY!?!

[edit on 25-6-2010 by jdills1196]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeedBump

Candy Cigarettes Banned By FDA

www.thaindian.com
[exnews All kinds of flavored cigarettes be it fruit, clove or candy has been prohibited from June 23rd 2010.
[/exnews

Apologies, I can't access the article posted in the OP to read further, I'm getting a security warning from one of my Firefox plugins.

Does this mean that clove cigarettes, like Djarum, are banned or just clove flavored tobacco cigarettes?

TheAssoc.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by KATSUO

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Yeah, that'll work.

as opposed to what.. I know I smoke..
so here, Ill buy your first pack..
yea, that makes even more sense?

:edit to add:
Id be willing to bet 10:1 that you have done at least 1 exceptionally stupid thing in your past (maybe you got caught or maybe you didnt)
so, your kids do the exact same extraordinarily stupid thing and you caught them..
by your definition.. since you did it as a kid.. it would be ok with you?

and yes.. starting smoking counts as an exceptionally stupid thing in my book..

[edit on 6/25/2010 by KATSUO]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
It makes me very sad to see another infringement on the freedom of American's. I can only hope that we will elect leaders with the fortitude to truly "right" the country. This means not only making laws that are appropriate, but also nullifying/repealing laws that suck. We have accumulated a lot of those.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think it is well known they are the brainchild of cigarette compaines, to encourage young people to take up smoking

They are usually made to look exactly like a pack of smokes.

These are the ones we get in england, but are relativly hard to find, now.
I used to love them as a kid.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by KATSUO

We've all made mistakes.

The difference is, pointing your grubby, tar stained fingers at your kids whilst rasping through a mouthful of decaying tobacco stained teeth is no way to tell them not to smoke.

...then again I suppose it is!

As you were!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join