It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Builds Fusion Reactor in New York City - Seriously

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
Cold fusion is suppressed

It's not. There have been many labs around the world working on this, and the prospect of instant fame and money involved in verifying such a unique and lucrative process will make any attempts at suppression futile. It's like trying to keep the recipe of moonshine liquor secret.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

I never realised people were trying this at home and apparently it is quite legal as long as you obtain the parts through the appropriate sources.

In his case, I'm not sure there ARE any inappropriate sources, although the one tough part is getting a small tank of deuterium.

Lots of people play around with this. You ought to go nose around the info that's on the net, there is a bunch of it.

At one time Naval Weapons was stroking checks to Dr Bussard to develop this for subs (in a useful form) but just about the time it started to look promising your gubmint decided to spend the money on something else and defunded it. At least they had the manners to de-classify the work that was done at the same time.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Fusion can't be weaponized and be as dangerous as fission? I'm not sure I understand.

Not with a Farnsworth fusor. You could bat someone over the head with the reaction chamber, I suppose.

The few people that really get this to go can crank out enough neutrons to be a little dangerous at close range. But no, you can't make it go bang.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
All right, I'm just speculating.
If cold fusion is possible, how come it doesn't exist in nature, for instance inside Sun, and the theory, and it still is just a theory - that inside Sun there is hot fusion falls?

Are we humans really this much more intelligent than the rest of the Universe.

For instance, some call Jupiter a failed star, because it doesn't have enough mass to start fusion. But is that really so. Jupiter consists mostly of hydrogen. Where did it come from? Accretion?

What if Jupiter is actually producing hydrogen and other gasses in the process of cold fusion. We know that Jupiter has a core of "metallic hydrogen", which consists of hydrogen protons separated from electrons, which are projected outside of this huge "core". How is that possible? And is there such thing as hydrogen's proton? It's just protons...

Metallic hydrogen is a state of hydrogen which results when it is sufficiently compressed and undergoes a phase transition; it is an example of degenerate matter. Solid metallic hydrogen consists of a crystal lattice of hydrogen nuclei (namely, protons), with a spacing which is significantly smaller than the Bohr radius. Indeed, the spacing is more comparable with the de Broglie wavelength of the electron. The electrons are unbound and behave like the conduction electrons in a metal. As is the dihydrogen molecule H2, metallic hydrogen is an allotrope. In liquid metallic hydrogen, protons do not have lattice ordering; rather, it is a liquid system of protons and electrons.

en.wikipedia.org...

Very interesting topic, but because of this "gravitation ruled Universe" theory, many options are excluded just from the start.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
If cold fusion is possible, how come it doesn't exist in nature, for instance inside Sun, and the theory, and it still is just a theory - that inside Sun there is hot fusion falls?

Sorry but this point is not well thought out. Space shuttles don't exist in nature but we build them, lots of things we build don't exist in nature. That is one of the things that seperates us from other animals, we take basic components and creature massively complex, technologically advanced systems.

I'm also not sure what you mean by hot fusion falls.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Sorry but this point is not well thought out. Space shuttles don't exist in nature but we build them, lots of things we build don't exist in nature. That is one of the things that seperates us from other animals, we take basic components and creature massively complex, technologically advanced systems.

I'm also not sure what you mean by hot fusion falls.

Sorry, a comma there: Theory... hot fusion, falls.
It is only a theory that inside Sun is a very hot core which enables fusion. This theory falls, in case there is cold fusion inside the Sun.

We know that the hottest part of Sun is its corona (up to 1-3.000.000 K). Surface is about 6.000 K and "spots" are merely 3-3.500 K.

The rest is theory...

The exact mechanism by which the corona is heated is still the subject of some debate, but likely possibilities include induction by the Sun's magnetic field and sonic pressure waves from below (the latter being less probable now that coronae are known to be present in early-type, highly magnetic stars).

en.wikipedia.org...

The core of the Sun is considered to extend from the center to about 0.2 to 0.25 solar radius.[1] It is the hottest part of the Solar System. It has a density of up to 150,000 kg/m³ (150 times the density of liquid water) and a temperature of close to 15,000,000 kelvin (by contrast, the surface of the Sun is close to 6,000 kelvin). The core is made of hot, dense gas in the plasmic state. The core, inside 0.24 solar radius, generates 99% of the fusion power of the Sun, and is the hottest part of the sun.

en.wikipedia.org...

Those who support Electric Universe theory, are in disagreement with above presented theory, and I would like to know how substantiated their criticism is?

In my opinion, cold fusion cannot be compared to building machines as we know them (like shuttle). Cold fusion is more about principle, like chemical reaction, which we might be able to use for our own purposes at will.

Maybe there is no cold fusion in our Sun, but it may exist in other places in our Galaxy (how about black holes?) or planets like Jupiter and so on.

"Cold fusion" would produce what? Heat? Or something else, what kind of energy (electromagnetic?) or a combination...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
There are regulations for boilers in NYC like they need safety valves and other things. I hope this guy does not scald or irradiate his neighbors. Doesn't fusion produce heat and radiation?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Controlled desktop fusion would probably be safe but he better watch out lest the big oil companies catch wind of his success. They have been able to build fusion reactors since 1948. Can you imagine how much it would disrupt the world economy, middle east politics, etc if the secret got out?

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Bordon81]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
He's right over in Bed-Stuy, huh? That's quite close to were I live.

Well, long is it is in fact safe...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bordon81
Controlled desktop fusion would probably be safe but he better watch out lest the big oil companies catch wind of his success. They have been able to build fusion reactors since 1948. Can you imagine how much it would disrupt the world economy, middle east politics, etc if the secret got out?

Used to be you could buy one from Daimler/Chrysler called a "fusion star", as a portable neutron source...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bordon81

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Bordon81]

Like the world economy can be disturbed more than it is now

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I don't understand what is so "amazing" about this.

If you pump 30,000 volts of electricity into any type of gas chamber, you're gonna get heat. DUH.

This process he is "tinkering" with is a dead end. He's never going to get more energy out of the process than he puts into it.

New York City / Local Brooklyn hipster story FAIL.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

We know that Jupiter has a core of "metallic hydrogen", which consists of hydrogen protons separated from electrons, which are projected outside of this huge "core". How is that possible? And is there such thing as hydrogen's proton? It's just protons...

You are saying that the hot core of the Sun is just a theory, and in the same breath utter "but we know that Jupiter has a metallic core". Check your logic, please.

Also, electrons are not "projected outside of core". I don't know where you got this idea.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Yes you get heat but he is producing fusion and it seems lots of people are doing it. Just because he isn't getting more out than he is putting in is relatively unimportant at this point. Remember that throughout history some truly remarkable discoveries have been made in basements and sheds with men and women tinkering away.

The other point to consider and it's one i was trying to encourage is that science needs to be taken out of it's mythical castle and brought more clearly into the public domain. If tons of people were running little experiments at home for a bit of fun then maybe we would have even more discoveries coming in.

Hydroponic advancements for example often came from hobbyists, robotic has also been propelled from keen hobbyists, and lets not get started on computers.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

We know that Jupiter has a core of "metallic hydrogen", which consists of hydrogen protons separated from electrons, which are projected outside of this huge "core". How is that possible? And is there such thing as hydrogen's proton? It's just protons...

You are saying that the hot core of the Sun is just a theory, and in the same breath utter "but we know that Jupiter has a metallic core". Check your logic, please.

Also, electrons are not "projected outside of core". I don't know where you got this idea.

In the article it says there are currents of electrons and currents of protons. How the hell is this hydrogen? If they are free like this what determines what they can be transformed into?

Is that a prerequisite for fusion to start?

Jupiter's core is much more accessible that Sun's core (by radar, there's just gas around it). Around Jupiter is only gas, and most of it is hydrogen. How come? Quarter of its mass is - helium! Where do they come from? It looks like there is cold (well, not so cold, since Jupiter's core is also hot) fusion, but nothing like temperatures predicted in the core of the Sun.

Electrons and protons in a"metallic hydrogen" form - are they really still hydrogen?

Looks like raw atomic particles resource to me. And if hydrogen and helium are created from it, and obviously helium is not created from hydrogen by the process of "Jupiter's fusion" - maybe this "cold fusion" is really something else?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

His high voltage power supply gives 30,000 volts but only draws 10 Milliamperes.

Thats less power than your microwave oven uses

[edit on 24-6-2010 by lacanau]

[edit on 24-6-2010 by lacanau]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacanau
reply to post by Phage

His high voltage power supply gives 30,000 volts but only draws 10 Milliamperes.

Thats less power than your microwave oven uses

I hope you understand that the efficiency of the HV supply is not 100%, and that the vacuum pumps aren't running for free, either. All in all, it's not a humongous bill but still pretty hefty, I think.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ahhhh dam phone upgrade

[edit on 25/6/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

reply to post by harrytuttle

Yes you get heat but he is producing fusion and it seems lots of people are doing it. Just because he isn't getting more out than he is putting in is relatively unimportant at this point. Remember that throughout history some truly remarkable discoveries have been made in basements and sheds with men and women tinkering
Like the inventions of Farnesworth himself. The problem currently is that people have to work too hard to have the time to tinker.

Achieving fusion is relatively easy. More power out than in is the difficult bit.

PS can someone let me know if his pay is 30kW as mentioned by one poster or 300W as mentioned by another?

[edit on 25/6/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

30,000 V @ 10mA = 300W

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join