It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hellenic Heresy! The Hyperborean Northern Hemisphere HOAX!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Editorial Disclaimer: Please Note that ALL bolds, underlines and italics throughout this entire post are my edits for emphasis UNLESS noted explicitly in the text OK!

Explanation: Is Hyperborea in the Northern Hemisphere???

NOPE! Here is why...

Hyperborea [wiki]

From Source:-

In Greek mythology the Hyperboreans were a mythical people who lived far to the north of Thrace. The Greeks thought that Boreas, the North Wind,[1] lived in Thrace, and that therefore Hyperborea was an unspecified region in the northern lands that lay beyond Scythia. Their land, called Hyperborea or Hyperboria — "beyond the Boreas" — was perfect, with the sun shining twenty-four hours a day, which - if true - suggests a possible location within the Arctic Circle.

Never the Muse is absent
from their ways: lyres clash and flutes cry
and everywhere maiden choruses whirling.
Neither disease nor bitter old age is mixed
in their sacred blood; far from labor and battle they live.
- Pindar, Tenth Pythian Ode; translated by Richmond Lattimore.

Reaching such exotic lands is never easy; Pindar cautioned:

neither by ship nor on foot would you find
the marvellous road to the assembly of the Hyperboreans.

But OL... you just posted info that suggests otherwise and OMG! you even bolded it etc!

Yes, and the same Source then EXPLICITY CONTRADICTS ITSELF!

From Source:-

Legends
Alone among the Twelve Olympians, Apollo was venerated among the Hyperboreans, the Hellenes thought: he spent his winter amongst them.

Ok OL, so just who is this Apollo???
And when exactly was "his winter"???

Same Source but different Article:-

Apollo [wiki]

In literary contexts, Apollo represents harmony, order, and reason—characteristics contrasted with those of Dionysus, god of wine, who represents ecstasy and disorder. The contrast between the roles of these gods is reflected in the adjectives Apollonian and Dionysian. However, the Greeks thought of the two qualities as complementary: the two gods are brothers, and when Apollo at winter left for Hyperborea, he would leave the Delphic oracle to Dionysus. This contrast appears to be shown on the two sides of the Borghese Vase.

In Delos, there was an oracle to the Delian Apollo, during summer. The Hieron (Sanctuary) of Apollo adjacent to the Sacred Lake, was the place where the god was said to have been born. [EDIT: Its inclusion will become apparent soon enuff, so note the summer bit OK!
]
In Delphi, the Pythia became filled with the pneuma of Apollo, said to come from a spring inside the Adyton.

Same Source but related Article:-

Delphi [wiki]

People consulted the Delphic oracle on everything from important matters of public policy to personal affairs. The oracle could not be consulted during the winter months, for this was traditionally the time when Apollo would live among the Hyperboreans. Dionysus would inhabit the temple during his absence.

Seems so good so far OL, but I'm a tired and lazy lurker so you'd best be giving us all a real good geography lesson with pretty pictures and all that jazz!
ESPECIALLY since you aussies claim you are all so good at it...

RE: Shocking: New Zealand and Australia are out of their place on the map [ATS]

95% of People not from Australia or New Zealand, suck at Geography [ATS]

98 ATS members and Counting...Australia "Out of Place" [ATS]

But I digress... OI! Focus OK!...Where??? HERE! [
you can read them later for the lulz
]
Uhmmm?... Go grab a cuppa and we'll have a 5min smoko break... Enjoy the interlude =====>

You want to dance? Lets Go!

For those wanting a longer interlude I humbly offer this BTS thread... [Sign in for best veiwing pleasure ]

Greek Music [BTS]

OK, has everybody made a libation of some kind to some altar i.e. wetted your tongue, wizzed in the porcelaine etc? Good!
We can now move on with the pretty pictu...uhm geography lesson [cough]!

BUT 1ST... A WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS [go on..click an advert and make em happy
OR better still PIMPSLAP this thread with stars and flags if you hate it and me, but if you love it then please make a thread alert and bug the
about that crazy mad tin hat poster that is loping around the forum and smiting trollish ignorance with a wikidly brutal and blunt, side splitting humourous [bloodletting?] Pun[ishing]! If you just like it and yet still hate me then please ignore me as I have no time for half hearted haters!
]

So where is Greece [wiki]?

Geography of Greece [wiki]

Which Hemisphere is Greece located in? [trueknowledge.com]

Answer: The Northern Hemisphere!

Why is that important OL and where are the pictu...uhm the proof?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/91b75bf4c79c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/93d5f0c2767a.png[/atsimg]

Personal Disclosure: I have an intimate insight into these matters since I am an avatar of Hermes!

Hail Eris! Hail Achlys!

Edited spelling fail in title.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Nobody seems to be responding to this, probably because you got lost somewhere in the middle of your argument and did not get around to completing your point.
Let me finish it off for you.

I think your argument is;
The Greeks said that Apollo (the sun) spent the winter in Hyperborea.
But the sun actually spends the northern winter "in" the southern hemisphere.
Therefore Hyperborea is in the southern hemisphere.

The flaw in this argument is the meaning of the word Hyperborea.
"The Far North".

I think the your true argument would have to be;
The Greeks said that Apollo spends the winter in Hyperborea.
But the sun actually spends the northern winter in the southern hemisphere.
Therefore the Greeks were mistaken.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well technically, if you pick the "North" direction, and go that way past the Arctic, and keep going that same way, you will eventually land in the Antarctic.

So maybe that is how the Piri Reis map and the Mercator maps etc etc have places like Greenland and Antarctica extremely accurate.

Why because they obviously had world wide travel back far before we can imagine.

So maybe Antarctica is indeed Atlantis after all.

The legend states directly the location of "Hyperborea was perfect",
and the sun was up all the time. They loved Apollo too it claims.

However, we have 1 problem. Age.

Ancient Greece happened at least 9000 years after the flood of Atlantis according to reports passed down by Plato which he got from someone whom got it from Solon.

So this would mean, if any of this is even half-true. That Apollo lived during the time of Atlantis. Granted that Antarctica is indeed the frozen remains of Atlantis, and that Hyperborea is also Atlantis/Antarctica.

Fun discussion. Love the topic!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Didn't plato place Atlantis to the west of Greece if I'm
not all that off?
--
What if North for the greeks is South for us?
I mean, north and south are just words,
they don't mean anything
unless we give them a meaning.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Explanation: Yes I am shamelessly and wantonly Bumping this thread! :shk:

Personal Disclosure: Yes I was quite scattered when I posted this thread... I put it down to fighting off the inscesant mind control..oh and my tin foil hat slipped slightly which caused me to waffle on instead of
'ing!

P.S. Since this thread is mostly steaming waffle, I recommend taking it with a bowl of refreshing icecream OK!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a hoax? the greeks knew that apollos shepards just across the danube built mythologically huge cities etc and had been doing that for thousands of years. it is true that if you look at what they built its pretty hard to call it anything but mythical.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Explanation: Bumped to help generate ad revenue!

Personal Disclosure: Enjoy!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

HYPERBOREA was a fabulous realm of eternal spring located in the far north beyond the land of winter. Its people were a blessed, long-lived race free of war, hard toil, and the ravages of old age and disease.

www.theoi.com...

Hyperborea wasn't located anywhere on the planet.The actual description reminds more of the Shambala/hollow earth legends.Only the gods were able to go to Hyperborea and the mortals that managed to find the place they used artifacts taken or stolen from the gods.

top topics

join