It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[video] The potential spread of the oil spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I was introduced to this video a few minutes ago by an old teacher of mine, did a quick search and couldn't find it on these forums yet (please tell me if I missed it). The video shows the possibility (from what I can see, a very probable possibility) of how and where the oil spill may reach if it isn't prevented properly from spreading any further - and by the looks of things, it won't be prevented properly.

I would love for someone to prove this wrong! It seems sound to me, but perhaps someone with more experience could shed further light on the matter?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I've seen this video before, i've also seen something like it own fox news. Once that oil hits the current, game over. Many of the locals here believe this will happen. In another month we may be talking about east coast beaches finding oil.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Actually this video is using the early estimates...

Its much worse much quicker...

Also, keep in mind that the current being shown matches the surface of the seafloor as it relates to the coastal shelf...

So lots of this stuff is most likely already around the bottom of florida...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
True hunka. I'd love to see this projected even further. I had read something somewhere that said it could reach Africa or Europe. Maybe I can find that. I guess it depends on where the currents take it. Also would love to see if factor in variables, like erm hurricanes. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
There are 3-6 BILLION barrels of oil in that reservoir according to various estimated given by scientists in articles across the web.

We think the current situation is dire...well put the following into perspective

There are 1000 millions in one billion, right ?
So 3,000 millions in 3 billion

If we take the top end estimate of 100,000 barrels leaking per day then so far there will have been approx 6 million barrels leaked

If the relief wells fail then at then that's at least 2, 904 times more oil to come out than has come out so far. Double that figure if the reservoir does contain the top end estimate of 3 billion barrels.

I live in the UK - how would this effect our seas do you think and how long might it take to do so ? And what about the rest of Europe and other places in the world ?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Actually this video is using the early estimates...

Its much worse much quicker...

Also, keep in mind that the current being shown matches the surface of the seafloor as it relates to the coastal shelf...

So lots of this stuff is most likely already around the bottom of florida...

Do you know if there's an updated animation such as this? Hell I could animate it myself if I had the proper information.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

There is a LOT of information on this thread.... some up to date models... I never got around to adding this video... but i'd love to find a new one of these myself...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If I can get enough information I can produce the same quality, more up to date, video. I'll see what I can dig up.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
hehe

Revelations 16
3And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

4And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood.

anyhow,

I'd like to see a model that keeps it going just to see possibly where all it will go.

top topics

join