It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music of the sun recorded by scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Astronomers at the University of Sheffield have managed to record for the first time the eerie musical harmonies produced by the magnetic field in the outer atmosphere of the sun.

They found that huge magnetic loops that have been observed coiling away from the outer layer of the sun's atmosphere, known as coronal loops, vibrate like strings on a musical instrument.

In other cases they behave more like soundwaves as they travel through a wind instrument.

Using satellite images of these loops, which can be over 60,000 miles long, the scientists were able to recreate the sound by turning the visible vibrations into noises and speeding up the frequency so it is audible to the human ear.

The bursts of radio noise produced by solar flares.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

I love space noise.

[edit on 063030p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If I was hearing correctly that first sound bite sounds like a guitar being tuned, maybe exactly to E. Unless they changed the pitch a bit so we can hear it correctly. I dunno what this has to do with anything but its cool anyways. Sorta sounds like the THX sound as well.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I clicked on this link and my computer froze up like a piece of crap.
Thanks a lot.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm so glad they are acting like this is so cool and new, with no mention of Pythagorus, or Kepler.

How about that? What a novel concept. Musica Universalis.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Nice find, Ish. This is right up my alley.

I hope all is well with you.

I will be back in a bit to make some comments, but have to keep the meat from burning.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
OK, now dinner was served, and the kids will leave me alone.

To quote Pythagoras: "There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres.”

I find it interesting that we modulate the sounds of the universe into something we can project in sound. Would it not be plausible that if we were equipped to detect such biologically, we would hear it as well? Or feel it against our skin?

Sensory input is only that: input. Our reality is dominated by this input. Ingo Swann states that we have something like 17 senses, with most of them so subtle as to be drown out in the "noise" of the all powerful 5 senses that we commonly recognize.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RaymaNcouldbe

the first one was awesome.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

like 17 senses, with most of them so subtle as to be drown out in the "noise" of the all powerful 5 senses that we commonly recognize.

Yes, we lost something we once may have had.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

sorry about that.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

Link worked as expected for me. Not the posters fault.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RaymaNcouldbe
If I was hearing correctly that first sound bite sounds like a guitar being tuned, maybe exactly to E. Unless they changed the pitch a bit so we can hear it correctly. I dunno what this has to do with anything but its cool anyways. Sorta sounds like the THX sound as well.

Yeah.. If I have time I'll open my guitat tuner to check.. sorry can't now :\

Anyways very interesting "music"!!

Peace!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jolois

Originally posted by RaymaNcouldbe

Yeah.. If I have time I'll open my guitat tuner to check.. sorry can't now :\

Anyways very interesting "music"!!

Peace!

Peace

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

The tones are quite arbitrary but nonetheless pleasing.
Here are more examples of various (non-auditory) things being converted to sound.
Solar Wind

quake.stanford.edu...

www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu...

[edit on 6/19/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

like 17 senses, with most of them so subtle as to be drown out in the "noise" of the all powerful 5 senses that we commonly recognize.

Yes, we lost something we once may have had.

We still have it...it is just hidden in all the "noise" of your 5 primary senses and the grind of daily life. Meditation can help you find it, but you also need to spend a lot of time within nature.

Me? I don't think that is my quest. My quest deals more with learning, not action. At least, that is how it feels.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The tones are quite arbitrary but nonetheless pleasing.
Here are more examples of various (non-auditory) things being converted to sound.
Solar Wind

quake.stanford.edu...

[edit on 6/19/2010 by Phage]

Thank you, Phage

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

What do you think if you meditated to these sounds, this made me feel a little anxious,

I believe music and sound can have emotional affects on people.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

My quest deals more with learning, not action.

I am not sure I understand.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

That one is kind of...spacey

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Stormdancer777

That one is kind of...spacey

Yea, lol, I haven't listened to all of them yet, of course,

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

My quest deals more with learning, not action.

I am not sure I understand.

I have difficulty meditating. I had Lyme disease as a kid, and suffer from fatigue now. If i sit still, i get drowsy. Meditating ends in sleep for me, every time. So getting my primary senses to calm enough for me to be able to detect the subtle senses is close to impossible for me, although i still try.

But there are subtle senses that I am aware of. Such as the magnetic receptors in your hands/feet. Or the VNO (Google that one for insight as to why animals can detect your emotion).

The subtle senses are what most people mislabel and misunderstand as "Psi" events. There is nothing fringe or kooky about it...it is just extremely subtle senses that the human is capable of. And like any capability, everyone has different levels of talent with those capabilities.

Me? Instead of being able to actualize these concepts, i have to study them and live them vicariously through others.

If you want a good few days of reading, look up the Ingo Swann Database. I think you can get it for free on his website, or on Scribd. Just Google it. It is the best reading you will ever do, if you are interested in understanding the human mind.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join