It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relief map of GoM Seafloor.... where is the oil headed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So we have had lots of threads regarding visibility of the oil, as well as detection of the benzene and other chemicals etc...

I found a very interesting thing in this relief map of the gulf...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d71501320206.jpg[/atsimg]

The red area is basically where the heaviest of the oil will stay... and the stuff which has been hit by dispersants....

The slick will go further, which is what the yellow lines attempt to depict.

However, if you look at the ravine right off the coast of "Floribama" you will see this is also where they have some of the highest detection rates of benzene etc.... and that is because the plumes can make it further into shore, as the ravine runs almost right up to the Floribama coast....

Now Florida however is further away... this is where the sea animals are congregating... they are moving out of the deep water (where all the oil is) to the coastal regions in the shallowest areas....

Next, we also have the issue of the May 27th oily Shrimp catch off the keys of Florida.... well if you look down to the bottom right, where the keys are, you will see that they are right next to the deep areas.....

Nearly all shrimping boats abandon Key West after crew pulls up oil-covered shrimp

My guess is that the dispersants is what has kept this stuff below the surface, and quite possibly away from more coastal areas than it would normally have been....

It's all becoming much more clear to me now...

[edit on 19-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

[edit on 19-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Good post.

I've been wondering when we'd hear from the Cubans. This map highlights the fact that Cuba will be hit hard.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What's the position indicated 'RB'?

there appears to be line from it ?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The map is aslo somewhat depressing as it would suggest that anything held in 'suspension' at a deeper level may well have moved out into the Atlantic already ?!!?!?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
What's the position indicated 'RB'?

there appears to be line from it ?

This image was taken in 2009 as the NOAA ship mapped the floor... that RB line is the where the shop started mapping from and its path...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
The map is aslo somewhat depressing as it would suggest that anything held in 'suspension' at a deeper level may well have moved out into the Atlantic already ?!!?!?

Yep...

And that's why we see oily shrimp as early as May 27th...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The deep spot closest to the mainland is referred to as the nipple, by billfishers in Pensacola, Destin, and Gulf Shores AL. This is where they go to get sailfish, marlin, and assorted gamefish. I know that the sport has waned in the last few years due to the economy and fuel prices.

Wonder how the fishing rodeos are gonna go this year? Fuel costs are well over $1,000 to get out there and back in a 50' sport fishing boat. It will be interesting to see how the rodeos go this year--if they even have them.

I am from Pensacola, but I am in Texas now. I'll be there in the later part of July. Some of my friends are getting paranoid, and talking about leaving, due to some of the fears of sunamis and toxic chemicals sited elsewhere on this site.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

Thank you very much for the insight on "the nipple". This appears to be one place where the underwater oil can get closest to the shore line...

This goes without saying, however Please keep us updated as you get real accounts of anything happening in your neck of the woods.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This is one heck of an awesome interactive map!!

Interactive Gulf Map showing Oil spill location (and more)

Use the check boxes on the side and it updates immediately .. for the distance tool or the other tools look at the bottom .. I was trying to find out how big a 20 mile circle was.

The geology of this area is very, very strange ... don't cha think?

Also on Cuba ... if you zoom out all the way ... you can see that a landslide tsunami from a methane release here would pretty much go all the way to South America ... and all that crude and all that corexit ... and a LOT of water would not be welcome ... and so why is there a media black out on this? ...

Are we going to be upstanding World citizens and supply our Continental Neighbors with information and potential early warning, and assurances and set up diplomatic connections for the time being?

We are the Worlds Good Guys ... right? ... so we gotta do the right thing ... right? ... and BP will have to let us get good hard data before we can really make good on our obligations to those folks ... ???? right ????

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Serendipity7

Wow that map is awesome. I'm in Florida and this helps a bunch.

Haven't seen anything quite like this. Big thanks.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Serendipity7

Yep! This is great!

Thanks for the contribution!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I just did a quick search of Cuban news sites and it looks like they are not talking about the oil spill at all. Total blackout, me thinks, but again I only did a quick search.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Here is a June 19th satellite picture...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3435aea93b30.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The currents, tides and winds are what is driving the stuff on top while the current is whats driving the stuff that is susspended in underneath.

Loop current

Here is a site that shows the winds. Mind you that the wind usually changes at least twice a day around here.

www.sailflow.com...

Now, just look out for hurricanes. If a hurricane or even a good tropical storm starts up in the gulf and heads east it will push that oil right into our shores here in Florida. If not, the winter cold fronts that we have hear will finally do the trick. They usually start northwest of here and head southeast.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

Awesome post!

Here is another up to date movie which shows the movement of the oildfrom the 20th of June until now...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
here is our local weather channel's website. actually has the best radar in the state.

www.baynews9.com...

right now we are having a storm that is having gusts up to 70 mph and im pretty sure its blowing out to the gulf (west) so it should push some of that stuff back into deeper water...as long as the storm holds for a bit. in the summer here little storms like this have a tendency of poppin up and then dissipating.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Some angst relief? I sure hope so!!

.. came to my Facebook page ..

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This thread shows the following video which is based on much earlier estimates of bpd... so who knows how this is exacerbated... especially since the flows go along the same contour lines I highlighted in the OP...

And this thread points to the USGS site with a TON of information in that as well...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogbert
Fuel costs are well over $1,000 to get out there and back in a 50' sport fishing boat.

If it's a diesel, problem solved... just siphon feul for the boat off the surface of the water in the Gulf. Cost: $10 for a garden hose and $30 for a hand pump.

Those responsible for using and permitting the use of this Corexit crap should get federal charges filed and never see the outside world again. Not only are they committing crimes, but they are tampering with the evidence by hiding it a mile under the Gulf.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I think you all are on to something here. I hope more people read this and educate themselves further. The map you posted really put the spill into perspective to me.

Thank you for sharing

<<   2 >>

join