It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
So, this is how the obama administration is helping out with the oil spill, by allowing the Coast Guard (obama is commander-in-chief) to stop the governor of Louisiana from deploying barges that are working to suck up the oil?

The reasoning used by the Coast Guard is pretty thin - especially under these circumstances. They stopped the barges because they were worried about whether they had enough life jackets.

Anyway, here is the article.

article

Eight days ago, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ordered barges to begin vacuuming crude oil out of his state's oil-soaked waters. Today, against the governor's wishes, those barges sat idle, even as more oil flowed toward the Louisiana shore.

Louisiana Governor Jindal frustrated over decision-making red tape.
"It's the most frustrating thing," the Republican governor said today in Buras, La. "Literally, yesterday morning we found out that they (Coast Guard) were halting all of these barges."

Of course, the governor got the run around when he tried to resolve the issues and get the barges back to work. Seems if obama really was "furious" over this, he could at least order the Coast Guard to got out of the way.

Anyone still want to say the government's handling of Katrina was worse than this debacle?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If Jindal really wanted the barges to do their job, he wouldn't just throw his hands up in a huff about this. He would override the coast guard and deal with the consequences. He is as much a part of the problem as anything else. The combination of corruption and cowardice involved in this spill is astounding.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The barges were allowed to continue the next day.

Theres also another thread about this, search is your friend....

Crude sucking barges stopped by Coast Guard.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
If Jindal really wanted the barges to do their job, he wouldn't just throw his hands up in a huff about this. He would override the coast guard and deal with the consequences. He is as much a part of the problem as anything else. The combination of corruption and cowardice involved in this spill is astounding.

Read the article.

It clearly states that the governor does not have the authority to override the Coast Guard.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
The barges were allowed to continue the next day.

Theres also another thread about this, search is your friend....

Crude sucking barges stopped by Coast Guard.

Different forum, so this is allowed ...

2nd

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I still fail to see the point in recreating an exact thread, regardless of the forum this will be moved to the Deepwater Disaster forum.

I also fail to understand why its even brought up. Either of the threads...

But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

After Jindal strenuously made his case, the barges finally got the go-ahead today to return to the Gulf and get back to work, after more than 24 hours of sitting idle.

The story clearly shows the reason for the stoppage, and the fact that they were allowed to continue. Whats the big deal?

On my local lakes, if you don't have life jackets on board guess what they do? They make you go ashore. Man, thats evil. I don't know about fire extinguishers, but considering the probabilty of a fire when you are working with oil I'd say its all easy to understand.

Whats the point of the thread? Its not to tell the truth, or you would have stated why the barges were stoppped, and they fact that they were allowed to continue in your OP. But you didn't, so either you didn't read the article, or you purposely omitted those facts to suit your story.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
There is obviously something extremely sinister with this entire mess.
Something on a Biblical scale is happening, as everyone knows by now.
There are unbelievable evil acts going on before our very eyes, and our
government and BP is up to their eyeballs in lies and deceit. The entire
gulf region is ruined forever, at least that is what I believe. What is going
on with this earth ruining event?

If our speech giving leader had any guts at all, he would allow anyone
and everyone with the slightest idea on how to battle this mess, in with
their ideas and help. They should let everyone in the area to help if they
can be of help. Put the millions of unemployed to work if they would like
to help. This should have been done from day one, instead of talking
about it and studying it, and appointing another commision and czar to
scratch their asses over what to do. I am telling you folks, something is
happening before us that is unbelievably evil and sinister and horrible
and horrific.

The idea that sticks in my mind the most, is that this oil disaster is more
than likely a hundred times as bad as they are BSing us about, and they
have absolutely no way of EVER getting it under control. BP knows it and
our government knows it.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
And I'd like to retract my previous statement and offer an apology. It appears as though you did mention those things in your OP.

I still stand by my general point though.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

I for one am glad he posted it. I don't have cable tv or even a good antenna at the moment and get most of my news from ATS. I missed the first post of this subject that you referred to. . Sometimes threads titles are worded differently and some catch your eye and some do not.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
How wrong is this?

If I were in charge of the Coast Guard, I would remove the person that made this decision from power.

Petty bureaucrats should not interfere with the process of oil recovery.

What will they want next? Will they want to make sure the bathrooms on all the boats are ADA compliant?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Come on Gov. Jindal. Send out those barges and see what the Coast Guard does. As soon as you order the barges out, pick up the phone and call Rick Perry in Texas as well as 12 other Southern Govs and start talking about secession. Arizona might even be up for it. US Govt is out of control, poorly mismanaged,and unrestrained. Time for the South to rise again. The South has been the red headed step child to the US Govt for 145 years.

Feds aren't protecting the borders from illegals and now doing nothing to protect the coastlines. Let's protect ourselves. We have abdicated all personal responsibilities to the Fed for way too many years. Time to start taking it back. Talk of secession should be enough to make the Fed sit down and start taking responsibility for it's own actions. No need for violence unless the need to protect one's self from harm becomes necessary.

[edit on 6/18/2010 by vtcajun]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
If Obama had even a limited interest in successfully handling the Gulf situation, he would crown Gov. Jindal "Czar" and put him in charge of the clean-up effort. Sheesh! More and more evidence of how ill-served you are by the federal dimension of your nation's government.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
There is already a thread on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please check before posting as there are way too many dup threads on this forum

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Exactly, and I'm in the same boat.

---

Good find Centurion, though I wish it wasn't something that could be found. :shk:

Don't particularly care for Bobby Jindal, for reasons outside of the scope of the spill, but I would fully support that man taking some barges and ramming them through the Coast Guard if he had to in order to get something done. Not enough life preservers on board? The whole Gulf Coast needs a life preserver, and that's in the form of help. Our way of life is dying, in some places dead, and I have a feeling those barge operators are not very concerned about a couple of life vests in the face of what's happening. Not to mention if they fell into the water, floating to the top would be the least of their concerns after hitting that toxic soup.

Perhaps if Obama was in town they would be able to get through, seems like work always gets going right before a press conference.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Please join the existing thread on this topic, found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you,

Closed.

top topics

join