It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rooney banned from talking about religion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yup, Logic dictates, emotion does not.

I try and stay logical even though emotions can lead to a dark road.

Usually greed is the motivator for destruction. It's the law of conquest.

The zionists invade your country politically, let the debt meter run perpetually, and when everything is burnt up, they collect the debt, which can't be paid (from both sides of the warring people usually), so it ends in liquidation of human beings, I.E. FEMA Camps.

And the Central Banking Jewish Zionists win, because they end up with the money, the land, and the people.

That is why Thomas Jefferson said,

"If the American people ever allow private banks
to control the issue of their money,
first by inflation and then by deflation,
the banks and corporations that will
grow up around them,
will deprive the people of their property
until their children will wake up homeless
on the continent their fathers conquered."

Another goes, "I am more a afraid of a central banking system, then a standing army, for the army can be defeated."

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Quite right too!

Rooney is a footballer, being payed by the FA to play football, eat football and talk about football so yes i think in this case he should keep his views to himself.

He is a very famous person who could call up any paper in the UK in his own time and have his story heard the next day. The world cup is not the place for it.

Should he choose to talk about his beliefs in his own time good for him!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I would have thought that Rooney not being allowed to talk about religion has nothing to do with offending Muslims.

Here in the UK religion is the cause of the most violent of clashes between supporters. In Glasgow, Rangers are a Protestant supported club and Celtic are Catholic. In Liverpool, where Rooney is from, Liverpool and Everton are historicaly similar.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
All Rooney said was "It's my religion."

In what way is that a distraction from football?

It was the interviewers who pursued the line of questioning. Why aren't they at fault for doing so?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well the problem with Jewelry is that it is banned under the laws of football as it may become dangerous to oneself or others, which in my opinion is understandable.

Players do quite often wear bands of some sort, mostly for the death of players but i am sure there have been other instances. There are also rules about statutory kit which may cover this though. Also footballers in the UK are quite often involved with alsorts of charity work with no oposition from the ruling authorities.

www.fifa.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I wouldn't say it was a distraction from football, but it certainly could be a winding road. The press in the uk are vicious and would pounce on any slip of the tongue by him. So it may well be someone trying too look out for him and as i have stated earlier i personaly don't think it was the right place for it.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think the Media Relations manager had a point. Their organisation doesn't DO religion.

No organisation should DO religion. No GROUP of people should DO religion.

Religion should be private, and for individuals only. It should be kept for each and every one of us, as ours, and noone elses. The moment someone starts to proselytise or evangelise, they should be tied up and waterboarded until they shut up.

That's REAL religion - your own faith, the same as noone elses, and completely unique - just like all of us are unique. Your faith can be whatever you want it to be - just like you can be whatever you want to be.

Your faith should be as extravagant, or demure, as extreme or as moderate as you wish it to be. As long as it's YOURS and noone elses.

Why would you want to SHARE in someone elses faith? It's theirs, not yours. YOUR faith could be so much better, so much more, or less, it's entirely up to you. The moment you buy into something someone else has created, they have you. You are under THEIR control, you obey THEIR dogma, you are subject to THEIR religious certitude.

Quite rightly, the Media Executive in question made the best decision - "WE" don't do religion - Wayne might, I might, some the individuals contained within the team might - but "WE" don't.

Parallex.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Parallex]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You know what? I couldn't care any less what religion Rooney is. For me, he can talk about it 'til he's blue in the face. I'm glad he has something in his life that borders on spirituality. I would like him to score a few goals and God aint helping him in that respect.

The Nigerians have Christians and Muslims on their team. Before games, they hold hands in a circle and pray together.

That is Football. The great leveler.

Take a look around the world today, it's not like God has any favourites, is it?

Away the lads.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Why is that exactly? What possible harm could come from speaking about one's faith?

I hope others can illuminate the rationale, because I think restricting expression in this way, smacks of a denial of a person's right, and more troubling, the denial is born of something antithetical to freedom.

Personally, I think it has more to do with the combination of football and religion. There are/were a lot of people who associated certain teams with either Catholicism and Protestantism in those regions where the two sects waged often violent wars.

Football also has led to bloody conflicts with people fighting over their teams.

For those of you unaware of the conflicts;

en.wikipedia.org...

Sectarianism in Glasgow takes the form of religious and political sectarian rivalry between Roman Catholics and Protestants. It is reinforced by the fierce rivalry between the two Old Firm football clubs: Rangers F.C. and Celtic F.C. [1] Members of the public appear divided on the strength of the relationship between football and sectarianism.[1]

I think it is just a way to try and keep the peace so that football can be deployed as the distraction from more important issues that it is meant to be without starting little wars up again, that have only been dampened down for a very short while.

Just my take on it. I dont think it is an attack on religion in general, just an acknowledgment of the very recent past, and an attempt to not go down that road again in the present.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Oh no.
Now he can't talk about the Empire State Building not going
blue for Mother Teresa.
Or did he already.
He will probably retire now and join Ms Thomas in bashing the
Illuminati.
ED:
One More Thing
Empire State Building
Paint It Blue

[edit on 6/17/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
A lot of European and South American players make the sign of the cross when the come on or off the pitch, Kaka occasionally pulls out his I belong to Jesus tshirt out on the occasion that he scores. So i don't think UEFA, FiFA or the FA care to much about it.

The Algerians who we will beat on Friday would kiss the ground and praise Allah when they score(hopefull you wont see an example of that on Friday)!

I just don't think it was appropriate at the time and the FA spokesman understood that and stepped in. (for once they may have got something right).

I don't really see an issue but interesting none the less.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Can't believe that such a noise is being made about this.

No-one can wear jewellry during a game of football.
This applies at every level.
Think about the possible injuries that can occur with necklaces, bracelets, ear rings etc.

Pretty straignt forward!

Rooney's family are all of irish descent and he was raised a Catholic.
That's all there is to it.
No more, no less.

It was a team meeting about The World Cup.
It wasn't the place to discuss Transubstantiation or other tenets of The Catholic faith.
He was simply explaining why he wore it.

And it's not very common for British people to publicly discuss their religous beliefs, it is very much a private matter.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The whole thing is kind of funny because, if I am not mistaken, Catholics are not supposed to wear rosaries around their necks like a necklace. I'm pretty sure that's the official church doctrine on the matter (what people actually do is of course another matter).

If this man is making a public stand for his religion, he should at least know the basics about the religion itself.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

According to the Catholic Church rosary beads should not be worn as 'jewellry' or by 'non-believers' but many Catholics, including some saints, wear / wore them around the neck or around the wrist etc.

I don't think it was a public show of faith, I think he always wear's one and he was asked about it.

No big deal at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join