It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving Condoms Out At School

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Should schools be allowed to give out condoms at the nurse to help kids in making the right decision to have "safe sex," or does this give permission for students to have sex?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I believe the schools' responsibility is to teach our children English, Math, Science, History.

It is a parent's responsibility to teach morality, sexuality, discipline, respect, compassion etc.

The educators are having a hard enough time teaching the kids to read & write, only someone naive or neglectful would entrust them to instruct our children on how to have safe sex.....

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I believe the schools' responsibility is to teach our children English, Math, Science, History.

It is a parent's responsibility to teach morality, sexuality, discipline, respect, compassion etc.

The educators are having a hard enough time teaching the kids to read & write, only someone naive or neglectful would entrust them to instruct our children on how to have safe sex.....

I agree, but the question is are the parents really doing there job? And besides, its a matter of whether or not these kids feel safe asking their parents or going to the store to buy condoms. What it comes down to is, wouldn't this just be a little more helpful in creating safer sex?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I deal with foster kids allthe time and the parents of these kids .most of them I would not trust to teach two dogs to screw let alone kids....after all our job is not to raise kids but to raise productive adults

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKugs
Should schools be allowed to give out condoms at the nurse to help kids in making the right decision to have "safe sex," or does this give permission for students to have sex?

Your scarring me. Exactly how old are these kids that your talking about. When you say school I'm picturing a nurse giving a 6 year old a condom.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If you think that the schools teaching "safe sex" would help, I would offer the opposing view that the school should teach abstinence to our kids in school.

By abstaining, this would prevent unwanted pregnancies, unwanted STD's, and give the children a chance to get an education, choose a career goal, go to college, get a job with a future.

To be honest while both sides have good arguments, it would be fantasy to think either method would change the stats very much.

I still stick to my first post...

If and when you see our teachers successfully graduating students who know how to read, write, etc on a High School Senior Level and not just pushed through the system, then maybe the teachers might be able to handle a new class on their schedule.......

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
As a teenager who got SexEd at school and at home i must say i preferred School.

Free condoms and discussions on issues unlike a discussion with the parents. We got told about STD's, the risks, the good factors and it was generally left for us to device.

Teaching abstinence does NOT work, its been proven that abstinent people are likely to break their vows and then have unprotected sex because they are largely unaware of risks.

Stop your damn coddling, we can handle our own bodies. In the end its our decision, not yours so butt out.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
As a teenager who got SexEd at school and at home i must say i preferred School.

Free condoms and discussions on issues unlike a discussion with the parents. We got told about STD's, the risks, the good factors and it was generally left for us to device.

Teaching abstinence does NOT work, its been proven that abstinent people are likely to break their vows and then have unprotected sex because they are largely unaware of risks.

Stop your damn coddling, we can handle our own bodies. In the end its our decision, not yours so butt out.

It's good to have a kids perspective.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Mkugs wrote:

Who cares, the world should have one big giant safe orgy.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Yea, we just got to realize times are changing, we can't live in the 50s anymore. Look at the sexual revolution that has occured in the past decades. Teen idols flaunt their sexuality all the time. Kids aren't going to stop having sex, so you might as well work with them. If you want kids to stop having sex, you might want to lock them up in the basement.

Now a prostitute would be going too far

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer

Originally posted by MKugs

Your scarring me. Exactly how old are these kids that your talking about. When you say school I'm picturing a nurse giving a 6 year old a condom.

Around here schools begin giving out condoms in 5th grade!!!

It's good to inform children about sex, but fifth grade is a bit too young.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Yes exactly! Parents should do that. NOT schools! Parents sould deal with their uncontrolable children too...

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Most parents don't talk to their children about sex though. I grew up with my dad and well, dads don't give the sex talk to their daughters. So I think it's good that schools talk to children about it.

Of course they should wait until the kids are older.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yes this is the year 2004, where you can't flip the channel without seeing something sexually explicit. Telling young adults (i'll focus on 13-17 because obviously once your over that age your mature enough to deceide) to not have sex will not work because society has painted this marvelous picture about how good sex can be and that its ok to have sex and wear sexy clothes. Its not the old days anymore like someone stated here before. So start teaching and less preaching, the more educated they are on a subject the less harm that can be done.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarkprojekt
Yes this is the year 2004, where you can't flip the channel without seeing something sexually explicit. Telling young adults (i'll focus on 13-17 because obviously once your over that age your mature enough to deceide) to not have sex will not work because society has painted this marvelous picture about how good sex can be and that its ok to have sex and wear sexy clothes. Its not the old days anymore like someone stated here before. So start teaching and less preaching, the more educated they are on a subject the less harm that can be done.

Yes but most kids don't watch sexually explicit material. They start squirming at the sight of it. They more like phase themselves out of reality watching cartoons on Cartoon Network.

I guess the kids from low income families start thinking sexual thoughts early on. You could go to an extreme case where the mother of the kid works in the sexual entertainment business??

There has been news on msn.com, where some kids where these bracelets and they start experimenting with sexual acts.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Yes but most kids don't watch sexually explicit material. They start squirming at the sight of it. They more like phase themselves out of reality watching cartoons on Cartoon Network.

Wrong age group, I was focusing on 13-17. Believe me when i say they don't simply watch cartoons anymore.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
No, schools should not give condoms out. I agree with Jac, the public schools are already bad enough, teach them to speak correctly and understand world geography, not how to slide a condom on a cucumber

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Quick straw poll...

How many of you thought your parents taught you well?
How many of you would have been better taught by professionals in an enviroment where questions were encouraged?

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
In regards to the poll, I always favoured professional teachings. I was taught many things about STD's and birth control that I found useful later on down the road.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Quick straw poll...

How many of you thought your parents taught you well?
How many of you would have been better taught by professionals in an enviroment where questions were encouraged?

LMAO, A thought just passed through my head as I was reading this of Nerdling interrupting a conversation his parents were having. He asks his parent questions about sexual education. The parents then just look the other way and continue their conversation. Distraught at the fact that Nerdling would ask such questions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join