It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asks U.S. billionaires give away at least half of the wealth.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Asks U.S. billionaires give away at least half of the wealth

www.abcnyheter.no

Bill Gates, Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett has started a campaign to get some of the richest to give huge sums of money to charity....
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/16/2010 by eriathwen]

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/16/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Finaly some action with meaning..
This must be one of the best news Ive read for a while.
Hope this spreads around the globe..fast! Ive been waiting for something like this to happend, and its about time that some of the richest in the world are leading the way, and fighting for a more equal balance...

www.abcnyheter.no
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
How many will follow through with this? At least listen to this news. I have given to charities and help drives before and in my present state I know I only have so much. But I'm a generous person.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hopefully many....

Im taking the chance to post a trasilation of the whole article, cause its in norwegian, if this is a problem due to the rules of this forum The mods can eraze this post, but i think its of real importens that as many as possible read this.

The world's two richest men, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, asks American billionaires to promise to give away at least fifty percent of their fortunes.

Promises to contribute shall not be legally binding, but is seen as moral obligations in writing. They will be posted on a new website, givingpledge.org.
"Secret" dinners

Work campaign has been going through a series of dinners for some of America's richest. The names of most of the guests are kept secret, partly to prevent participants should fear being handed over if they decide for not to take the challenge anyway.

A year ago, in May 2009, it became known that the couple along with Gates, Buffett had organized a dinner party for billionaires in the home of David Rockefeller, who will be good for more than two billion dollars.

Philanthropy - charity work was the theme. Buffett and Gates did not mention the meeting at that time, that the press was characterized as "secret."

According CNN, Which is the first to provide a complete description of Gates' and Buffets campaign, they have started the biggest charity campaign in history.
600 billion dollars

Gates and Buffett has set itself the goal of getting the super-rich to transfer at least half of fortunes its for charity while alive or after his death.

They start with the Forbes list of the 400 richest Americans.

Their total assets were in 2009 at around 1.2 trillion U.S. dollars. If the 400 is giving away 50 percent of their wealth, they will therefore give away some 600 billion dollars. It is far more than the current amount, CNN estimates that about ten percent of the richest wealth goes to charity today.

There is also a large gap between what the richest giving away now and the Gates and Buffet want them to contribute, and the question remains is how many they manage to convince.
Think of success

Buffett thinks all rich think much about what to do with money her, and warns them not to delay the decision.

- If they wait until they is ninety, the chance that their brain power and will power is better than in day zero.

Melinda Gates said there are several reasons why rich people does not provide:

- They will not plan his death, they're concerned that they must employ people to help them with work, and they would just not have to spend time thinking on it. The goal of the campaign is simply to cut Review and geleide them to give.

She believes a "significant number" billionaires For given the promise of three to five years:

- It would be a sukess.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I'm for this as long as it is voluntary.

When it becomes mandatory, it is an abomination.

Buffett and Gates earned their money and they should do with it what they want, whether it is to spend it all on themselves, leave it to their children, or to give it to charitable causes.

I respect Buffett and Gates for their choices. I donate a goodly percentage of my pension, because to me it is the right thing to do.

I don't need anyone to tell me that, though, and I rather resent it when others presume to do so.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by eriathwen

Gates is actually known to be extremely generous with his personal wealth. I'm glad he's working with more of our mega-rich to get more on the bandwagon.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I agree with you, but this carries a great messege, I donate to, but my sallary is less then 2000 dollars a month, so when I donate it might be about 20 dollars... and this is not ment for "ordinery" people, but those who owne 90% of the worlds resourses... And thats the Importens, And YES it should be by FREE will!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This report is based upon an organization founded by Buffett:

Giving Pledge

While I am generally cynical of such public efforts by the obscenely wealthy, I cannot deny that giving away half their wealth would leave them still - obscenely wealthy. So I hope the better angels of their nature are involved, and this has little or nothing to do with wealth redistribution and the taxing of the super-rich in the world of tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yes, but every change starts whith attitude....

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Sorry, but whenever I hear of the super-rich setting up "Charitable Foundations" it sends a shudder down my spine. These Foundations are just tax-efficient, unaccountable legal loopholes whereby the rich can indulge their most repugnant NWO fantasies in total secrecy.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I completely disagree.

We need institutional changes, not the good will of a few wealthy people, whom will be replaced by more ruthless businessmen, because the system rewards MAKING profits, not giving them away.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Good for them, but not for me.

If I was a billionaire, giving half of it away ranks right up there with continuous kicks in the groin.

Definitely wouldnt happen.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by winston_jones

Absolutely correct. The Gates foundation is heavily into promoting vaccines, which is probably the number 1 tool for NWO population control and is likely responsible for the mass epidemic of autism (despite wihat the big pharma funded studies claim).

Lets not forget who funds the racist organizations, la Raza and Maldef, namely the Ford foundation and the Gates foundation. It's disgusting. The rich's so called charity is just a tool for world domination and subjugation of the masses.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by SevenThunders]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
And the thing that becoming more and more clear to me is the attitude of the people in this forum and elsewhere... All the negative that happens around are getting extreeme amount of attention, and the positive things that happens around us people just dont care to pay attention to, its been half an hour and not a single flag..... Dont missunderstand me, Im NOT after the flags, but I find it kind of strange that When Bad news is shared, they are getting bombarded with flags, but very little when its opposite...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eriathwen

I gave you a flag, FYI

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by winston_jones

yes i agree
the foundations get control of things with that money and they are generally using the power to the detriment of the people over all

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Yeah I hate to say it but giving it to charities isn't the best way to help people. If they want to really make a difference, why not actually give it to people who need it. Foreclosures are up 3 fold, unemployment is skyrocketing, poverty is spreading like a statistical wildfire... why not take the billions of dollars and make a real difference? Walk into those banks and bail out homeowners or build apartments for homeless people, buy some fruit at the local farmers market with it?
I know it sounds awful because we've been lead to believe that charities are a wonderful thing, but giving this money to the charities rather than actually helping the people who need it is a bad idea IMO.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by M0n0lyth

gates has said
they intend to achieve some 15 % population reduction world wide through the use of vaccines
philanthropist?

the vid is all over the net and on many theads here at ats

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

No you gave the world a flag... The change has to start with the attitude of you, me and all of us..

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriathwen
reply to post by Maxmars

Yes, but every change starts whith attitude....

Whose attitude are they trying to change . . . should we feel sorry for these
obscenely wealthy individuals . . . so they can feel better about themselves ?

Didn't someone just pay $2.6 million dollars to have lunch with WB ?
TO HAVE FREAKING LUNCH WITH HIM ? Just one damn lunch ! I wonder
how many starving people could've been helped with that very same
$2.6 million dollars ?

It's a joke. A big, rich person's joke . . . on us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join