It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sad neglect and abuse of animals who give us so much

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
That pig looks so cute.
Wonderful thread, nice job!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Thanks for this excellent post, and the lovely photos of the animals thriving and just being themselves, no longer possessions or objects of labor, but just themselves.

The treatment of and attitude about animals, their purposes, their "uses" and abuses all indicate our mental health status, imo, and in the case of murderers and predatorial humans, these things can indicate mental illness.

It does my heart good to hear the good ones, the fair ones, the grateful and compassionate ones who have taken the time to post on this thread.

I feel certain we will be held accountable for how we treat them, in this life and the next to come.

The more they are neglected or abandoned, the more people who care must stay involved in whatever capacity possible, donations, volunteering, and supportive prayers for those who go where we cannot and do what we cannot.

Our town holds an annual event (just had the 30th anniversary) called Do Dah Day. Local bands play, items are sold, and all the money raised is given to our local metro "no-kill" shelter and our county shelter. Animals are brought to the festival for adoption, and featured on the local news every week for adoption, even brought to pet stores to be adopted.

It is not everything, and we all know that, but it is a public affirmation of our responsibility for and commitment to the animals around us, no matter who or what they are.

Try having one in your town. It started off as a wine-drinking party in the parks to raise money for the shelters, and has now become the most anticipated event every year for many, many people. Other towns have picked up the idea and it's spreading.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
What a lot of people don't realise is that some abandoned animals end up in places like Huntingdon Life Science to be torturted and killed supposedly for the betterment of man

Personally I see animals as our elders and that has opened my eyes to the oneness of God.

Buy Cruelty Free Goods As Even Dishwashing liquid is tested on these innocents

Great Post

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Hi Muckster [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e07c1e81cc65.gif[/atsimg]What a wonderful post and you are right, going to a local sanctuary is a good family outing, you get to see animals, get a little fresh air and check out that the money you might contribute is really going to be used in a kind and wise manner.

Ever occur to you why some of us can be this much concerned with animals suffering? Because government is not. Why not? Animals don't vote. ~Paul Harvey

Animals give me more pleasure through the viewfinder of a camera than they ever did in the crosshairs of a gunsight. And after I've finished "shooting," my unharmed victims are still around for others to enjoy. I have developed a deep respect for animals. I consider them fellow living creatures with certain rights that should not be violated any more than those of humans. ~Jimmy Stewart

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

Never wear anything that panics the cat. ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael W. Fox, vice-president of the Humane Society, said that, "to call an animal with whom you share your life a 'pet,' is reminiscent of men's magazines where you (a figure of speech, don't take it personally) have the Pet of the Month." It is supposed that the continued use of the word "pet" to designate dogs or cats threatens to reduce their level of respect to the current status of twentieth century North American women. Now that's radical. ~The McGill Red Herring

From beasts we scorn as soulless,
In forest, field and den,
The cry goes up to witness
The soullessness of men.
~M. Frida Hartley

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~Abraham Lincoln

Personally, I would not give a fig for any man's religion whose horse, cat and dog do not feel its benefits. Life in any form is our perpetual responsibility. ~S. Parkes Cadman

Please don't "buy" from pet shops they support puppy/kitty mills and you link your karma up to and your money supports that.

Adopt from a local animals sanctuary or shelter.

I've seen a lot of animals unwanted, thrown away like inanimate objects.

When you adopt a "animal" they know you made a difference in their life and are aware you saved them, believe me all of my animal companions were "throw aways" and I have been priviledged to live with some pretty wonderful non-human beings.

A star for your opening post, Muckster and as I collect quotes, I've added the one you so kindly provided.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d35089a6507d.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 14-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Tried to post some Do Dah Day photos, but no luck.

However, it's interesting that a popular music festival went bankrupt and will no longer be held (City Stages), but this pet event is going strong.

No admission is charged, water and pools are provided for the animals, mostly dogs, but also snakes, lizards, birds, etc.

All the money raised is given to support the No-Kill shelters.

They also had a booth for clipping pets and gathering the discarded fur for absorbing oil at the coast.
I guess it made us feel a little better to do at least something in the way of helping.

That's what Do Dah Day is all about. All people and animals are welcome, and cherished.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Copperflower]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
We have a place here in New York, not too far from my home called "Double-D Ranch" which is similar to the place you describe. The owner bought the property which had some abandoned goats. His own kindness made him turn the property not only into his home, but a sanctuary for neglected animals on Long Island.

I came to find out about this place, when my sons Plymouth Rock Rooster lost his hens to racoons. I wanted to take the rooster somewhere that he would be safe. This guy welcomed this rooster with open arms and instantly was in love with the bird. Most would have just said "kill it" but it was a pet of my sons. I decided to walk around this property to see all of the animals. There are over FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY neglected animals that now have nice, clean homes and wonderful people to care for them.

Its so sad how human beings treat other living things. I truly believe in helping animals and now I volunteer at the ranch whenever I can. Sometimes I help fix the animals homes, sometimes I just talk to the animals and spend time with them.

Its nice to know that there are people and places out there that really care and offer help.

Star for posting this article. After thinking about all the doom and gloom in the world its nice to read happy stories.

ps- sorry if this post doesn't make much sense.. im a little out of it this morning.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

A star for your courageous stand and kind post. You also taught your son a valuable lesson, to value all life.

We need more people like you, Muckster and all the other kind hearted people here on ATS.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/786035bea49c.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 14-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

ps- sorry if this post doesn't make much sense.. im a little out of it this morning.

It makes perfect sense... thanks for sharing

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sink the Bismarck!

Most Excellent quote.

Now onto the topic, problem is we are a disposable society.
When people used to have farms or homesteads all of the animals were used and or had a job. Nowadays all a horse is used for is for some girl to run around barrels on the weekend every so often until she gets tired of said activity. We neglect the animals (Haa I said animals when we are the ones who exhibit such behavior) we have too often or use them for ill duties.
Well my doggies are loved and I have no other pets for now so I got a few covered.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Thanks for your kind words

Please don't "buy" from pet shops they support puppy/kitty mills and you link your karma up to and your money supports that.

That is so true... We own three cats... all rescued. We was going to have just one cat and when we got to the rescue centre they told us they had two kittens available.

We got excited thinking we would just pick one and bring it home... Until we discovered that a Cat had been found in an abandoned house with 4 kittens... The Cat (Tabitha) was brought into the rescue centre where she would remain until the kittens were old enough to be separated and given new homes.

While this was going on another kitten was brought into the centre whose mother had been killed.

Knowing that this kitten was far to young to be without a mother they placed her with Tabitha and her kittens... Tabitha immediately took to the new addition cleaning her and allowing her to suckle with the others.

Time went on and eventually the kittens were old enough to be separated... Most people only want kittens and by the time we got to the center (which was actually just a someone’s house) three of Tabitha’s kittens had already been taken leaving Tabitha with a son and her adopted daughter. We just couldn’t separate them... they looked so happy together... so we took all three of them...

Tabitha, Samurai and Ninja...

All three of them now had a safe and warm home... i fitted a cat flap to our garden door... And Samurai and Ninja became inseparable... They would often cuddle up together on a bean bag and sleep... Honestly, really cuddle, I’ve never seen anything like it... but have the photos to back it up (sorry for poor quality they were taken on an old camera phone)

First night in new home the cats enjoy a meal

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1814c3b721e7.jpg[/atsimg]

Ninja and Samurai cuddle up on the bean bag

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/091e09bcd8f6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6527127fa5c3.jpg[/atsimg]

Tabitha became a real lap cap and enjoyed lots of fuss... Sadly a year later Samurai wandered too far from home and was hit by a car. I found his body by the side of the road and buried him in our garden.

Ninja was never the same... she would wonder around the house meowing... i know she was looking for him. Ninja then disappeared for weeks at a time and became very elusive... The few times that we would see her she looked ragged and dirty...

she would not let any of us near her, keeping her distance... this lasted for about two years but eventually she started coming home more frequently and she is now sleeping in the house and eating regular again. She sometimes will jump up on my lap for some fuss but it has to be on her terms... whenever i give her fuss i always feel a little sadness... i know she still deeply misses her adopted Brother...

People say that we often project human emotions onto Animals and that they dont feel the way we do... I have to disagree... I have actually witnessed this cat mourn for the loss of a loved one.

Anyway... we have three cats again after adding another kitten to the family a couple of years ago (Yoda) a mischievous little tom who likes to keep the others on their toes

I will always get rescued animals... I couldn’t stand to think that animals were being put to sleep just because of my own snobbery or selfishness.

Sorry for the long reply.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
That black ram(?) is wise beyond his years! He looks strangely familiar for some reason...

To the second response: that is a life changing quote. One of the finest I have read this month, thanks for sharing it with us.

[edit on 14/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
People for the ethical treatment of animals... nutters?

So much for compassion.

According to the OP you are mentally insane if you believe in kindness and love for animals.

I'm not with PETA either, but its rude to call someone nuts if they believe in something strongly and have purpose in their life.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by The_Zomar]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
One of the main reasons I will not miss this plane of existence is the amount of physical suffering that goes on to creatures here.
Nature is a brutal and violent place that shows no mercy, but there is no excuse for what humans have done to the creatures that have beeen placed here.

I am one of the few people where I live that does not hunt, although I have in the past and can if I need to but the uneeded taking of life for sport is signs of mental instability. Most of the humans i have been forced to cohabitate with, I would not piss on them if they were on fire. As a southern gun toting White male whose political view is just to the right of Atilla the Hun, nothing sickens me more than the suffering of weaker creatures by degenerate two legged subhumans.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
How could we ever begin to treat animals right, when we can't even treat humans right? In fact, we are far worse to our own kind, than we are to animals. While I agree that we should be helping animals, we need to help ourselves first/more.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

Do some research on PETA. They are made up of unstable nuts who kill the animals they take in and throw them in dumpsters. Their true agenda is attention, not conservation of life because that would take effort and PETA is made up of spoiled rich kids that cant be bothered by responsiblity.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

This is not a thread about Peta... if you want to discuss that by all means start another thread.

It’s just my personal (and many others) view on them.

Even kindness can be taken to far my friend... to the point where it becomes illogical and even crazy... hence... nutters.

Peta would have us stop using animals for Diary, leather and food... they would stop things like fishing... Nutters!!

But that’s just my own personal opinion!

I am against needless suffering of Animals... i am against abuse... I do not buy factory farmed meat and always look for freedom food and organic. One day i would like to own some land... i will keep goats, pigs, chicken etc...

I will keep them in good conditions and well fed. I do not want them to have a sad miserable existence.

But a time will come that i will pick a chicken for slaughter... i will respect the creature and honour it with a quick death. I give thanks for its sacrifice and i will enjoy my meal knowing that this is the circle of life!

That’s the way of things...

If Peta had their own way they would remove the claws of Lions and Blunt the Teeth of sharks... Nutters!! LOL

But, like i say, that’s really a topic for another thread and is also just a matter of opinion.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

So, you went to an animal sanctuary, called Essex? Yep, we've heard of that up north.

Sorry, I shouldn't be facetious, you made an important and thoughtful post and I agree completely with what you've said.

I have seen some sights that, with each one, gradually knock down my respect for the human race and in place of respect leaves anger and at times, hatred!

The stories I could tell you are too many and far too common. Whatever story I tell you, like, for example, the guy who would decapitate kids bunny rabbits in the local area. Or the pony that was left till it was little more than a bag to hold it's bones, or maybe the dog who was obviously desperately scared of people due to her violent owner, who the dog obviously adored, not knowing any different. I could tell you of all those and more but you will only reply with the exact same stories in your local area.

We are supposed to be a nation of anilmal lovers! The RSPCA was developed before the RSPCC! Yet our furry wee friends are still so disgustingly treated, right under our noses!

And that's not to mention the international scale! The awful Dolphin and whale hunting of the Japanese! The seemingly gleeful Canadian baby seal slaughters! Personally, I literally could not harm a fly, seriously! Only today I saved the life of a wasp who had been in the conservatory too long. I took her outside in a glass, dropped a touch of water on her head and eventually she was strong enough to fly away (thankfully not stinging me before hand) but I occasionally feel that there is one particular breed of mammal that does not deserve my care and love!

How can we be so cruel? So cold and lacking empathy?! Could psychopathy actually be our natural character??

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
S&F

I love animals.

They are wise...and should live free.
In my book- zoos ARE jails, cirques = public accepted torture and farms hell itself.

But anyway, it's really NOT surprising humans abusing, destroying and exterminating anything labeled as "less advanced".

I hear a lot: "Hey, they don't have a mind, they don't have feelings, they exist just to serve us..."
Oh right. That really is a sign of an "advanced civilization"

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by plutoxgirl

Too right, i say openly i would rather have a dog for company than a human in real life. They have been so important to humans to get this far and its why they are mans best friend, shame some like aggressive dogs though, as i think it defeats the purpose of dogs in the home.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

Wrong, one of my girlfriends is pretty high up in PETA and she is of the most stable and moral charector. She would never allow anyone to kill and dump a non human in a dumpster.

She has lieterally risked her life to save some animals.

I'm proud to call her a close friend.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join