It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real reason they aren't stopping the leak. Damage below the sea floor.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I suggest you take a peek at this and use your own head on the SERIOUSNESS of the leak. Go to YOU-TUBE, punch in,( fox news calls for obama to nuke the gulf of mexico.)

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I never said this was going to be an extinction level event. At least for humans.
What I was saying is that there is way more to this than just stopping the leak. I did say this does have the potential to make a large catastrophe into a larger one though.

If the sea floor is compromised beyond a normal crack...if there is such a thing, this is such a huge field, and is under so much pressure the oil could break through an already compromised sea floor if the leak is stopped before a relief well or wells are dug.

If an explosion is used to collapse the hole in on itself, besides trying to figure out the logistics of getting the explosives intact to a depth of a mile below the surface of the sea, it could potentially cause the sea floor to collapse or depending on the size of the explosive, create a tsunami if the size needed is incorrect. Or correct for that matter.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I don't have much to add seeing as how I've broken my whoopass stick beating this dead horse, so I'll be short.

People of the world, we were unfortunate that this incident happened on US soil. If it had been anywhere else in the world, the US would have invaded within 24 hours, cut a check for 3 billion in relief funds, solved the issue within 2 weeks, and left troops there for years "just in case."

If only satire and truth weren't so close..

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comic
Looks like we're going to be screwed for years to come...

Way to go, BP.

Absolutely! Alaska is still dealing with the Valdez spill 20 years later, and that spill is much smaller than the BP Black Tide. Here's a link to a couple vids about the continuing Alaska cleanup even 20 years later! One lady in the vids talks about what happened there, and it will probably happen along the gulf coast. The dispersants are mainly being used to cover up the sheer magnitude of the disaster. Surface images are probably only 1/10th of the overall leakage. Folks, we got big problems.
article.wn.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
S+F

This thread was the one that made the dire facts hit home with me. I obviously knew it was bad, but, unless we can find someway to stop it (which I now know to be a very troubled task) America is in the deepest trouble imaginable. I never gave much credence to the Doomsday scenario until Bill Nelson caught my eye in the thread. I was raised in Florida and I have so much respect for Senator Nelson, I trust what he says.

To another point, we now have a very obvious vulnerability as a country. Until now, sure, we had many problems, but this leaves us wide open to attack. We simply don't have the resources to defend. I hope Americans are coming up with their own contingency plan, it's obvious we can't leave that to our government.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

[
They are drilling 1 relief well that is supposed to be 10,000 feet below where these pipes are already located. They then have to drill sideways and hit that first pipe.All this 15,000 feet from the top of the ocean. Plus, they have started drilling a second relief well too.

The more I think about this whole scenario the worse it seems this really is.

Why would they have to do that?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FuGGer

Originally posted by essanance
The truth is BP has lied to us from the moment it happened ,they new it was gonna be bad .Now its damage control for the Federal Government and BP and so sad for all the people of the gulf who will suffer for generations .
[edit on 12-6-2010 by essanance]

when will the federal govt take charge and say enough is enough. bp has proven to be unreliable and incompetent.

this is not a problem mankind is unable to solve. its just that the wrong people are managing and executing it.

tools/equipment? dont tell me the fed govt is unable to seize, force bp to supply whatever is needed to get the job done? lack of tools/equipment should not be an excuse for the feds to not take charge.

Just my two cents here. I am seeing a lot of chatter on teh net about this. I personally think its funny that the same people who fear the government is 'too powerful' also think the federal government has the legal precedent to do anything, anytime, anywhere.

I tend to think this is a bi-product of the Bush years, when he set the precedent of the Executive Branch having unlimited authority.

Study up on legal precedent. There is none for a case like this. We are still a nation guided by at least SOME laws, thank goodness. Maybe oyu shoudl learn a few of them.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

The truth is BP has lied to us from the moment it happened ,they new it was gonna be bad .Now its damage control for the Federal Government and BP and so sad for all the people of the gulf who will suffer for generations .

when will the federal govt take charge and say enough is enough. bp has proven to be unreliable and incompetent.

this is not a problem mankind is unable to solve. its just that the wrong people are managing and executing it.

tools/equipment? dont tell me the fed govt is unable to seize, force bp to supply whatever is needed to get the job done? lack of tools/equipment should not be an excuse for the feds to not take charge.

My thoughts exactly.

With any other kind of national threat like this (at the least), the US Government would have been ALL OVER IT. Why the *snip* isn't the navy out there? I would think that BP would be the LAST ones in control and calling the shots!!

We are talking about something with the potential of affecting the entire world and the ones that CAUSED it are STILL calling the shots? Billions of dollars are on the table and the ones paying it out are STILL calling the shots? HELLO!!! MR> EL PRESIDENT OBAMA - reality check! What the *snip* are you doing? Why are YOU and the US Government not in control of this? Why doesn't the Navy have a sub and a dozen HD cameras from all angles down there?

Why does BP have a private security firm ran by a former secret service agent closing down the beaches and not allowing access to media? Threatening them? WHO IS IN CHARGE OF OUR COUNTRY??!! It sure as *snip* isn't us, the amercian people!!!

It is so far out beyond the realm of feasability for the Government/Navy/Coast Guard to NOT be running this in a totally different manner, for it to be true. I believe more and more lately that BP CAN'T be in charge of this still, but we are being lead to believe they are for what, our protection? Our continued ignorance to the truth?

[edit on 13-6-2010 by westcoast]

You really might want to study up on maritime law a little bit. The government is not a superhero, and the navy does not come equipped with whatever magical technology overnight.

Yes, I also think the Fed should be doing more. But your scenarios belie a belief that superheros can swoop in and save the day.

Those of us who live in reality know that BP is still in charge because this is their baby, and they are the only ones who have the technology, equipment, etc, to even begin to address this issue.

And the legal precedent set if the Fed DID step in would set off your conspiracy alarm bells as well, wouldnt it?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
How can we tell who is working with BP when BP is covering everyones logos? Hell, here's them in action covering a logo, while under water.
------------------------------

Here they are erasing some logo, still haven't found out what it said.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
-------------------------

Heres them erasing some more...

--------------------------

And more....

---------------

Oh here you go, almost finished!

------------
So, with them covering logo's of the gear and piping they buy, of course their not going to announce who is working for them, let alone give you a list of employed private business's .

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
I hate doom and gloom threads. But if the above is true, then we might as well write off the Gulf states as well as some of the Atlantic states too.

Just like we will have to write off California or portions of it when the big one hits....

Unfortunate for the EU the Gulf Stream current will be carrying this
mess to your door step in time as well.

The supposed amount of 2 billion barrels is there, AKA 80 billion gallons,
then its gonna be one huge oil slick all the way to the shores of the EU.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
reply to post by odd1out

WHEN, NOT IF the well collapses, we then have a 30 foot, yes 30 feet!!!! of gaping spewing hole.

You know, I was just thinking about that earlier today. If they lose that BOP because of the extreme pressure of the leak, and it ablates the material surrounding the well down to about 1000 ft, what you get is like the sinkhole in Central America, but with the small difference of 40,000 bbls of heavy crude.

It would appear the current estimate on the size of the oil reservoir is
in the order of 2 billion barrels or 80 billion gallons.

www.theoildrum.com...

So the oil slick riding the gulf stream to the EU is gonna be gigantic.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

Thank you for this excellent point. Its sad that alot of the people that are sooo pissed off about this event are the ones riding in a Suburban or Tahoe by themselves.

In the end, it is Our fault. We had the opportunity to make things more efficient, but we gots to have our Escalades!

And heres a page that may help those who dont understand visualize what a relief well entails.

Relif well PDF

In that page is a PDF that shows in good detail the operations going on with the drilling of the relief wells. And no, they are not 50,000 miles under the sea floor!!

Plz people, let go of the V8's, the Tahoes, the Suburbans or we have more of the same to look forward to.

Buy a Minivan!

[edit on 13-6-2010 by ErEhWoN]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Several people have suggested closing the well with a Nuke or some other explosive. What about the other wells in the area? How close are they? Could they be damaged and make the problem worse?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Yes you are right and whats more, within the Gulf lies Mother Gaia's artery, they TPTB have now sliced into one of her main arteries and she, our Mother is now bleeding.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

Can you say burn to a crisp?

Nuking is not, IMHO, the answer - that would only worsen a already bad senerio, but nobody listens to me anyway.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by yuckysmurf

The LEAK ( stop calling it a spill !! ) is 50,000 miles BELOW the seabed.

Not to be a pain, but it should only be 40,000-50,000 feet- not miles.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

From your link :

According to BP data from about five years ago, there are four separate reservoirs containing a total of 2.5 billion barrels (barrels not gallons). One of the reservoirs has 1.5 billion barrels. I saw an earlier post here quoting an Anadarko Petroleum report which set the total amount at 2.3 billion barrels. One New York Times article put it at 2 billion barrels.

If the BP data correctly or honestly identified four separate reservoirs then a bleed-out might gush less than 2 to 2.5 billion barrels unless the walls -- as it were -- fracture or partially collapse
So the 4 separate resevoirs...do they all converge under the sea ? If they don't then the well that is now spilling is only ONE of the resevoirs ? I might try and find some map that outlines where these resevoirs are according to the 5 year old BP data

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
According to this National Geographic Article :

During the Gulf War, the Iraqi military intentionally spilled up to 336 million gallons (about 1.3 billion liters) of oil into the Persian Gulf (map) to slow U.S. troop advances, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Hayes was part of a team that later studied the environmental impacts of the spill, which impacted about 500 miles (800 kilometers) of Saudi Arabian coastline.

The scientists discovered a "tremendous" amount of oiled sediment remained on the Saudi coast 12 years after the spill—about 3 million cubic feet (856,000 cubic meters). (See "Exxon Valdez Anniversary: 20 Years Later, Oil Remains.")

Holy sh#$t

Edit - I am actually coming across wildy different figures for the amount of oil spilled in Saudi...this article from today says 36 billion which is a lot different to the 336 million gallons cited in National Geo while somewhere else says 240 million gallons

[edit on 14/6/10 by cosmicpixie]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by realmatrix

Can you say burn to a crisp?

Nuking is not, IMHO, the answer - that would only worsen a already bad senerio, but nobody listens to me anyway.

If we don't try something relatively extreme soon, then we might as well put a gun to our foreheads and pull the trigger. Why wait for a slow, excruciating death a few years from now?

Do people understand that DESPERATE TIMES call for DESPERATE SOLUTIONS? Does the president understand THAT? Probably not if you examine his lackluster performance to date.

I am NOT saying a nuke is the only solution, all I am saying is: ITS TIME FOR THE ACE CARD TO BE PLAYED VERY, VERY SOON! Use a scalar weapon, high powered lasers(if they exist), element 115(if it exists), kryptonite, plasma weapons....anything that CAN WORK, rather than half-ass methods that are DOOMED TO FAIL!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Just my two cents here. I am seeing a lot of chatter on teh net about this. I personally think its funny that the same people who fear the government is 'too powerful' also think the federal government has the legal precedent to do anything, anytime, anywhere.

I tend to think this is a bi-product of the Bush years, when he set the precedent of the Executive Branch having unlimited authority.

Study up on legal precedent. There is none for a case like this. We are still a nation guided by at least SOME laws, thank goodness. Maybe oyu shoudl learn a few of them.

Wow you must be a really big disinfo agent. You troll from thread to thread making up excuses why the USA government should not get involved.

Did the israeli navy give a damm about the fact A HOSTILE FLOTILLA 80 miles off-shore was planning to side-sweep isreali to dump weapons in gaza that were going to be used against them?

Why the hell should america give a damm if the oil rig is 50 miles off-shore or just 10 miles off-shore, IF AMERICA'S NATIONAL SECURITY IS IMMINENTLY THREATENED from millions/billions of crude oil gallons?

At the very least BPs performance has been non-adequate from day 1 and it will only get worse. BP is not capable of solving anything so they should go back to england and stay there.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join