It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those damn 'trumpets' at FIFA World Cup 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Really?

Is this how you exclaim your unique sounding excitement and add to the atmosphere of Ooohs and Aaahs or team chants?

Well I got a message for you: when you blow your chant through that god awful horn nobody knows it was you, or whose team it was meant for.

Because it just sounds like an annoying mosquito that needs to be wiped clean off the broadcasting microphone so we can hear the excitement of the freaking game again.

Seriously, this 'trumpet' is not adding anything but a perpetual drone of annoyance to the game.

There are no more 'swells' in crowd cheers.... just a drone...

End of rant.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You know what it sounds like to me? The swell of flies over a killing field. Now, that's a sorry thing to post in somebody's thread, but it's true. Now that we're past half-time, I'm getting more immune.

Now, perhaps there's a conspiracy in here -- maybe the South African players (and others) train with this sound, and therefore it can be deployed as an irritative weapon.

I have to be honest though....... if the Cayman Islands were in the mix and I could be there to watch it, I'd make ANY cultural sound that our players were uplifted by. If it irritated the opposing team, that's a bonus.

Secondary conspiracy: Apparently, at least according to the wiki link, SAFA, The South African Football Association argued against the ban of the vuvuzela in 2009, and won. They then allegedly financed the mass production of the vuvuzela used by football fans.

Third, and really sketchy layer of conspiracy (yet still a rant), is the tenuous evidence that the Nazareth Baptist Church:

claimed that the vuvuzela belonged to their church, and threatened to pursue legal action to stop fans playing the vuvuzela at the World Cup

Finally, if you're willing to expose one of your email addresses to the site www.banvuvzela.com, you can cast a vote.

How did I vote? That sound is irritating me right at this moment; I don't hear very well, and closed caption is really annoying for sporting events.

I voted against the ban of the vuvuzela. It wasn't meant to conjur up images that I associate with that sound. I would do the same, as noted above, for my country.

As a person who waches more American football and NASCAR than football/soccer, I am beginning to understand why winning fans sometimes riot. It's the sound and the scents and the sensation of football. That sound drilled into me for four hours would make me crazier than I already am. Don't make it right. It just is.

Edit to correct the spelling of my country.

[edit on 12/6/10 by argentus]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
www.last.fm...

You'd probably enjoy this group...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Its Tuneless!! Its the same as one long constant fart! ...Just with a diffrent tone.

We have similar horns in Football and Rugby here in the UK, but you only blow them once or twice then you get bored with them and watch the game.
Not constantly drone out the chants and singing with - eeeeeeeeehhhhhh... eeeeeeeeehhhhhh....
Ban them!
Before the Mute button breaks on my TVs remote.
:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I posted this on the ATS thread about the same thing.... saves me writing another answer, I'll just copy it here.

The Vuvuzela should have been banned from the World Cup.... they caused a storm and people were pissed off enough in the Confederations cup.... now we have every match being ruined because of these things.

I like hearing people sing and cheer and play the drums or trumpet or whatever... not a swarm of bees or a 90 minute traffic jam.... These things are really annoying.

On par with these things though is the Ball Fifa chose for this tournament... The Adidas Jabulani.... The most ridiculous ball yet.
The World Cup so far has yet to really take off because these stupid "Floater" balls just go everywhere..... every free-kick, corner... long shot, through-ball... have all been ruined by this crap ball.

I was really looking forward to this tournament but these things are pretty much ruining it so far.....Oh well..... there's always 4 years time.

:shk:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah, the new footballs move just like them cheap 99p Footballs (windballs) you can buy at the beach.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Pianist
Really?

Is this how you exclaim your unique sounding excitement and add to the atmosphere of Ooohs and Aaahs or team chants?

Well I got a message for you: when you blow your chant through that god awful horn nobody knows it was you, or whose team it was meant for.

Because it just sounds like an annoying mosquito that needs to be wiped clean off the broadcasting microphone so we can hear the excitement of the freaking game again.

Seriously, this 'trumpet' is not adding anything but a perpetual drone of annoyance to the game.

There are no more 'swells' in crowd cheers.... just a drone...

End of rant.

word homey...word

hate these things..

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I hate those Vuvulezu trumpets or whatever they are called. They piss me off so much. Each one emits a sound louder than the referees whistle, imagine 10,000+ of them. BBC made an audio filter to reduce the buzzing bee noise. Thank god for that.

new topics

top topics

join