It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of handgun would be best for a SHTF situation?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aziroth

Which State are you licensed to sell firearms?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by justthefactsplz
We need the basics: water, food, shelter. In that order.

Originally posted by airvicemarshal

This is raw bunk.

When the SHTF, it might be nuclear or if it isn't it might become so after communicatiobs have gone down. In this case, you can have all the food in the world, but you will be dead in hours.

There is virtually no way to determine irradiated food and water, filled with deadly radiation by sight.

The most important thing you need is not food water protection etc, but a GEIGER-COUNTER. Indeed, if you are the only one around with one, then you can trade your services for everything else.

Most geiger-counters are old Cold War ones that are useless as they depend on being recharged from the mains electricity which won't be there any more.

There is a great alternative though, and that is MEDCOM.COM. They sell light, handheld, portable Geiger Counters that use ordinary torch batteries that, logically, could be recharged indirectly using a battery recharger, a booster switched into reverse and a car engine. ANd at $600, they're a snip!

We went from a person looking for information about the best handgun for a novice to buy in a SHTF scenario to needing a Geiger counter because the planet has been nuked. I agree that a Geiger counter would be much needed after total nuclear destruction, but we may have drifted a little far from the Op's initial thread. I apologize for contributing to that drift by posting what my perceived requirements for survival in an unspecified type of SHTF scenario. I should have just posted my choice of best handgun. Having fired 22, 38, 357 mag, 44 mag revolvers to .380 and .45 caliber semi auto's I should have, just as others have done, just recommended my favorite. I apologize again for contributing to the thread drift. Now to return to the topic of the thread. Selecting a handgun is a personal choice. Go to the gun range and shoot many different firearms. Before that though, do some research on the web about possible SHTF scenarios. Back in the early 80's I did a lot of research regarding nuclear war and survivability probabilities. Such things as multiple megaton detonation blast radius survivability calculations, and wind born fallout patterns, so I agree a Geiger counter would be a useful tool to have. But again I digress. Choosing a firearm is a personal preference. When talking to people about their firearm selection I like to refer to it as like choosing what kind of underwear you like. You need to try different styles until find what you like.

Hey how about a good thread on possible SHTF scenario's

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

LOL

You just made me spray beer all over my monitor.
dang gonna have to clean up now.
Gotta watch those Geiger counters some-one could get seriously hurt.

ROTFLMAO I was sitting at my desk eating dinner reading your reply and it made me laugh so hard the corn I was eating came squirting out my nose. Sorry for posting this but I could not help it.
To funny
Thanks

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

If you really want to be safe, a 50 cal with titanium tip bullets. This will go thru your car like it was butter.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnJasper

learning about medicinal plants and how to cultivate those are a lost art now.. just think of how valuable a medicine man will be when all the "dr's" educated by big pharma have no pills to prescribe!! then only surgeons will be a more valuable occupation.. yes people will THRIVE and become KINGS who are valuable and self sufficient

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you have to use a hand gun , then you must go with a revolver.

It is easy to clean, does not jam, and you get a wild west moment when you use one.

SM

[edit on 12/6/10 by SkyMarshall]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I still like the 50 cal, it will knock down anything it hits, of coarse, not a tank. The 50 cal and titanium bullet tips is the ultimate hand gun and it also comes in a rifle. Go to U-TUBE to see the video, a must see. Shoots thru cars like it was butter.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by nite owl]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Some guns you can't go wrong with:

A glock or springfield xd in 9mm, or a ruger or smith & wesson in .357.

Other brands are outside the "sweet spot" in terms of power, reliability, ammo availability, and price.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'll take the 50 cal , titanium tip bullets any day over any gun that you can carry.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
www.maverickarms.com...
I would go for the 8 round one, only seven dollars more than the six round.
Bird shot for birds, small game, and people.
Buckshot for people.
Rifled slugs for deer, wild hogs, pad locks, door hinges, engine blocks, and people.
I believe it comes with a plug in the magazine, which is required for hunting certain types of game in certain areas , just unscrew the cap and it comes right out.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Glock model 22/23 .40 cal... it stops and it has zip...

Seriously... go shoot one you will understand....

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
reply to post by Tayesin

Don't tell me you are going to carry a bow and some arrows to a gun fight.

I'll take the gun every time.

People can dodge an arrow just as easy as animals, especially from a recurve bow.

The range of a recurve bow is not very good.

There must be a reason why the Indians all but disappeared.

Nope, I don't intend to be anywhere near lunatics going off with firearms if and when TSHTF... it's the bush for me. The rest of them can fight over what's left amongst themselves.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stinkweed23

Buckshot is pretty spendy for a few shells.

Not to mention it isn't as common as some good ole 2-3 shot steel.

Buckshot is overkill for a person.

About hunting deer, depends on the area. In ND it's mostly wide open flat land and all of our deer hunting is done with a rifle.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Oh nuts, trying to load a pic or two is driving me up the wall.
forget it.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Cosmic4life]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Any one that you are comfortable shooting.

Because handguns are close up weapons all you have to be a good shot.

Remember your best day at the range will be only 50% or less under pressure.

A large gun that misses is a miss so chose a gun that you both like and can handle.

Revolvers are slow on reload but more sure to fire and less likely to jam.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by ACTS 2:38]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I'll agree with Acts the best sidearms is the one you are most comfortable/proficient with. Personally if had to make a recommendation id say for a revolver a Quality .357 since it also shoots .38 opening up more options for ammo. If you want an auto loader id go with a .40 with a glock or or an XD. it may seem 9mm or .45 is a better choice for ammo availability but when you consider the amount of those weapons that exist in the public sector there are many more rounds per gun available in .40.

This of course changes if you somehow have access to a stockpile of 9mm military ammo, but in post SHTF i wouldn't count on anything but what you already have. During the ammo shortage last year there was still plenty of .40 available where i lived but 9mm and 45 was cleaned out.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
model 1911 45 acp. it has good stopping power and kevlar does'nt go over the eyes

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Well, I personally don't think it's really smart to have guns, what happens when bullets run out? can you make bullets? Do you even have the know how? I have personally several crossbows and a compound bow and several swords and daggers, those things are very good because one, yes I can make arrows and arrowheads, I can sharpen my daggers and swords, and I will never run out of ammo, as long as there is wood and stone.

Wow! I have been looking for a decent long bow or a recurve bow. I was on the high school archery team a century and a half ago and I wanted to give it a go again. I could not believe the cost of the bows. Just the regulars ones are expensive but the composite bows cost almost as much as a down payment on a car!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
My opinion--first, I'm not an arms expert, just a regular gun owner. I think a shot gun is the all around best, easiest to get ammo for , and reasonable to purchase weapon that a person can get.

One gun that I bought that is a great cross over weapon is a Taurus judge. I own one of these, and I love this gun. very easy to shoot, not much recoil, and simple to maintain. I have the 3" magnum version, and I have the hollow point shot shells that I frequently keep loaded in the gun. As with all revolvers, this gun is easy to shoot. The 410 gauge shells that it can shoot are readily available in many configurations. It also shoots the 45 colt ammo. Even though a little pricy, this caliber ammo has great knockdown power, and when buying the hollow point ammo for this gun, it makes a great self defense round. I didn't buy this gun for concealed carry, but mostly for home defense, or to carry in my car. My wife and I both got our concealed carry at the same time, and go to the target range to practice shooting, and safe gun handling procedures.

So for the best of both types of weapons--a shotgun round, and a 45 caliber round, my vote for great first weapon is the Taurus Judge. great gun.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Springfield XDM 9mm! 19+1 capacity,match barrel,NRA 2009 handgun of the year.... 9mm ammo will be the easiest ammo to find due to fact that every cop and thug in the US has one. You can debate its knockdown power but you can shoot em twice if needed with 20 rounds! Remember you will be shootin fellow americans so hopefully they will learn their lesson after the first hit and their ways or at least have time to make peace with themselves while they bleed out.... My POF P.308 is my game changer however.... my XDM is just its back-up....but hopefully I will just keep using them at the range on weekends though....

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join