It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of handgun would be best for a SHTF situation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I can't add much information in this initial post, so I'll just ask the question. I'm planning on purchasing a gun soon for personal protection and admittingly I've noticed things in the world that make me nervous. Hopefully I am just a paranoid conspiracy theorist, but having protection in these types of situations is probably #1 on everyone's list.

I have no experience with guns, I've never shot one despite living in the good ol' boy southeast. I'm a pacifist but I do completely understand the need for one in today's world and in any martial law situations. Would anyone be willing to recommend a good gun to get? I know money shouldn't be an issue when we're talking about personal safety, but it is. I would like something that is reasonably priced, easy enough to use, lightweight, and something that would work well in any of the scenarios that are discussed on this board.

I only ask this on this board because I was reading some other threads and saw someone mention that they see bad advice being given by gunshop owners. Mind you I have no idea what I would purchase, so I'd like to hear what yall think would work well in a SHTF situation. I apologize if this thread is misplaced on this board, but I don't really know where else to ask.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I have several long arms and hand guns. I suggest my favorite...

Ruger .357 magnum...stainless steel...rubberized grips

Reliable, easy to use and clean, can also fire .38 rounds, has a huge psychological impact on your opponent.

A smaller calibre will just piss off your opponent. The semi-auto handguns are probably better, but you have to deal with magazines, safeties, and the first round has to be chambered.

Maybe I'm a traditionalist/ old fashioned...but nothing is more intimidating than that big ol' barrel pointed at you and you can see the hollow pointed rounds....awesome.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

I vote a shotgun, if you are not yet a practiced marksman.

Also, me, I want to go to that Frontsight training camp outside Vegas...I had been planning on doing that this summer myself, but then I wound up being out-of-work for some months (just got re-employed two days ago, praise God) so I gots to put that off for a little bit...

Anyway, my two cents worth 4 ya...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I would have to agree eben though I dont own firearms or shot any but the reasons statedare the most important for protection. Why waste bullets when the gun is scary enough?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
No need for handguns. In the SHTF situation you need a shotgun (12 gauge) with bird shot. It spreads well and will take out your opponent faster than a sidearm (at the same distance). If you absolutely need a sidearm, then a Kimber 1911 ain't bad or as someone else mentioned a Ruger .357 is probably best. The best thing to do is just get out and shoot though. You won't know whats best for you until you fire it.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

The Glock 17 with hollow-point bullets.

Shooting the Glock 17: Hype Proven

Quote from : Wikipedia : Glock 17

Glock became aware of the Army's planned procurement and in 1982 assembled a team of Europe's leading handgun experts from military, police and civilian sport shooting circles to define the most desirable characteristics in a combat pistol.

Within just three months, Glock developed a working prototype.

The new weapon made extensive use of synthetic materials and modern manufacturing technologies in its design, making it a very cost-effective candidate.

Several samples of the 9x19mm Glock 17 (so named because it was the 17th patent of the company) were submitted for assessment trials in early 1982, and after passing all of the exhaustive endurance and abuse tests, Glock emerged as the winner with the Model 17.

I own 2 of them and would not trade them for anything.

And I have plenty of ammunition.

Just enough for me.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Hollow-Point Bullets

A hollow point is an expanding bullet that has a pit or hollowed out shape in its tip, generally intended to cause the bullet to expand upon entering a target in order to decrease penetration and disrupt more tissue as it travels through the target.

It is also used for controlled penetration, like in situations where over-penetration could cause collateral damage (such as on an airplane).

Jacketed hollow points (JHPs) or plated hollow points are covered in a coating of harder metal to increase bullet strength and to prevent fouling the barrel with lead stripped from the bullet.

The term hollow-cavity bullet is used to describe a hollow point where the hollow is unusually large, sometimes dominating the volume of the bullet, and causes extreme expansion or fragmentation on impact.

I love them.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

You should really take some lessons at a gun club if you want to buy a gun and have no experience.

This will help you figure out what kind of calibre (and kick) you can handle, as well as give you the practical training and the experience of actually firing one.

Don't just go and buy one because you heard "that one" was good.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
My vote goes to 9mm due to availability of ammo. It is one of the most popular handgun cartridges so in a SHTF senario, it will be easier to come across 9mm than other cartridge types. Also 9mm is more than capable of causing lethal damage and is easier for novice users. My wife loves to shoot my Glock 19.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
It's hard to beat a shotgun for home protection. The main drawback of a shotgun is that it's just not as "handy" as a handgun. In a bad enough situation it seems logical that you would want that weapon right at hand... as in on your body. Mossberg makes great shotguns and you can still pick up used ones that haven't been beat to crap on the cheap. Even new ones are quite reasonably priced for the quality.

Someone with no handgun experience should start with a revolver. Whether you ever "graduate" from that is a personal choice. Revolvers are "dead stupid" easy, and rather tolerant of slack maintenance w/ not a lot of moving bits to go bad at inconvenient times. There are three main drawbacks: They have limited capacity, are much harder to reload under stress and they are bulkier which makes them more conspicuous when worn if one has a concealed carry permit.

My suggestion: Get a shotgun and a revolver. If you have to purchase them separately, get the shotgun first.

Oh, and purchasing is only the first step. Then you have to learn to maintain it and of course fire and reload it.

[edit on 11/6/10 by Geeky_Bubbe]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I do know a little about weapons and it's my opinion that a 22 caliber rifle would be best to have for all around use. The rifles are usually inexpensive and the ammo as well. Ammo is rediculously cheap compared to higher calibers. I don't choose it soley because it is cheap, that caliber has killed more people than any other. No, it doesn't have knock down or stopping power but if you can put a .22 in the right place, it can stop anyone dead in thier tracks. You may want something that's good for small game hunting too perhaps and the .22 is good for that. the .22 is a good all around gun and you can purchase thousands of rounds and carry alot of it on you for cheap. Whenever I hear SHTF I think "survival" and this is a survival rifle. You want a weapon strictly for defensive purposes? Everyone has thier own taste and you will have to find out what yours is. I prefer an M15 because of the 3200 fps. bullet vellocity, it's armor piercing, stopping power, accurate at long distance, 30 round semi auto, just read up on them. Good luck!

[edit on 11-6-2010 by KrispyB]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Everyone has their favorite, it's like a car.
Taurus makes a revolver that fire both a 410 shot gun shell and a 45 cal bullet.
Springfield makes the XD 45. Remington makes the 870 shot gun and then there is Mossberg with the model 500 shot gun.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

yes! I love love love guns. my fellow ATSer u will have to take my word for it I have great knowledge in handguns and my gun of choice for you would be a .45cal Springfield armory XD or XDM. the .45 cal has great stopping power and dosnt really lack the ammo capacity the double stack magazine holds 13 rounds and the gun itself is very easy to breakdown and put back togather if things go wrong.. which they prob won't because thing gun is as strong as strong and can take a beating like the glocks can but also is just as accurate and easy to use the only thing I can say that makes the springfield better IMO is the grips and how the gun feels when u hold it. then again it's really more of a question on the cartridge ur using more then which gun because people usually buy guns according to how they feel personally. but here's a few I would suggest if a SHTF scenario came to be. 1. glock 18 this handgun is fully automatic and illegal but would work out great if u needed the exstra arm for carrying or other things. 2. the judge it's made by Taurus ( don't quote me ) it's a revolver type handcannon lol and it fires both 410 shotgun rounds AND .45 long colt rounds. 3. smith & wesson 500 ohhh boy this one u need two hands it fires 50. cal rounds and comes in a 12 with a 12 in barrel lol let's jus say if u shoot someone ANYWHERE on thier body there not getting up.... well I wish I could write more and give u links and sites for the info but I'm on my phone so feel free to M2M me if u want more info or links for these guns but great post love talking about guns!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I appreciate all of the responses folks, I really do.

I did have plans to put some time and effort towards going to a shooting range and learning how to use the gun I purchased well enough, but perhaps I should try multiple guns first?

My thing is, I'm thinking I don't have too long to go, try out multiple guns for a couple months and see what I like the best. I was going to select one first and then get used to it.

But a handgun and a shotgun sounds like a good combo. Is it bad that I'm liking that Glock 17 just because it looks completely awesome? I'm sure falling for a gun based off looks is a big no-no but I'm only human.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I agree with the Glock. Although i like the G22. Its a .40 cal. Little more stopping power than a 9mm but not as expensive as a .45 cal. Then again you dont need much aim with a shotgun at close quarters. If your gonna be bugging out when shtf id take the Ak47 for my rifle and G22 for my pistol. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by KrispyB

Talk about being shortsighted, I didn't even think about the survival aspect. I will have to look into the gun you suggested tomorrow when I have more energy.

If anyone else wants to give some advice I'd love it. I'm planning on calling someone about an 8 hour course prerequisite to getting your gun license tomorrow, and maybe go to the shooting range and mess around. Figure I should at least shoot a gun before I go about buying one.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
get a 6 shooter... nothing that uses clips who knows where you well end up... better to get something that doesn't need much maintenance. Guns with clips always run the risk of jamming. a 357 is the Navy Seals preferred secondary weapon.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/c37cfc485345e4c4.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/5b0d12009c77ac4f.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm a big fan of the Steyr M9-A1.

I have 2, and an S9-A1! lol

They are made by one of Glock's top designers who wanted to change a few things.

Let me tell you the trigger is so crisp it's Godly.

My Glock 19 just kinda fires at about half way through the trigger pull.

There is NO doubt when you are going to fire with a Steyr, though they share a similar yet radically different trigger safety.

They are standard issue, like the Steyr AUG assault riffle, something else he wanted to do that Glock didn't, across the world.

However, they are no longer imported into the US, so they went down in price are now around the same price as a Glock, as parts are hard to come by without a distributor who speaks English! lol

If you can find one, I recommend picking it up, and if you don't, let me know where it is!

And if your next thread is going to be what's the best assault riffle...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/ff75174965db4187.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 12-6-2010 by At0mZer0]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinalTruth14
Is it bad that I'm liking that Glock 17 just because it looks completely awesome? I'm sure falling for a gun based off looks is a big no-no but I'm only human.

Nah, it isn't bad. Sometimes I think half the country owns a Glock, though I'm a fan of S&W's semi-autos. Just realize that if you go the semi-auto route you have to master the TRB procedure: Tap - Rack - Bang. Master as in second nature master. Master as in your pucker factor has to remain in check under intense stress while dealing with a malfunction.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
For a handgun, it is hard to beat the Sig-Sauer P226 9mm loaded with hallow-points. The Sig is simple and elegant in its design, reliable and extremely accurate. I could not argue with a 1911 style .45 caliber; the .45 has great stopping power. The revolvers are definitely imposing, but the fact that it holds only 6 rounds is a liability, plus reloading is a bit slower than dropping and inserting a magazine even with Speed-loaders.

As for the shotgun, it is both intimidating and effective. You can't beat the Remington Tactical. There is no other shotgun as reliable as a Remington. Just my personal preferences. Best of luck. As others have said, go to a gun range that rents firearms and try some out. Then "Practice-Practice-Practice".

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I am similar to you except I've completed my purchases and in the range visit once in a while. I bought everything used in good condition from local gunshops and gun shows.
12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster
40 cal Glock 22

The comments about a 22 are spot on.
The is a book reference for pricing that you can buy cheap.
Good luck!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join