It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baghdad to cull a million stray dogs as rogue canine population soars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

www.dailymail.co.uk] Link

More than a million stray dogs roaming Baghdad are facing destruction.
The initiative has so far led to 42,000 strays being killed in only two months.
Teams of riflemen and vets are trying to thin out a rogue canine population that has reached at least 1,250,000.

We could consider this the biggest campaign of dog execution ever,’ said Baghdad chief veterinarian, Mohammed al-Hilly.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 11-6-2010 by dolphinfan]

[edit on 6/11/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
How does it get this bad. One stray dog for every 7 people in a 7 million person city?

I realize that things are not fantastic in Iraq, but to allow the population of stray dogs to grow to 1.2M is absurd.

This is a situation that could have easily been avoided had proper animal control been implemented.

Now you've got dudes walking the streets with rifles shooting dogs.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

i am a fanatical dog lover. this sickens me. they are noble creatures.

i understand the muslim view on dogs...but the US should not condone it if we claim to be a nation that values life.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

What is troubling is that there is no spay/neuter program mentioned either, nor is the fact that it has to be impossible to differientate a pet from a stray and what steps, if any will be taken to ensure that pets are not culled.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I don't see what is wrong with culling a stray dog population that has gotten out of hand. I love dogs and own one, but I don't really like packs of stray dogs in my neighborhood. I have neighbors that allow their dogs to breed and every year we have more and more strays in the neighborhood.

Yeah, I love my own dog, but she is spayed and we keep her leashed or in our yard and do not allow her to roam around.

Stray dogs can spread disease to other pets or humans. They become a pest and can destroy property, getting into trash, etc. Stray dogs can form packs which can then violently maul a child or unsuspecting person.

While I think it is sad that it has gotten out of control, unless you can find homes for all the strays, they will have to be destroyed. It is probably easier to shoot them than to gather them all up for a human eutanasia shot. If it were possible to give them all a shot or find a more humane way of killing them, that would be good.

Why don't they eat the dogs after they shoot them? If they have starving people, they could at least eat the dogs, as bad as that sounds. If they have to die anyway, at least maybe someone could make a meal out of the meat.

I'd have to be starving to want to eat a dog, but there are people who ARE starving, so if the dogs have to die anyway, they could at least find a way of using the meat.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I find it pretty funny that people think that the #1 priority for a country at war is animal control... "Hey G.I. Joe, there's another one, forget Haji over there with the RPG pointing at you, come help me get this dog to the vet for some neutering..."

Sheesh...

Magnum

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Eventually the same thing happens with people. Its called over breeding.

In Duroville, Calif., vets fight to tame population of wild dogs March 08, 2009|By David Kelly, TRIBUNE NEWSPAPERS: Los Angeles Times

THERMAL, Calif. — Mixing it up with the wild dogs of Duroville requires something between bravery and foolhardiness, the sort of quality that sends animal advocate Deanna Pridemore wading into a sea of muddy paws and bared teeth with little more than a soothing voice and sharp reflexes to protect her.

Inside the Animal Action League's specially outfitted RV, heavily sedated dogs lay side by side, their once hard eyes staring serenely at the ceiling. Dr. Robert Mills worked steadily in the tiny operating room, sterilizing some of the hundreds of battle-scarred dogs that roam this 40-acre patch of the Torres Martinez Indian Reservation about two hours east of Los Angeles.

"This is the most dogs I have ever seen in one particular spot," said Mills, a veterinarian with the nonprofit group, which was offering free spaying and neutering.
Ads by Google

Reservation dogs are an unpredictable lot. Wild, abandoned or neglected, up to 800 of them prowl the dirt roads of this desert shantytown of as many as 5,000 residents, scrounging for scraps and ready to lash out.

Over the past year, as managers appointed by a federal judge have tried to improve the quality of life in Duroville, complaints about dogs have risen.

Nearly all Duroville residents are Hispanic farmworkers inhabiting a congested warren of narrow roads and sagging trailers. With their yearly pay often less than $10,000, sterilizing pets is low on their priority list, animal advocates say.

One recent morning, Pridemore and fellow volunteer Gwen Turner prowled Duroville in their truck. It was raining, and the streets had turned to rivers of black mud. Some canines stood in the middle of a road, ripping apart garbage bags. Others lounged like bored street toughs. As the women approached, they rose, ears up and ready.

The volunteers set up a large metal cage baited with food. A small pit bull was immediately trapped. The others howled in protest as the cage was loaded into the truck. The dog would be back on the streets in a few hours, groggy and sore but unharmed.

By the end of the day, the volunteers had operated on 22 dogs and six cats.

"That's not huge, but it's pretty good," said the league's Jordin Kuecks. "It's a never-ending job."

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
lol sounds like a CIA operation, infest iraq with stray dogs and make them consume human flesh. it is not completely absurd. i remember once they wanted to point some kind of salt in fidel castro's boot to make him lose all his just so when he gave speeches he'd look funny. or how they flew around scaring soldiers into believing there were ghost lol.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Why do we care? I mean, for 8 years people have been decrying US/Allied involvement in Iraq and now that Iraqi government is taking it upon itself to handle internal issue of public health, it somehow becomes a question of whether or not US should condone it? Leave them alone to deal with it as they see fit.

If those in the US wish to focus on our own internal issues, let's chat about Wolf population control or something similar. At the very least, it is relevant to us.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Send in the Drones!!!!!

No, I have always had a pet dog, luv em....

But it would be a health and safety issue with dogs becoming wild and hunting in packs...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Well dog meat anyone?

I know it is gross and disgusting, but people are starving.

If you were starving, would you eat a dog?

Sounds like people should be thankful.

Of course make sure they are clean.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Call in the Chinese.
The only people who call a locust plague " a feast"

BTW I'm not knocking the Chinese, they are a race that utilises nature the best when it comes to eating, nothing is wasted as in the west..

[edit on 11-6-2010 by virgom129]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

What is troubling is that there is no spay/neuter program mentioned either, nor is the fact that it has to be impossible to differientate a pet from a stray and what steps, if any will be taken to ensure that pets are not culled.

Muslims view dogs as unclean, so there are likely very few pets among the muslim areas.

in thailand, they don't kill or "fix" animals, as both violate tennets of buddhism. if you don't want your dog anymore, you just drop it off at the temple.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Why do we care? I mean, for 8 years people have been decrying US/Allied involvement in Iraq and now that Iraqi government is taking it upon itself to handle internal issue of public health, it somehow becomes a question of whether or not US should condone it? Leave them alone to deal with it as they see fit.

If those in the US wish to focus on our own internal issues, let's chat about Wolf population control or something similar. At the very least, it is relevant to us.

i don't argue with this.

i just don't want US troops being the ones doing it.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

Locusts eh?

Are they High in Protein?

Bust out the chocolate baby lets get goin hahaha!

Yeah too much is wasted, except at McDonald's, they utilize 100% beef...including the eyes and tongue etc.

Mmmm tasty...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Locusts are very high in protein...

McD's in OZ says "100% Aussie Beef"
Thats not the same as saying its 100% beef,,

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

How does it get this bad. One stray dog for every 7 people in a 7 million person city?

I realize that things are not fantastic in Iraq, but to allow the population of stray dogs to grow to 1.2M is absurd.

This is a situation that could have easily been avoided had proper animal control been implemented.

Now you've got dudes walking the streets with rifles shooting dogs.

Maybe the US allowed it, they probably needed dogs, a lot of dogs, cut the stomach, put a C4, send the dog to the market, and boom, then claim it was suicide bombing to demean the resistance, to turn the population against the resistance.

It worked like a charm .

They even got caught once, by not with dogs, but with a car filled with explosives ^^

The occupied forces had to use force to release them from Iraqi interrogation, they broke the prison wall hahahaha

Don't let the same terrorism happen in Afghanistan, the NATO operation has already started, please don't let it happen.

They already murdered 40 in the marriage celebration.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Read a book, people.

Muslims will not touch, let alone eat, a dog. Most would sooner sew their lips shut than eat a dog.

Same goes for the poster advocating a spay and neuter program. They dont touch dogs. If they did, I am certain they have better things to do in war torn Iraq than play nice with the animals.

This is not a new problem, either. When I was in Iraq in 2003/04 I once counted a single dog pack with over 100 dogs, scared the crap out of me when they turned my way.

So many soldiers got the trots over there and I think a major reason was that the stray dogs licked the dripping water off the water buffaloes at night.

I remember even on camp we had to be on the alert for the dogs. I walked around after dark with a stout piece of broken fiberglass radio whip to ward them off.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
the afghanis have to many dogs

the chinese are running lo
the Chinese want to ban eating dogs and cats
animals.change.org...
the afghanis need work
the chinese have to much money

whats wrong with this picture?

the US could win some serious hearts and minds
but Noooo
lets pick the route that ticks the MOST people off

while i was searching for a good link i saw one that read
CHILDREN GOOD WITH DOGS"
I didn't open it

one hundred per cent (OF THE) beef
lips tips hoofs and tail

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

You are aware that we have a bunch of people over there ruining their economy, killing people and generally disrupting their lives and causing mayhem, right?

Thats how this happened. Its hard to run an orderly spay neuter program when you are in "shock and awe."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join