It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's not a spill!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Please, when referring to this debacle call it like it is. It's an oil geyser, it's an oil volcano even an oil disaster. But please please don't call it a spill. Spill is such an inadequate term for what is happening in the Gulf. The Valdez was a spill. Nothing was spilled here. Oopps, I spilled the milk. Who spilled the beans. He spilled his guts.
I can think of no way to use the word spill that in anyway comes close to describing the immensity of this epic event. Words are powerful so let's try to use the right ones here and not let the media diminish the gravity of the situation.
Thanks for reading.

(edit for spelling)

[edit on 11-6-2010 by xizd1]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I agree,

butttttttttttt.....when you say disaster/eruption it takes the blame element out. Spills have a cause. Don't want BP saying this was natural.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I understand what you are saying, you're right. Let's go for man made eruption or whatever. Spill is such a mild term, though it does imply an external force. Induced geyser, calamitous ejection, etc. How about disastrous spill or devastating spill as a compromise. I feel it needs something more than just oil spill.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by xizd1]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
How about 'leaky pipe?'

Just Kidding

ETA: How about we just call it what it is. An uncontrolled oil well blowout.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think its just semantics.

No matter what you call it, as long as people understand whats going on what does it matter.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Not to be argumentative but just semantics is not a thoughtful response. It's just an explosion, no it's an atomic detonation. Only semantics.
Semantics : a : the meaning or relationship of meanings of a sign or set of signs; especially : connotative meaning b : the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Word games either way.

I think the last definition hit my point.

the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings

[edit on 6/11/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I had hoped you would pick up on that. The media use soft terms so as not to awaken those that are asleep. A spill is not near attention grabbing or powerful as the alternative terms I suggested.

top topics

join