It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Graduated College - Have We Become Slaves? / Now What?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I am beginning to suspect that the once noble liberal agenda has been sabatodged, and that a hard-line totalitarian country is emerging from both sides of the political aisle that is easier for the people in power to maintain where the members of society basically go to work, come home to their rental homes, turn on the TV, and continue the next day... never actually doing anything that makes their life worth living. They might even have the TV on as background noise, or mindlessly play games without caring, or do drugs as an escape - but gone is the America that was full of life and hope that I knew even just a few years ago.

I have been sensing a change in this country towards fear - fear of speaking freely, fear of doing the job one wants, fear of having hobbies, fear of having fun, fear of thinking for oneself, fear of truth, fear of making a better tomorrow. Those once loved and repsected values have been replaced by a sense of duty. Duty to go to work, duty to excercise, duty to learn. That is terrible. We have essentially become slaves.

I have sensed this change on both sides of the political aisle. While at my liberal arts college for the past five years, I noticed a gradual shift from people being rebellious, ridiculous, and learning because they wanted the knowledge and a chance to have a place of their own where they could game, create rock music and have a wonderful life full of activity and **comradery** to a place where it has become a duty to learn, a duty to be skinny, a duty to go to class, and where people judge each other based on how much they know and how successful they are rather than simply relaxing, having some hobbies and working together towards a better tomorrow. People began to fall apart from each other as well, becoming isolated in their own worlds and it was less likely you would be able to find people who trusted each other or were willing to be altruistic in a group.

So, I moved back to a conservative town and have found it has become a place where people simply go to work, come home, excercise or watch TV, go to bed, don't engage in any intellectual conversation, don't seem to have hobbies they enjoy, and instead of thinking critically about their religion and having the religious values I am used to - which basically amount to not judging others, turning the other cheek and being a good person while still having a good time - have relgious values that have amounted to follow the code or you are excluded from the group.

In addition, gone is the laughter, gone are the hobbies, gone is the excitement of working for a better tomorrow. It seems to have been replaced with a society where people do their mundane activities day after day, for no purpose, not even to save money for themselves or their family or to own property, but simply because it is their duty.

I fully believe that how I percieve the world is related to how I am thinking at the moment. In the past, I was able to go with the flow and have a great life because the people around me were having fun, gaming, caring about each other and doing interesting things. I am talking about the late 90's and 2000-2007ish. Ever since 2007, things have seemed to become progressively darker and more totalitarian in the world.

I completely expect that, if things continue to go the way they do, we will be facing a world in ten years where people really believe that being a slave to society is their duty. If that doesn't happen, I might. This is terrifying to someone who grew up in a world dominated by free-loving hippies.

I learned one important lesson that you should all learn right now: for the past year, I have been cowering in fear, holding onto the precious few freedoms that I had left as they drifted away. This is the wrong move. No matter how scared we are, we have to start creating new freedoms for ourselves and a positive world to live in somehow. By cowering in fear, we let the people in charge take away our freedoms as easily as harvesting fruit from a helpless orchard.

On the contrary, any step that each of us takes to make this world a better place - no matter how small - chips away at the establishment. The only way to do this is by caring for people even if they don't care about you (you see they might not care about you because they are afraid you don't care about them), by taking charge and creating a life for yourself that is the one you want and setting an example for others.

Attempt to make an example of yourself as someone who, even in a position of power, does not judge those who know less than you or are less worthy

Following a code similar to this will make your own life experience better as well, because if you can change your surroundings and bring light to those around you, you might as well have changed the world.

Having just graduated college, I find it hard but necessary to transition from being a follower of someone else's creation to a leader and a creator at this point, something that is much harder than I thought, especially without any good examples to follow in today's world. It is easy to have a life of gaming and intellectual stimulation at college when it is handed to you, but much harder to make that for yourself in the real world.

I would like to know - how far off are my perceptions about the current state of the country? It seems like it might be accurate, seeing as the devastated economy and terrible world events may have darkened the mood. Does anyone have any ideas or advice, or other thoughts?

[edit on 10-6-2010 by darkbake]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
first off
congratulations on your college
accomplishment

Right about now, I guess you're
wondering about that red pill.
Welcome to the REAL world !!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
star+flag

Cool essay dealie. I agree with everything. Excuse the platitudinous reply but;

You're only a slave if you accept the mentality that goes with being one, or never realising you were/are one.

All evil comes from fear.

Live, Learn & Educate through Love.

Promote and facilitate the physical, mental and spiritual evolution of yourself, others and the planet we live on to the best of your abilities.

Be conscious of every minute and cent you spend - think of it as a vote to the direction the world will take.

Try not to dwell on the negative of reality - instead promote the positive.

Don't Deny Ignorance - Become Wise

*shrugs* - peep the sig

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

There's no need to talk about what other people are scared to do or say...the actions of others are not under your control and are thus a poor subject for your concern...all you are really saying is that your friends and relatives are lame - trust me, I been there - but the cure for that is to do the wrong thing, say and do what you want, be judged and cast out, and just keep moving in the wrong direction fearlessly - throw your life away, baby - and you will end up being a much more capable person, who says and does whatever he-or-she wants (and the people you end up hanging with will also be more wild and free - maybe you'll all be in prison, but so what, people in prison have fun if they are proper, too)...
The problem is not the external world (and if it was the world is hard to change since you ain't controlling it), the problem is always you...you can make yourself proper don't-give-a-damn and you'll do well in whatever external world...just take a wrong turn and keep going...is my evil advice...Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I agree. I've recently graduated as well, and I've come to the realization that the lives we lead are horribly mundane. Why do we work so much? You go to work so you can afford to live while giving away almost half your pay to the government so they can piss it away. Rinse and repeat. I hate it. I've really come to dread the thought of continuing this cycle for the rest of my life. It just seems so pointless to me. But what can you do? Stop working? I guess you could if you want to become homeless and cast out of society.

Indeed, we have become slaves.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Here's some tips for the real world.

1. Get a job.

2. Live beneath your means.

3. Only go into debt for big-ticket necessities.

4. Stay flexible and ready to change jobs and relocate at a moments notice.

5. Have fun, but avoid toxic chemicals and personalities.

6. Listen to others and learn from their mistakes.

7. Never compromise your values.

That ought to be a good start.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

See, I disagree with you on #1 and #5...I think the OP should sponge off of others (and/or eat out of garbage cans)(and/or commit crimes)(and/or join a cult) and positively soak in toxic chemicals and personalities...all of those things are concentrated education (like the difference between vitamins and food) if you do them and pay any attention at all...

Hell it worked out great for me, and I can even still spell "sabotaged"...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Life lessons come in all shapes and sizes - but learning from mistakes are good ones - learning from others is masterful.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

It worked for me, too, but I still can't recommend my mistakes to others. Many took a path similar to mine and died as a result.

Besides, giving good advice is best because it's something for the advised to fall back on. The advised will make plenty of mistakes without my encouragement.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

You described EXACTLY how I feel about the world today. NO ONE here even realizes what a waste their lives have become. Right now I must work a full time job to afford my small apartment and what little fun I get to have with the few people I have found that really still live.

We are being forced to work our lives away, how did it come to this? How do you get out from under their thumb?

I can't wait to put away a small amount and move somewhere to live in peace.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

For sure each of us is called to make his own particular mistakes...is why they have more than two horses in the race...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I can say myself I graduated last year. It has almost been a year and I still haven't found a job. I sometimes wonder if it is the color of my skin or my age. I have the skills and knowledge, but also could be just who you know because that is how the world works. Hard work and determination has been thrown out the window.

I am currently working at my job that I have been at for nine years and lately I have been feeling like I am working as a slave to make my boss rich. I get minimum wage with no chance of raise and no promotion. It is basically a dead end job. I sometimes wonder if he is also fabricating my work status to future employers just to keep me around. He knows if he loses me that he will have to find another employee and train him which would take a long time. I will say this is my last time I work at a franchise.

life is a bitch unless you know how to manipulate the system for your favor.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

You are making minimum wage? That's not a job, that's a waste of your time. You can make more money waiting tables @ Applebee's.

Don't tell me you graduated from college. You didn't, did you?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

You are making minimum wage? That's not a job, that's a waste of your time. You can make more money waiting tables @ Applebee's.

yup but I make tips as well. As I stated graduated back in 4th quarter 2009. I am a CGI artist and the field is flooded. It is basically who you know to get into the field. Wylekat, member on here, is also a cgi artist as well and he is having the same problem as I getting into the field. I hate it when there is a new industry they flood the market with people. The same thing happened to the computer industry especially when people started to make 60k a year. It is total BS.

It sad though that a person with less talent can get in with who you know, but a well talented artist with lack of knowing people can't get in.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Dear Graduate,
Congratulations and welcome to adult hood. You are not a slave, but an adult. If you want to eat, you must work. If you want clothes, you must work. If you want some conveniences, you must work.

Of course you don't have to...and then you would starve or recieve welfare and live off others. Those are your choices.

It's not slavery, even if you did your own thing, and decided to live off the land, maybe start a homestead/commune and forget society...it would be double work. Try clearing a field, breaking up ground, planting enough seeds and crops, and keeping it weeded. In between, you have to build a hut, cabin, tent...scavenge for food until the crops are harvested...and so on. Very Hard Work....

Nope, what you are feeling is what every student feels upon arrival to adulthood...fear, panic, dread, and a realization that now...it is all up to you. It is intimidating.

The reason your friends have moved away from common bonds with you is they now have stuff to deal with too. I doubt you will see many of them much in the future...they get a life, a family, a job, and a home.

Now, I also understand that you went to college with someother purpose than a "duty to learn" and a "duty to go to class" and were dissappointed that your friends did. Well, the reason by the Junior and Senior years is you realize, hey, this could impact my resume... and a job.

Listen up, you don't have to do what society tells you. you don't have to go for the 2 1/2 kids, a house, and 2 cars...one of which is a minivan....Do Your Own Thing.

It won't be easy, because you will be outside the box and there will be those that ostracize you. Do it anyway. Be happy. Set your goals, and you will find like minded people as friends.

I am a college graduate, almost bought the horse stuff fed to me, and I decided "nope, I'll do my thing." It's hard...but so rewarding.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well, I'm a 23 year old college student and I can agree with your assumption on college kids right now. Most have no clue what's going on in the world, and have no intentions on ever caring. BUT, that doesn't mean everyone is like that.

As my father always told me growing up, "Don't let your anger confuse you. Your reality is your perception. Everyone's reality is their perception, and we all don't see things the same."

So don't worry about what you can't control, for you'll never be able to control it. Just worry about bettering yourself and those around you and stay positive about life. That's what I've been doing for the past 2 years and life's been treating me exceptionally well. I still laugh when I go to class because 90% of my classmates would consider themselves smart but have NO clue about worldy knowledge, only what those "textbooks" tell us. But that doesn't stop me from expanding my knowledge.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53

Originally posted by harrytuttle

yup but I make tips as well. As I stated graduated back in 4th quarter 2009. I am a CGI artist and the field is flooded. It is basically who you know to get into the field. Wylekat, member on here, is also a cgi artist as well and he is having the same problem as I getting into the field. I hate it when there is a new industry they flood the market with people. The same thing happened to the computer industry especially when people started to make 60k a year. It is total BS.

It sad though that a person with less talent can get in with who you know, but a well talented artist with lack of knowing people can't get in.

Try combining your skills with another industry that has a visual component.

For example, I know people in the GIS (Geographic Information Systems) industry who are struggling with ways to visualize subterranean data. If you could somehow figure out a way to get some sample data (data they know longer value), and provide a FREE demonstration of your artistry to help them better visualize their data so they can "wow" their clients, you might just find yourself in a freelance position or maybe even a staff job.

Join discussion boards of various industries, look for key words "data visualization" "how do we" and things like that. Find industry "user group" meetings. They have no entrance requirement - and are FREE. Just announce who you are during introductions, and say what you do. Just you doing that may spark an idea in someone's head there, and they may approach you to have a discussion.

The world has problems that YOU can help them solve, you just need to find the people who have those problems.

Also, there is a growing technology called "LIDAR" - you may have read about it recently on ATS about helping archeologists discover ancient ruins in the Yucatan. LIDAR creates very large datasets called "point clouds". If you could get your hands on some of that data and play with it in your CGI software, dude, I'm telling you...watch the music video by Radio Head called "House of Cards", that's LIDAR.

LIDAR is also to your left, in my avatar. That's the point cloud.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by harrytuttle]

[edit on 11-6-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Sounds like your pissed off for growing up and then finding out a liberal arts degree isn't worth a tinker's damn in a recession.

How much did you pay for that education,again...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
life aint easy-never was never will be welcome to the real world.

how many thousands of dollars did u spend to find that out?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It's not just the liberal arts. It's most any field. Most professors are 100% certain that the field they are teaching in is the highest cause for them to be involved in. They almost have to approach it with that sort of "passion" just to land the job. They have to be brainwashed to that extent. My own business professors were certain that we could solve the worlds problems with ethics and efficiency. What do those two things provide in truth (edit: in a field position, in a microcosm that 99% of grads will be in)? More money for the stockholders, inevitably, the elite.

You were sold a false dream just like everyone else. That said, I rarely see a life that is a waste. Even selfish types generally have a more focused sort of love for their family and close friends.

If you are a human being who acts out of kindness or any higher prespective and learns from your life, then I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble but you are NOT wasting your life. What are we going to do when all the 60k+ a year jobs are gone? Are we all going to be worthless? lol. Will we then have no source of dignity? I think a lot of reality checks are overdue, too many people think their fellow man is worthless if he doesn't make bank.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Novise]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join