It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African doctor’s anti-rape condom has teeth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Yes, this sounds very weird. But it's really interesting.

www.metro.us...

A South African doctor has launched a new female condom aimed at preventing rapes — and she plans to give away 30,000 for free before the start of the World Cup. The female condom, Rape-aXe, is covered by tiny hooks which, in case of rape, attach themselves to the attacker’s penis. According to its creator, the only way to remove the condom is in a hospital — where the man would be identified as a criminal. Unlike previous prototypes, it would not cut the attacker’s skin, reducing the risk of HIV infection. Its inventor, Dr. Sonnet Ehlers, said she was inspired by a rape victim who told her, “If only I had teeth down there.” Dr. Ehlers says the device is vital to help women in a country with one of the highest rates of rape in the world. A survey by South Africa’s Medical Council found that 1 in 4 women in the country say they have been raped. Responding to criticism, the inventor said: “Regrettably, you are always at risk being killed by your assailant, Rape-aXe will buy you time to get away.”

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
doubt this will make things better, if anything the rapist will just end up killing the women or taking her to a back street doctor to get it removed.

Better solution is just castrate the ****

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
its a good start at least. might make them stop and think about thier own pain for a minute. might give women time to slit his throat or something..

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
wow, perhaps it wouldnt come out of the female either? couldnt imagine a woman shoving hooks in herself.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
this is certainly a welcome start to combating this awful problem. It's definitely not perfect but SOMETHING needs to be done.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluedrake
doubt this will make things better, if anything the rapist will just end up killing the women or taking her to a back street doctor to get it removed.

Better solution is just castrate the ****

Ha,
What's the guy gonna do with one of his main veins, pardon the pun, spewing blood from multiple cuts??

Don't think he'd still be in the mood by the time he got her to the back street door doctor in one hand, and you know what in the other, if you catch my drift

But you're right, I do feel if they are prepared to use their tackle in this manner, they should be well prepared to loose it!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

“Women would have to wear this every minute of their lives on the off-chance that they would be raped,” said Lisa Vetten, from the South African Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation

Quoted from a comment made about the article.
Seriously?
I'm a woman, and I'd rather take a self defense class that be a slave to that thing every day on the off chance I may get attacked.
Not a brilliant idea IMHO.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

“Women would have to wear this every minute of their lives on the off-chance that they would be raped,” said Lisa Vetten, from the South African Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation

Quoted from a comment made about the article.
Seriously?
I'm a woman, and I'd rather take a self defense class that be a slave to that thing every day on the off chance I may get attacked.
Not a brilliant idea IMHO.

You never know, they could make em with those funny ping pong ball thingies and before you know it, they all could be wearing one

Never know, they may even make them in team colours

Sorry, I'm in a funny mood.....

...er better quit now

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
About time!!

Something, ANYTHING for these millions of girls to protect themselves.

I'm all for castration, but you have to find them first, and with male over female violence, especially in South Africa, it could be anyone.

But they're all simple sorts, and if the have something wrong with their doodah they will go to a local clinic, or witchdoctor.

Nice thread!!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I don't see how this will help. It doesn't stop rape, it only mutilates their parts and makes women in general more paranoid. I mean really, what situation would a gal wanna wear a rape condom? If you want to stop rape, men need better male role models growing up.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It's a terrible idea, a woman is going out for the night, pops of of these in, gets a bit tipsy, forgets she's wearing it and gets off with some poor bastard. I imagine that would happen a lot more than an actual rapist being caught, especially considering that if this took off a sober rapist would probably just check first.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
It's a terrible idea, a woman is going out for the night, pops of of these in, gets a bit tipsy, forgets she's wearing it and gets off with some poor bastard. I imagine that would happen a lot more than an actual rapist being caught, especially considering that if this took off a sober rapist would probably just check first.

Or even worse - she sets up a poor guy and then uses the hospital records as evidence in court to lie that she had been raped.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

A very scary revenge idea.

It seems like if this device takes off men are just going to check for it. Also, wouldn't it be rather uncomfortable to wear all the time?

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Raustin]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
the whole rape thing is heart breaking. but come on! this was always going on across africa, it is now being brought to light, AND-- women are now reporting something that they didn't mention before because it was so common and expected to happen (rapes)..

these "majestic" african males have done wonders for themselves over the last 1000 years haven't they? i am sick of africa by now.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Rape has become a pandemic problem in Africa. Babies 3 months old are being raped in the absurd belief that sex with a virgin will cure an AIDS victim of their disease. Babies CAN'T fight back.

RapeX has been around for a long time but is not for sale in this country (yet). I heard of it a few years ago and went to their site to order some but got no reply from them. I've visited their site a few times since then but never get a reply from them.

For the poor women who live with the threat of constant victimization there, I think this is a great start to reclaiming their lives. No one should have to live under the threat of constant brutality like many of these women do daily.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

Nice imagination you have.

Please post some reports of this happening in reality. If it happens as often as your brain allegedly imagines it does, you should be able to find some cases and post them here for us.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Would you really be surprised if that happened? Seems fairly plausible to me. I don't think we are going to see an epidemic of accidental penis mutilation at the hands (or barbs) of this device, but it's still something to think about.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

So you don't have any evidence of this happening at all?

Figures.

Anyhow, you've quite the imagination.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Please post some reports of this happening in reality. If it happens as often as your brain allegedly imagines it does, you should be able to find some cases and post them here for us.

What? You mean a woman getting drunk and sleeping with someone? I would have thought that was pretty self evident and they tend not to be recorded in official statistics.

I can’t find any cases of someone accidently leaving one of these in but I suspect that is largely due to the fact that it is a new product that isn’t in production yet.

Indeed I do have quite an imagination and also pretty decent reading comprehension skills to boot!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I was simply agreeing with the poster that you needlessly shot down. As for evidence, the other poster seems to have done a good job in explaining why it would be impossible to cite. The device is not being sold yet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join