It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Constitution Reprint carries a warning label

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

U.S. Constitution Reprint carries a warning label

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5aa097f8d752.jpg[/atsimg]

Wilder Publications warns readers of its reprints of the Constitution,
the Declaration of Independence, Common Sense, the Articles of Confederation,
and the Federalist Papers, among others, that “This book is a product of its
time and does not reflect the same values as it would if it were written today.”

The disclaimer goes on to tell parents that they "might wish to discuss with their
children how views on race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and interpersonal
relations have changed since this book was written before allowing them to
read this classic work."

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Oh yea
it's just a damn piece of paper !!!
And it needs a warning label to show
kids it's not really real. It's just a
history document. Censoring the
US Constitution in print.

What is wrong with this picture ???

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

This document requires a warning label.

It calls for outright armed rebellion against the government:

www.ushistory.org...

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

If anyone bothers to read it, you'll see the face of our own government in the complaints lodged by the colonists:

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

God that all sounds so familiar.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

So, now I have to add a publisher to the list of those corps that I boycott. This is rediculous and our founding fathers were smart enough to allow for the document to be timeless. That is why they allowed the amendment process. It is a living and breathing document but only becuase it lives and breathes through the amendment process.

--airspoon

[edit on 10-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

So, no I have to add a publisher to the list of those corps that I boycott. This is rediculous and our founding fathers were smart enough to allow for the document to be timeless. That is why they allowed the amendment process. It is a living and breathing document but only becuase it lives and breathes through the amendment process.

--airspoon

I have to agree with Bush *shock*

The constitution is just a god damn piece of paper.

Rights come from God (or if you're an atheist, from our natural existence)

Putting them on paper is meaningless if the people don't have the balls to stand up and maintain the freedom God gave us.

That means taking responsibility for your own welfare and safety.

The 9th amendment makes it clear we have many more rights than those listed.

Government is no longer necessary.

It is time to eliminate it.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Nice Find!

This is the most ridiculous thing I have seen yet.

I just hope its not a sign of things to come...

People like that make me

SM

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

That type of mindset would not get the general populus (the people we need to wake up) in your corner.

You'd be likened to Iran and its calls to "wipe Israel off the map".

Nowhere does it say eliminate the government. It says to replace the government with one suited to fit the needs of the people.

I agree that the form of government we have now is all but useless and just serves to further its own agenda and not the one of the people. But a form of government is necessary.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyMarshall

IMHO
I believe it's going to get worse.
This is just a precursor for them
eliminating certain portions of the
document all together.

Plus,
if we do merge to be the North American Union
then it won't matter any more as it will
have a completely different charter, flag
and monetary system. And the constitution
will be useless after that.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

That my friend, is a truth that I foresee coming. It upsets me to no end. That is why I am encouraging anyone who reads this and who doesn't have a copy of our founding documents to get copies of them and memorize them, in case we have to rebuild this country's government someday.

A good place to print on out is at This Link

And Remember...

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

SM

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

A small publishing company ........

link

Well at least this isn`t some State sponsored reprint , just a farcical miss-calculation by a small publishing company, which has been seized upon by the media.

As for the idea that this warning label might help keep these works from being yanked off bookshelves, Francisco says it is more likely to have the opposite effect: people not carrying the book because it has the disclaimer.

link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder have Wilder Publications put this disclaimer into their stock of Bibles and other Holy texts ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I was watching Glenn Beck's Founding Father Friday about African-Americans (don't shoot me for watching).

Anyways, since I'm black I figured it'd be a great watch. There happened to be a black professor who gave me some insight I previously didn't know. When Frederick Douglass had the chance to read the Constitution, he believed it shouldn't be changed because it actually helped the slaves. His quote was:

Instead of encouraging slavery, the Constitution encourages freedom by holding out to every slaveholding State the inducement of an increase of two-fifths of political power by becoming a free state

&

This very provision, if made to refer to the African slave trade at all, makes the Constitution anti-slavery rather than for slavery, for it says to the slave States, the price you will have to pay for coming into the American Union is, that the slave trade, which you would carry on indefinitely out of the Union, shall be put an end to in twenty years if you come into the Union

It was refreshing to read that blacks supported this, it's not all like my history teachers throughout life wanted me to believe. My son will definitely have his eyes opened when he's older!!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I hate to intrude on the little outrage party you guys have whipped up here.

First of all calling an editor's note a "warning" is hyperbole intended to inflame. Nothing new in this regard, it is typical of Fox News. Quick suggestion here, just cause Fox calls it that doesn't mean you have to parrot them.

Second of all:

Article IV Section 2:

No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, But shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.

Later repealed by the 13th amendment:

1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
www.usconstitution.net...

Not sure what the problem is here other than purposely trying to find innocuous things to object to for the sake of an agenda driven exclamation of "see, I told you they are pooping on the constitution"

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
While this "publication" may be minor, I find the notion that one of the most significant works of our national heritage merits an advisory as if it were written in Shakespearean old English, disheartening.

The authors went to great lengths to be understood, and in understanding them, and the ideal they set as a goal, you can understand what our national culture is all about.

Pretty soon, they'll say only lawyers and judges are capable of plumbing its depths. The rest of us are to be "warned" as if we were too feeble-minded to grasp the complex nature of the so-called "rights" of people and the ridiculous concept of limitations of government.

I recall there was a time when we were too feeble-minded to read scripture...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster

Originally posted by mnemeth1

That type of mindset would not get the general populus (the people we need to wake up) in your corner.

Nowhere does it say eliminate the government. It says to replace the government with one suited to fit the needs of the people.

I agree that the form of government we have now is all but useless and just serves to further its own agenda and not the one of the people. But a form of government is necessary.

If by "a form of government" you mean private citizens arbitrating their disputes in a private court or by a contract arbitrator I agree.

If by "a form of government" you mean a State that extracts taxes at the point of a gun and imprisons us for victimless crime, I disagree.

As to the Constitution, its the finest organic law document ever written in the history of man - bar none.

However, I do not feel I should be subjugated under any man.

The Constitution of No Authority.
Lysander Spooner
Boston: 1870
www.fourmilab.ch...

The Constitution has no inherent authority or obligation. It has no authority or obligation at all, unless as a contract between man and man. And it does not so much as even purport to be a contract between persons now existing. It purports, at most, to be only a contract between persons living eighty years ago. And it can be supposed to have been a contract then only between persons who had already come to years of discretion, so as to be competent to make reasonable and obligatory contracts. Furthermore, we know, historically, that only a small portion even of the people then existing were consulted on the subject, or asked, or permitted to express either their consent or dissent in any formal manner. Those persons, if any, who did give their consent formally, are all dead now. Most of them have been dead forty, fifty, sixty, or seventy years. And the Constitution, so far as it was their contract, died with them. They had no natural power or right to make it obligatory upon their children. It is not only plainly impossible, in the nature of things, that they could bind their posterity, but they did not even attempt to bind them. That is to say, the instrument does not purport to be an agreement between any body but "the people" then existing; nor does it, either expressly or impliedly, assert any right, power, or disposition, on their part, to bind anybody but themselves.

Spooner destroys the Constitution in this paper.

I have to agree with everything he says.

I am my own master, I am not a slave or a subject.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
Oh yea
it's just a damn piece of paper !!!
And it needs a warning label to show
kids it's not really real. It's just a
history document. Censoring the
US Constitution in print.

What is wrong with this picture ???

well, its been going on for a long time - and they finally did it - they put in the same boat as the Habis Corpus - is now dead legal rights - how much more of this stuff can we stomach before we explode I wonder....

where is GoodOleDave - I'm sure he can explain this ~!

[edit on 10-6-2010 by anti-evil2]

[edit on 10-6-2010 by anti-evil2]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Iran or any of Iran's leaders (particularly Mahmoud Ahmadinejad) has not called for Israel to be "wiped off the map" or even anything similar, ever. That is a myth, a piece of propaganda spun by western media outlets and Israel. It never happened, period. That's not what he said, not even remotely.

I happen to agree that it is time to eliminate government though I also realize that this won't be realized anytime soon.

--airspoon

[edit on 10-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
When the government itself puts that warning label on the United States Constitution, then and only then will I have reservations. Now, this is a private company that is doing this. Protected under the 1st Amendment.

In my opinion, this was a dumb idea, probably cooked up by an idiot group in a meeting.

Of course, still, getting your news from FOX News isn't really going to help you get a clear understanding of the situation, all it's going to do is give you a massive amount of right wing spin.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkyMarshall
Nice Find!

This is the most ridiculous thing I have seen yet.

People like that make me

SM

A sign of things to come? No. This is a sign of things that have already passed. This country is dead, we are living off the corpse.

[edit on 6/10/2010 by minute2midnight]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder have Wilder Publications put this disclaimer into their stock of Bibles and other Holy texts ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some research this appears to be the case, though, only in regards to historical texts, not holy ones.

According to this Amazon.com link the publisher (Wilder Publications) puts this disclaimer before all of its historical books.

The same disclaimer appears in their copy of The Illiad and The Odyssey by Homer.

Sadly, I think my research will be for not and this may end up being the last post on the first page of a thread that could extend to many, many pages.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This is if course apalling. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. So tired of the things that matter most in the world ending up marginalized or worse, removed completely from view. This is the LAST thing that should be coming with a warning. It should if anything, come with words of encouragement to adhere to it and do away with those who don't! It's a sign of the way things have gone for sure. This will hopefully act as another in a LOONG line of events screaming at the average American that they had better wake up, and fast if they want any shot at saving our Republic!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join