It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Alabama, a Home-Grown Bid to Beat Back Oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

In Alabama, a Home-Grown Bid to Beat Back Oil

www.nytimes.com

MAGNOLIA SPRINGS, Ala. — James Hinton looked over a barge jutting into the mouth of a 6,000-acre estuary last weekend and said, “If we can make this work, if the oil don’t get in here, 1,275 miles of bay and river coastline will be protected.”

A day later, Mr. Hinton said: “I could go to jail for going against unified command. Now, I don’t mind going to jail, I just need to make sure it’s for doing the right thing.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I think it's great that they are standing together and actually trying to do something about the situation besides point fingers, or depend on hay. Kudos to the town and its residents.

I also like how they went on their own and purchased equipment, didn't wait for vouchers or requests for other assistance. They took the ball and ran with it instead of waiting for someone else to get the job done.

And what they've come up with is a pretty nice plan. Hope it works out for them and I'll keep my eye on this story to see how it develops.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
A true example for all Americans to follow. We need not depend on TPTB when you can just do it yourself. I applaud these actions and wish their plan the best of luck!

I'm glad there are those still unafraid to take action even with jail time at the end of the rainbow.

This is also a small example of how one man can change the world. He may not be super rich, he may not be super famous but today he is a true leader.

“We’re not going to wait for BP,” Mr. Houser said. “If we saw oil right there we’d close the bay right now. The lesson we learned from Louisiana is to act, not wait. We’ll ask for forgiveness later.”

Source: OP Article.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Excellent post! Star and flag for you. I love the spirit of a maverik that is willing to step up with a plan and execute it!!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is the type of volunteerism and take action attitude that built this country and made it great! Three cheers!!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Now, everyone notice something here... a town of less than 1000 people, with no scientific degrees analyzing the problem and no huge Federal monies, is doing the same thing that the Feds can't do, BP can't do, the Coast Guard can't do...

Simple countryfolk. Simple solutions. Simple results (I expect).

This is how you accomplish things.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Good on these folks! This is the olnly way this is going to get cleaned up by the people taking matters into thier own hands.

I sent them this video also and told them to spread it around and use it themselves!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Here's the ABC video about the town.

One town protects itself from oil spill.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Way to go. This is the only way this is going to get cleaned up, the people do the job. This is the only way any of the countries problems are going to get fixed.

Take some of these "good ole boy's" out to the leak, they'll probably come up with a solution and get it done.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Whether it works or not, it's good to see people that are actually doing something rather than wait for a handout from the Government or Big Oil.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

That was great. Isn't it amazing how much you can get done, when there is a personal stake involved? When it's personal.

And when you actually care.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is like spitting into the wind. This will take a huge, coordinated effort.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by b.jim

Yes it is a daunting task. But you know what? We have to try.
And communities like Magnolia Springs, who love their Bay and their region, will succeed.

At least they don't have to lie in bed at night wondering if they had tried, if they could have made a difference.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

top topics

join