It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. Christian School Fires Teacher Over

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
reply to post by Kharron

Religion is in charge inside of a private Christian school. This is not discrimination, she violated a morality clause.

And the US law is in charge inside of the United States. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

If you were, for example, a part of a religion that allowed you to beat up women, and you chose to practice your religion inside of a 'Private Institution' does that mean the practice becomes legal? What if the woman signed some paper, does that make it legal? What if all employees were subject to a religious sacrifice and they understand the risk and sign a paper, that means sacrifice is OK as long as it is in a 'private school'?

I really don't see how this is not understood. At what point do you think that religious beliefs start superseding law?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So when has Christianity not allowed absolution of sins. I think the best way to represtent what Christianity is about would have to forgiven her her tresspasses. Perhaps even thought about the saying "he who is without sin.....". It really confuses me that a religion based on forgiveness and understanding has so many followers that are so unforgiving and intolerant.

This was a real opportunity for the school to show REAL Christian values and I believe they failed miserably.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

And the US law is in charge inside of the United States. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

I don't understand what's so hard for you to understand about the fact that the school says she violated a morality clause. If they are telling the truth and she was aware of the clause, agreed to it, and then violated it US law has nothing to do with it. If it was a condition of her employment and she violated it then they were well within their rights to fire her. Do I personally think she should've been fired, NO. But they were within their rights to fire her.

If you were, for example, a part of a religion that allowed you to beat up women, and you chose to practice your religion inside of a 'Private Institution' does that mean the practice becomes legal?

That is such a ridiculus comparison that I won't even try to explain it to you.

What if the woman signed some paper, does that make it legal?

Are you seriously asking that question ? Yes if she signed the paper that makes it legal as she has agreed to the terms. Why do you think people have you sign things ?

What if all employees were subject to a religious sacrifice and they understand the risk and sign a paper, that means sacrifice is OK as long as it is in a 'private school'?

If they understand what they are agreeing to, and they sign an agreement , without duress, yes.

I really don't see how this is not understood. At what point do you think that religious beliefs start superseding law?

They didn't break any law, they exercised their right to terminate her contract.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Similar story happened to a friend I know in Australia (where Christian Schools do get a portion of government funding).

Teacher fell pregnant and kept it quiet. Two months later, teacher married the father. A month later, when starting to show, teacher told the School that she will need to resign at end of term, because she was pregnant. The School did the math and realised she was pregnant before being married.

The next day, the School told the teacher don't come back, they were going to pay out the teacher early. However, the School wanted the teacher to complete a lot of extra 'final' jobs before paying her out, despite concluding her employment on that day.

Teacher went to the Union, the Union were very interested in her story. In short, the School crapped itself that the Union was knocking on their door. A couple of days later, the teacher was paid out and all was done and settled.

It's another example of arse-backwardness, religious ideals.

This world sucks, thanks to the many varied, hypocrites who can't live and let live. Religion, common sense and tolerance do not mix.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by tezzajw]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Pregnancy Discrimination is illegal in the United States

www.lectlaw.com...

Federal and State laws make sure that Americans are able to have children without losing their jobs. Discrimination against you because you are pregnant violates the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Under this law, employers who have at least 15 workers are not allowed to:
o Refuse to hire a woman because of pregnancy
o Fire or force a worker to leave because she is pregnant
o Take away credit for previous years, accrued retirement benefits, or seniority because of maternity leave
o Fire or refuse to hire a woman because she has an abortion

Here is an article about a baptist school that fired a teacher under similar circumstances and how they had to pay a $53,000 settlement.

www.illinoissexualharassmentattorneyblog.com...

Here is some info on it from a church law website.

www.christianitytoday.com...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by DJM8507]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The propensity of Christianity to forsake love and compassion, the most Christ like traits, for simple doctrine is mind numbingly horrible.

Like any other group, i suppose it is run by purists who hold non purists in contempt.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by awakentired
Mary became pregnant with Jesus before all the proper traditions were followed and hence needed special consideration of the High priest of the time.

What the hell. Why not just make her get a tattoo of a cross on her forehead and be done with it!

Don't forget JC had an affair with Mary Magdalene and then rumors have it their first born was named Sarah which means princess. Hmmm....

LOL I bet all those teachers and staff never waited before marriage to have some fornication.

I can see maybe one or two though.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Seems to me that this is a seperation of church and state issue. It's kind of ludicrous to say that a private religious school can't apply their religious teachings to their employment policies.

Ummm no it isnt. The Christian school still has to follow the employment laws when they are an employer. Being a member of a religion does not give you the right to have your religion override just any old mundane secular laws you want it to.

If it did, you would see a lot of people forming religions specifically for the purpose of circumventing the law.

The separation of church and state means that religion is not allowed to control the state, (government.) Freedom of religion is probably what you meant, and even that does not give you the right to violate other peoples rights.

It is going to depend on what the employment laws are in her state, what she signed before getting the job, and the opinion of the courts.

In my humble opinion, the school should lose. She was early enough on that the kids would never have known if the busy bodies at the school did not tell everyone. She wasnt obviously behaving in a way that would send a conflicting message to the children, the school should have lectured her, prayed for her soul, and then done the "no judgment" thing that the Christ they supposedly believe in would have recommended.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join