It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent increase in poster's Ops asking for * and flag's

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Should it be allowed?
i will give examples .
>SNIP<

Originally posted by >SNIPSNIP<

Spread it like wildfire! I ask you to please Start & Flag this thread so we can get the word out!!

And this thread has 90 post's.
>SNIP<

Originally posted by >SNIPSNIP<

flag if you like

What get's me is there both on the front page and they are basically Begging for flag's.

i was under the assumption we was not allowed to ask or beg for flag's on our own thread's.
in fact i had a thread once removed for doing the same thing .
so what i need to know is it or is it not allowed to ask for flag's on our threads we start.

as in
flag my thread to spread the word.
star and flag me is you like.
flag thread if you agree.
ect.ect...

[Mod edit to remove member's IDs. We'd prefer threads not be made to "call out" other members in a negative way.]

[edit on 6/8/2010 by yeahright]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

In example #1, I see that the originator might have wanted the thread to be right on the front page, because they think it's important for people to see, and didn't want it to fall out of rank. I still didn't flag or star it, but have starred some of the other posts there.

In example #2, it pretty blatant that it's begging.

Personally, I star and flag, what I think is worthy, and have never flagged a thread for any other reason than that. I have yet to flag one, when being asked to.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Should it be allowed?

Don't forget, that works against the OP at times. Asking for what should be handed out for diligent work is quite indignant and usually ends up biting the OP in the ass.

And considering those two examples are indeed different in context, hopefully members realize it should be a case-by-case issue - some OP's should toot their own horn, as the subject matter and/or construction of the thread should be seen by as many people as possible.

Basically, a subjective mess.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I feel people here only Star and Flag importance.

The OP's who request such things usually get flamed if the thread is a duplicate or whatnot...

STAR THIS POST IF YOU AGREE

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yeah, If I read any OP which demands I flag it if I like it, I automatically don't flag it.

Understandably some posters psot things which are of importance and figure the quickest way to get everybody to see it is to give it a lot of flags.

They aren't wrong persay.

I don't think it's against the T&C nor should it be IMO.

It's like the posters who put:

"I apologize if this has been posted before."

Actually the above angers me more than those who ask for stars or flags..

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I don't see what the big deal is about stars and flags anyways you can be a productive member of this board without either so it gets me when people go crazy over it...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Yeah it's really tasteless, I've never ever asked anyone to star or flag me on my posts which I think is a good reason for you to star me now, especially when you bear in mind that I started a thread about Element 114 that got 180 Replies and 150 Flags that was also mentioned and featured on ATS news by Johhny Anon but he never even mentioned me, add to that I been here 4 years and never been warned but still after all that I ain't got any blue showing on my Contribution Level, just not fair lol

JK

On a serious note wouldn't Board Business & Questions be a better place for this rather than General Conspiracies?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lifttheveil

IDK
I think it may be a conspiracy brewing on ats

so idk where it should be lol

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Yeah, If I read any OP which demands I flag it if I like it, I automatically don't flag it.

I don't think it's against the T&C nor should it be IMO

I hear you on the first part...if someone asks for a star or flag I make a point not to also.

As far as it being against the T&C,I think it should be.
If Little Johnny asks for flags and people oblige him then we might get a less worthy thread on the front page that might be an embarrassment.
Can you imagine....An alien just bit my toenail off...please flag?
If its worthy then nothing needs to be said as it will have enough merit to make the front page on its own.
The cream always rises to the top.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
i am saying a lot of flagger's glance threw a thread see star and flag it so we get the word out ect....
they star and flag it even if they have little to no idea what the thread is about..to join the star and flag wagon so to speak.

there sometimes will be 90 flag's 70 posters or 100 flag's 50 poster's..
all due to the op of the thread saying star and flag me please if you like.

it's probably not a super big deal but as i said i see it a lot here as of late.

sometimes it's hard to filter out what thread is really important due to what i call abusive begging for star and flag.
we have all read threads that need 80+ star's yet had 8 or 10*
while another thread not even half as good had 50 to 100 flag's due to the op asking for stars and flag's.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
reply to post by lifttheveil

IDK
I think it may be a conspiracy brewing on ats

so idk where it should be lol

I agree, so I'm going to give you a star for that

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
In protest to such obvious overtures made for flags, I suggest that we stand in solidarity with the OP AND NOT flag this thread.

But can I get some stars peoples? C'mon I make good posts!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If someone asks for stars and flags it has no factor in making me decide to do so.

I look at the information presented and if I think it deserves it I will flag and star but someone suggesting I do so never enters the equation.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
If someone asks for stars and flags it has no factor in making me decide to do so.

I look at the information presented and if I think it deserves it I will flag and star but someone suggesting I do so never enters the equation.

Word.

(in place of a star)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Begging for stars and flags should be against rules, as notifying someone in the post that you have starred/flagged someone.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
stars flags really who cares not me.
the few times I do post a thread only reason i check it is so i can ex-plane my thoughts with repliers .
as a matter of fact i dont even know were to look to see if I have stars or flags or didn't there be points at one time?
If the post I make gets a few reply's great if not then I guess it matter to me more then you is all.
anyway flag star pointb away to me this site is about finding out things or showing things that are or may be happing on that little planet that's 3rd from its primary.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
It's like the posters who put:

"I apologize if this has been posted before."

That's in ATS-Speak. Here, I'll translate it for you.

"I'm too *snip* lazy to do any sort of search to see if this has been posted before."

Please read: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors.

[edit on June 8th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Speaking of stars why the hell cant you star any posts in this thread?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

The lie.
Its in the Board And Business Questions forum.

The truth.
Its a conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
What are stars and flags worth? (Other that turning you flag bar blue.)
And what do the stars signify. Do you get points?

I thought it was just to let the OP know you liked it. I give them when I think the thread is worthy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join