It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent increase in poster's Ops asking for * and flag's

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Wow you would think stars and flags cost money or something!

Ask and thou shall recieve!

I personally never ask for stars and flags but I don't have a problem with people who do ask for them.

I woudn't deny an important topic or well researched opening piece a flag just because some one had picked up on that whole "Ask and thous shall recieve" concept.

ATS is a huge place with a lot of different forums and topics, and not all of them are particular interest to me, but that doesn't mean they are not of particular interest to some members.

So conversely I am no more apt to read a thread or not read a thread that has 300 flags, than I am on one that has 0 flags, if it's an interesting title and interesting topic to me, I check it out. If it isn't an interesting topic to me, I don't check it out.

All the flags in the world aren't going to make it more interesting, and no flags are not going to make it less interesting.

Stars and flags are free, and so is being considerate towards others!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I read the OP, and I'ma gonna put it this way:

Put a rat in a cage with a lever that distributes food upon completing a simple puzzle. A majority of humans are literally dumbed down to the rationale of rats. "I did a good job, PET ME!"

I hate EMO...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I don't feel it should be against the rules. I do feel that it is in bad form though. If the topic is important, well thought out, and is put together well I will flag it, even with a "if u like it flag" line. As for stars I just give stars if I particularly agree with a post. I never say hey I gave ya a star or flag. Seems like your kissing butt to do that. If you're on my friends list you don't automatically get a flag or star unless the post is deserving.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Stars? Flags? Will they pay my electric bill, or clean up the oil in the gulf?

Then that is about how much they matter.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If a star or flag makes someone a little happier...so what?

I flagged this thread. What's that tell ya?

I think you got what you wanted eh?

[edit on 9-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by zachi
What are stars and flags worth? (Other that turning you flag bar blue.)
And what do the stars signify. Do you get points?

I thought it was just to let the OP know you liked it. I give them when I think the thread is worthy.

Flags are effective mechanisms for highlighting threads that many people find important or interesting; unfortunately often times goods threads get passed over for lack of flags and lousy threads can get flagged to triple digits.

As far as the stars, they're just their to give the poster a little ego stroke, some validation for making a post other people like. Again, unfortunately, a lot of lousy posts get starred too.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I give flags for subjects that i think are important or very interesting.
Stars for posts that are either making great insights or very funny jokes.
Nobody should be asking me for S&F's.
I can think of a few other icons i would like.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Whilst I dislike it when people ask for stars and flags, I will still base my decision to flag based on the content of their thread regardless.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Pixus]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I think it should be allowed. Why not? It may be counterproductive, but it harms no one.

Anytime there is a reward for something, people will try to figure out ways to get the reward. On ATS, you get rewarded for stars and flags in the form of a blue coloration on some letters next to your name, and a title that you can display for the whole world to see. Its not much, but it may be the closest some ever get to prestige, so they want it.

ATS is probably trying to encourage the posting of important and breaking topics, and it does. It just also has some unintended consequences, which fortunately dont do much harm.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
Speaking of stars why the hell cant you star any posts in this thread?

I was wondering the same thing myself. Now that's a conspiracy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join