It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain clueless about what people earn for hourly wages

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
McCain interview. i believe the topic was about immigrants working the "hard jobs" that Americans don't want to do. Well Mr. McCain, where the hell can i sign up for this because it sounds great! It seems like he has absolutely no clue! Probably none of them do! I did a couple different searches on ATS about it and couldn't find it on so here you go. ENJOY!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

Great find!

I agree with you that I don't think any of these politicians/elite actually know what hourly wages are at. If you never worked a job for hourly pay for 2 - 3 generations, you would have no clue either, lol.

The middle-class is becoming the serfs of Goldman Sachs.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Hopefully JD Hayworth retires this embarrassment to the Republican Party.

McCain does make good points every once in a while, but you just never know if he is pandering or not. We need real conservative leadership, not a fake conservative.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Seriously?? 50 dollars an hour to pick lettuce?? A 40 hour work week would equal 2,000 dollars without overtime. 8,000 a month. I only have to work for the season which is what, 3 months? Thats 24,000 dollars for 3 months work. Can i collect Umemployment benefits too when the season is all over. Sign me up.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Sounds more like the Teacher's Union contract, lol.

9 months work for 12 months pay.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I am in. I can pick lettuce for 3 months, and repair networks and servers for the rest. Lettuce is way more lucrative.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluePillOrRedPill
Seriously?? 50 dollars an hour to pick lettuce?? A 40 hour work week would equal 2,000 dollars without overtime. 8,000 a month. I only have to work for the season which is what, 3 months? Thats 24,000 dollars for 3 months work. Can i collect Umemployment benefits too when the season is all over. Sign me up.

I would make a run down from the north border for that kind of money
$96000 per year. it's a long growing season down there, right?
Some of our doctors don't make that kind of money up here. I did read an article somewhere that said the politicians all flunked economics 101!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This just goes to show how out of touch that our leaders/controllers actually are. I bet that most Americans would take the job proposed for 1/5th of that $50/hour.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people say that "Mexicans take the jobs that Americans don't want". No, illegals take the jobs that Americans don't want for the pay that they are willing to pay. Pay an American a descent wage and I guarantee that he will want that job. I'll say again, Americans will take any job for a descent wage. Some Americans will take any job that they can get, at this point. We have far too many unemployed Americans to be allowing illegals to take our jobs.

While Mexicans can afford to take such low paying jobs because it is cheaper to support their families back in Mexico, an American has to support his family here in the States, which has a higher cost of living.

Sadly, because it benefits US corporations to hire such cheap labor, we won't ever see anything done about the problem. The politicians are so far out of touch, they don't even realize the suffrage of many American families who have children that go without eating some meals. Even if they did realize it, they wouldn't do anything about it.

The bells of the revolution are ringing more clearly than ever.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by indianajoe77

Except as a teacher you get those 9 months of work pay SPREAD OUT over 12 months. You don't get 3 months of free money. I've worked as a teacher, I know. That's why teachers try to get summer time hours / work.

Please get your facts straight before you start picking on underpaid professions.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Does anyone here have the money to run this clip during prime time national television with the title: "This is what your leaders think the job market is like"???

This is the most sickening display of ivory tower hubris I've seen in a while. This makes George Bush's wonderment at a barcode reader look like an act of supreme statemanship.

People need to see this and understand that those who run this country have less than no idea of what people are actually facing.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

Originally posted by indianajoe77

Except as a teacher you get those 9 months of work pay SPREAD OUT over 12 months. You don't get 3 months of free money. I've worked as a teacher, I know. That's why teachers try to get summer time hours / work.

Please get your facts straight before you start picking on underpaid professions.

It isn't his fault, he was only parroting Glenn beck.

Teachers do 12 months of work in those 9 months, and 13 months of work in 12 months. Yet they are not paid any overtime.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It would be one thing if he was saying that he thought lettuce pickers made $50 an hour. That's not what he said although I bet he has no clue what they make. What he actually said was even more insulting to the American people.

He basically said that even if we paid you $50 an hour, Americans are not capable of doing the work for a whole season. I.E. we aren't strong enough to endure hard work in the hot sun for any length of time.

If there is any truth to what he says, and I don't think so, then isn't it his own fault as he has been one of the overseers of it all?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

One, I absolutely think Beck is an arse.

Two, I have plenty of friends who are teachers. And really, you do 12 months of work in 9 months? You all work 60 hour weeks? I find that hard to believe based on my friends experiences and the fabulous Chicago School Board.

You don't get overtime? Guess what, most people don't. It's called salary. And if its a big deal to you, just strike like the teacher's union always does when they don't get what they want. Fireman, Police and other public service unions can't, but you can hold a public service hostage, in the name of "the children".

And realistically, I bet both of you can look around your workplace and find a number of your colegues who are inadequate at their job and don't deserve the seniority based pay they get.

Yes, lots of good teachers don't earn enough, but that's because the union let's the bad teachers, stay employed.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
WTF!

F***ing elites disgust me. I have been at the same job for 4 years and make 9 an hour and this idiot makes these type comments. We as Americans are to blame though. We need to start electing only people that have never been higher than middle class. If we get people who have actually had to live paycheck to paycheck I would bet the problems we have would go away quickly.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

He basically said that even if we paid you $50 an hour, Americans are not capable of doing the work for a whole season. I.E. we aren't strong enough to endure hard work in the hot sun for any length of time.

Nicely stated slightlyskeptical. a star for you. After McCain says he'll offer anyone $50 an hour to pick lettuce in Yuma all season, someone in the audience accepts his offer. Then McCain puts his finger up at him and tells the guy again, "all season, not just one day, you can't do it my friend." so basically he thinks the guy would only work for the day, and give up.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is just another fine example of ATS'ers just looking to throw s#it at something.

You all know damn well that he was trying to make the point that you wouldn't be able to sit out in the sun all day, all season, even if the job payed 50 bucks an hour. Not that he was saying these folks get 50 bucks an hour to do the job.

But feel free to go on devoting energy to such silliness instead of focusing on creating a system of exchange that benefits us all.

This house of cards is like a cage match. After we have no energy left from arguing with ourselves, they'll come in and wipe the floor with our tired asses.

Save your strength folks, I think we're gonna need it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIStory Indeed

You all know damn well that he was trying to make the point that you wouldn't be able to sit out in the sun all day, all season, even if the job payed 50 bucks an hour. Not that he was saying these folks get 50 bucks an hour to do the job.

And we do know it. As was stated by slightlyskeptikal an hour before your post.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Should I have made the thread entitled something different, like "McCain thinks americans can't handle the labor that immigrants can." MODS feel free to change if so. Doesn't matter to me.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It can't be much more difficult than building cell towers in the high desert of California and deserts of Arizona and Nevada, which I've spent quite a while doing- digging ditches by hand, assembling steel sitting in 110F+ heat 10 hours a day, four guys each going through well over 5 gallons of water a day, pouring concrete.... Heck, I've been with guys who've gone through a gallon of water just climbing a 200' tower, in the sun.
So, sign me up- it'd be a nice boost in pay.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluePillOrRedPill
Should I have made the thread entitled something different, like "McCain thinks americans can't handle the labor that immigrants can." MODS feel free to change if so. Doesn't matter to me.

I'm just of the opinion that TPTB want us bickering over stuff like this instead of constructively discussing how you and I can come together WITHOUT them and really take humanity to a higher place.

If after two thousand years we're still arguing about food processing & employment procedures, we must have some major issues elsewhere in our system and we do.

The corruption over there that keeps the Mexican population in poverty works hand in hand with the corruption over here that allows them across our border to piss you off. For years we've been saying they are a cheap source of labor for Repubes and future votes for Dem other idiots, so we know all too well that illegal immigration serves the American system, like it or not.

I'm thinking your in the NOT column, as am I. I just want to aim higher than McCain, his party, the opposition party or whatever. Face it, two wings when attached to the same bird can only fly in one direction and it's been flying in that direction your whole life.

Zoom out. Ceremonially pissing at stuff like this is like arguing over a hole in a sandbag meant to block a tsunami.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join