It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain clueless about what people earn for hourly wages

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I worked the summer of 1995 in Phoenix, Arizona at a car stereo installation shop called "Kustom Kar Sound"

It was greasy, dirty, you had to buy your own tools, had bloody fingers often, and that summer we had a high temperature of 121 degrees.

Imagine cars sitting in the parking lot in that heat, and then having to work in them inside a big garage with no air conditioning. I was white, 20 years old.

And guess what... I did it for EIGHT DOLLARS AN HOUR.

I'll take you up on that $50 McCain. I'll pick all the lettuce you can grow in the desert, you sniveling, elitist, clueless jergoff.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by 30_seconds]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
WTF!

F***ing elites disgust me. I have been at the same job for 4 years and make 9 an hour and this idiot makes these type comments. We as Americans are to blame though. We need to start electing only people that have never been higher than middle class. If we get people who have actually had to live paycheck to paycheck I would bet the problems we have would go away quickly.

I have the same feeling as you. But I have been working at my current work for 9 years and basically the only time I get a raise is when the government increases the minimum wage. The politicians don't know what the people want or know what they are suffering. i believe they seclude themselves from the world so they don't realize how badly they are screwing us over.

I personally hate my job, but nothing I can do about it because now finding a job is hard because of this recession they caused.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by indianajoe77
reply to post by DJM8507

One, I absolutely think Beck is an arse.

Two, I have plenty of friends who are teachers. And really, you do 12 months of work in 9 months? You all work 60 hour weeks? I find that hard to believe based on my friends experiences and the fabulous Chicago School Board.

You don't get overtime? Guess what, most people don't. It's called salary. And if its a big deal to you, just strike like the teacher's union always does when they don't get what they want. Fireman, Police and other public service unions can't, but you can hold a public service hostage, in the name of "the children".

And realistically, I bet both of you can look around your workplace and find a number of your colegues who are inadequate at their job and don't deserve the seniority based pay they get.

Yes, lots of good teachers don't earn enough, but that's because the union let's the bad teachers, stay employed.

Maybe that is a problem in Chicago with teachers only doing the bare minimums and being inadequate. I suppose the unions are also very powerful there.

I am in Florida, and the Unions are incredibly weak, not to mention it is illegal for teachers to strike here. 90% of the teachers I have known put in 60+ hours per week during the school year and work 10 to 15 hours per week during the summer and most vacations due to the all the Florida standards and laws and the various requirements for educators here. The unions also do not protect inadequate teachers, although they work hard to try to mentor and help them and if that fails then they pretty much go along with the firing.

What you said in regards to inadequate people can be applied to ANY line of work worldwide. As for overtime, most people do indeed receive overtime IF they work over a set number of hours. At the very least, most salaried jobs I have known give comp-time or some other form of flex-time to compensate for any overtime worked. Still other salaried positions shift a person to another salary scale if you consistently work more then a set number of hours per week in order to compensate with a higher salary. This also occurs if your work infringes onto another shift with a higher pay. But I am sure there are jobs out there that are salaried, that thoroughly abuse the employee and force them to work 60+ hours a week without any additional compensation. Teachers are one of them.

Unions tend to help ensure teachers are paid fairly, as it has been shown time and time again in the past that if the unions let bureaucrats decide how a school district or system is run without any input they tend to cram ridiculous amounts of children into tiny classrooms with 1 teacher, lower pay, fire older teachers who have earned a higher salary, and drastically cut back on benefits while requiring more. It turns into a low-performing education sweat-shop.

Unions help balance things out quite a bit and protect educators from what is commonly practiced in the private contracting industries, especially in the defense sector where people are hired and fired based on contracts and budgets and so that the administrators can meet financial objectives in order to receive lucrative bonuses without any considering given to the workers themselves. In the situation of public education, the ones that would be hurt the most would be the children who would receive an incredibly low standard of education.

As for you you not liking Glenn Beck, that is one area we both have in common it seems. Although what you have said is pretty much Beck's platform when it comes to teachers.

Public education does need some reform, as does nearly every other area of industry and government. But trying to work with politicians, administrators, unions, employees, and those who just fear or hate any sort of change is what makes it nearly impossible. It is not one person, or group, it is human mentality.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think they should pass a law mandating that every public official who want's to get elected to congress should be forced to work for six months in a Wendy's drive thru window for $7.25 an hour.....with no health coverage.

Maybe that would add some much needed perspective.

And $50 per hour to pick lettuce, where do I sign up?

Ex

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
John McCain does not understand the working man
How could he?!
He Married His

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HIStory Indeed

"I'm just of the opinion that TPTB want us bickering over stuff like this instead of constructively discussing how you and I can come together WITHOUT them and really take humanity to a higher place."

-That seems to be their plan.

"I just want to aim higher than McCain, his party, the opposition party or whatever."

-That sounds great. Keep fighting the good fight.

"Ceremonially pissing at stuff like this is like arguing over a hole in a sandbag meant to block a tsunami. "

-It might be ceremonially pissing at useless stuff to you, but this video helps other people that haven't seen it yet realize what the people in charge think of us. Americans don't want to pick lettuce in Yuma for minimum wage, not because they are lazy and can't hack it, but because they want a 40 hour a week steady reliable job. Not a seasonal job were you have to find more work.

Stop sending our middle class jobs over seas!! Titleist is a big company where I live, they had 4 plants here and closed 2 in recent years. But now they are opening a plant in Taiwan. Why!!

About arguing over the little stuff, when the higher ups want to let us know about what their thinking and what their plans are, they hold press conferences and do interviews, or pass a bill. They tell us their views and the direction they would like to take us. That's all i can go by. The little stuff. We aren't privy to the closed door meetings where they really discuss whats going on. We would have a lot more to go by rather than discussing the little stuff. We were supposed to have a more transparent government with Obama, If we did, we would have more issues to debate. Sadly we don't. They keep us arguing over being right or left, republican or democrat, pro-choice or pro-life. It has worked for years. Now it seems the majority of people are starting to notice that the differences between the parties really doesn't matter. That we need more people in our government of, for, and by the people. People that won't be paid off and or swayed to vote for whatever the elites try to push.

Mix a transparent government of honest people, with free thinking citizens who get involved and keep the government on their toes, and maybe we can finally head in the right direction. Opposed to your bird that has been flying in that one direction forever.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Typical moronic statements by McCnut! He and the rest of Washington don't have a single clue as to what it is like out in the real world. Theirs is cocktail parties and corporate kickbacks. I have been saying this for years now. Washington needs a ENEMA! I don't care if it's a Republican or a Democrat....they are all cut from the same cloth. That realization came to light when it was made public that George W Bush and Kerry went to the same college and where both in skull and bones.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
to bad there is no link for application or where to submit resume. i will do this in a nanosecond!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

But now they are opening a plant in Taiwan. Why

Profit. The GOD of capitalism.

For generations this idea that profit is king has been happily accepted by the masses, and now that the whole house of cards is starting to come down, you ask why.

Now that people are beginning to realize that the "American dream " doesn't apply to a majority of them ( despite working hard) , perhaps they will finally wake up and find a better way.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I don't care if it's a Republican or a Democrat....they are all cut from the same cloth. That realization came to light when it was made public that George W Bush and Kerry went to the same college and where both in skull and bones.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by CaptGizmo]

Not only that CaptGizmo, i also believe Bush and Kerry are cousins. Not only that, most presidents are directly related to King Edward from England. And then a bunch that are related by distant cousins and marriages and what not.

edit to add: trying to find a decent presidential family tree. I can find a ton of videos and stuff but trying to find something that is legit and that is not of the conspiracy side.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by BluePillOrRedPill]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join