It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU 'to vet British Budget before Parliament'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

EU 'to vet British Budget before Parliament'

www.telegraph.co.uk

The European Union will vet the Chancellor's Budget before it is debated by MPs in the House of Commons or seen by the public, under plans agreed last night.

David Cameron faces a major row over the “budgetary surveillance” demand when the Prime Minister attends his first EU summit next Thursday.

Britain was isolated during a meeting of an “economic government taskforce”, chaired by Herman Van Rompuy, the EU President, last night.

Mr Van Rompuy and the European Commission have tabled plans that will require all of Europe’s governments to discuss their budget plans with othe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I only have one word for this : HIGH TREASON.

David Cameron is CHANGE uh? Much like Obama's change, it's utter bollocks.

So this is it, the European Union is officially taking over ALL EUROPEAN BUDGETS.

UNELECTED PEOPLE TAKE CONTROL OF NATIONAL BUDGETS.

When the people you elect don't control your budget, you are no longer a sovereign nation.

The European Union is officially ONE EMPIRE.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I am sure there will be a revolt of the back benches if this happens and the EU reviews the budget before it goes to parliment..
I suspect the tory back benches will be up in arms.
So it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

With all due respect it is hardly David Cameron and his governments fault. Its due to the way the previous Labour government surrendered our freedoms to the EU without even so much as a referendum.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

This is appalling. But it's not like there weren't warnings. Greece was just the beginning.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The Daily Telegraph article quotes : EU officials and French diplomats have insisted that British Chancellors of the Exchequer will be required to give their budgetary plans to the EU not after they are given to MPs in Westminster, "but before or simultaneously”.

My feeling is that the government will use the "simultaneously" option just to spite the Commission. If it is done simultaneaously, the EU have effectively no say.

Alternatively, the UK government could share the plans beforehand, only to resist any suggestion from the EU commission.

I think the whole thing will back-fire on the EU and could be the first nail in their coffin.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by crowdedskies]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
And so we see the ramifications of the Lisbon treaty! Which our glorious former leader come euro sceptic (yeah right) signed us up to in the face of demands for a referendum!!

Would the French do this Non
Or the Germans? Doubt it.

i say do as the French, refuse and take it to the European court. What are they gonna do about it???

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Indeed. The whole reason the EU have this power is because of Labours insistance on signing our soveriegnty away after lying to us about giving us a referendum.

Apparently because the original constitution had a name change to the Lisbon Treaty, their promise of a referendum didn't count anymore.

Cameron is (and much of the Tory party still are) a massive Eurosceptic.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So, the last government surrendered certain freedoms and sovereignty to the unelected EU officials.

That was then, this is now. All it takes is a two word response to Brussels, the second word being "off"!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Yes, but could you imagine the inetrnational furore surrounding the blatant British refusal to play EU ball anymore? Cripes, Europe and the markets would be in chaos.

It would be funny though....

new topics

top topics

join