It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living the 'real' simple life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So you think you couldn't survive without the grocery stores, processed foods and such. Well this family is here to prove you wrong and in L.A. of all places.
Just think what they could do with twice the land.

And by the way, any single farmer types that may be looking for a good women, their daughter might just be looking for you.

This is how we were meant to live. I really envy them. Maybe the father will write a "how to" book. I can remember the old Firefox series my grandmother had. Maybe it's time to start looking for my own copies and get to planning my own mini-farm.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

they wouldn't want anyone to have their own farms, they will just do anything to drive you outta business, some farmers don't even make 60 quid anymore after the bills, or they will just take your land and build on it

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Now there is a real American, more power to his elbow.
I hope that one day Americans can all, or at least most, live like that.
as the Brits say, 'good on yer'

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Good for him!

Truthfully, though, there are more people out there like that than we realize. And in these times, there will probably be more to come. Also as it becomes more and more known just how harmful processed food is for us.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
To AshleyD

Yep more and more people are doing it.

I started in april with some veggies: carrots, beet, cauliflower, tomatoes, beans, unions, brocolli and lettuce.
Not everything is doing like i wished bu some are doing great.
Be carefull wich seeds you are buying.

Unfortunally i dont have a garden of my own, so i picked
a piece of garden at my parents their home. Everybody can do it. Just start it is real easy sowing waiting and eating just like nature intended.

Peace and loves. Vincent

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
What a great story! thanks for sharing.
S &F
I would love to live like this. I have the land, but not really the knowhow, or family help. we do have chickens, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't make a garden grow. Plus it usually gets too hot here and everything dies. oh well.. maybe someday. Maybe my hubby will be forced to live like this sooner than we know.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

here's a link to start your search for "know how". I hope it helps.

www.foxfire.org...

and

en.wikipedia.org...

If a movement towards this type of living or at least eating gains momentum groups could specialize and barter. Tomatoes for potatoes, ya know wut I mean.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
wow, seriously cool. This surely has to be the future. flagged.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think we're looking at a lot of things that are old becoming new again. I can give you two words towards saving $ and starting to break free of the matrix.
It's so simple, but it takes effort.

Clothes lines

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
No one can be independent in Southern Cali without paying fees or taxes. Some bureaucrat is gonna drive by and decide that the land use is non-conforming or some gardening outcrop is hinders accessibility or is some kind of hazard and requires a permit.

Give it 6 months and this guy will be required to get 10 or so permits and pay special taxes. In this land, we need to get a permit (and pay the fee) to remodel a front porch, imagine what a sustainable and profitable garden would bring.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Very cool, I just wonder where he got his solar panels from? At 30k a year he must have had to take out a loan for them or something.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Here is their site:

urbanhomestead.org...

It's certainly feasible but most people these days don't consider such things. For many, yards are recreation areas, not places to grow food for sustenance or sale. Their approach is a throwback to an earlier mindset, one that's been absent for too long. They even have an advantage compared to past generations as there is access to free energy(Though at an initial cost), which wasn't the case 70 years ago. You had electricity or you didn't.

It takes dedication and hard work though.

top topics

join