It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornadoes causing havoc in Illinois, alerts issued for New Jersey Virginia,Washington,Baltimore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Wow a mass of Tornadoes has hit different parts of Illinois and witnesses describe Elmwood, Il, as war zone as 15 tornadoes reportedly touch down near Peoria, Il - PJStar

I hope that any members we have in the area are ok and safe, Please let us know when you can,

ELMWOOD — At least 15 tornadoes have touched down in the Tri-County Area between 7:45 p.m. and 9:15 p.m., and a tornado watch for much of central Illinois remains in effect until 11 p.m.

Two of those tornadoes hit Elmwood four minutes apart, causing what witnesses said looked like a war zone.

Officials there said there were no apparent injuries or fatalities as of 9:30 p.m.

Tornadoes also touched down in Peoria, Hanna City, Washington and East Peoria. Damage reports from those twisters we not immediately available.

www.pjstar.com...

These tornadoes are being classed as Very large and dangerous,

At 10:23 p.m. CDT, trained spotters reported a very large tornado on the ground, possibly up to a mile wile just north of Saint Anne also in central Illinois.

"To repeat...a large...extremely dangerous and potentially deadly tornado is on the ground. To protect your life... take cover now," a bulletin from the NWS read.

wireupdate.com...

Heavy damage reported in TStreator, Dwight Illinois.

And the latest to hit ....

A large, extremely dangerous and potentially deadly tornado is on the ground just north of Saint Anne, IL

PLEASE TAKE GOOD CARE if you are in the affected areas, Stay safe,

[edit on 6-6-2010 by asala]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I live in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and it is heading our way - we don't want to go to bed until we know everything is alright. We are under a Tornado watch and Severe Storm warnings - the winds are picking up and radar shows it to be about an hour from us. I hope no one was injured in Illinois.

Candles and flashlights ready and we are fortunate to have a basement. Please keep us updated as we are not getting all of the news on TV right now.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Sorry a little nervous, forgot to thank you for the link and update! Peace

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
My prayers to those going through this disaster.

I pray for the day that tornadoes become more predictable.

We had a small one last year before Christmas. Popped up out of nowhere. Thankfully, no one was severely hurt.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Oh goodness please take care, Ill be thinking of you!

Here's a hazard map,
www.weather.gov...

Radar map
www.weather.gov...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Think this same storm is heading my way into Ohio, parents have been watching the news and things have been well, rather moderate [not to demean the damage that has been done, but it has not touched the worst scenario]. I heard that it was only part one and now awaiting part two which comes around 3:00 AM.

Looks like a night in the basement

And to add, they just added a few more Tornado warnings around my surrounding area. at least it seems like it's rather close. Prayers go out to all those who are in, or will be in the path.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I'm just a bit north of Ottawa and Streator and it seems to have missed us, but I have family in Streator. I talked to them and they are okay, luckily, but I was worried about them.

We just had some thunder, lightning, rain, and wind. At one point I thought we heard the emergency sirens, but it turned out that I was wrong and it was just my DVR updating or rebooting or something and after the TV got muted I could tell the difference. The DVR sounded like it was getting ready to take flight and had this whine noise that under the game my husband and kid were playing on the game system sounded like an emergency siren in the distance.

I'm still listening to the wind, but right now it isn't nearly as strong as it was earlier, so hopefully everything has passed and it will quiet down for the night here.

I hope that everyone else in the path stays safe and that everything misses you!

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
in Detroit Michigan over here and it's CRAZY never seen storms like this before and there's tornado warnings ever 15 mins. my prayers go for Illinois

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Live Scanner Audio Tornado Command Center Lasalle County, IL www.radioreference.com...

Just click listen,

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
from source

"I was jogging at the Bradley University track off Nebraska Avenue and the sky turned a weird green color," said Erin Wood of Peoria. "I got back home (near University Street and War Memorial) and all of a sudden there was a big, dark blue cloud that came and started swirling around. That's when the tornado sirens went off."

Maybe that green sky is a sign to look for. I have heard them talk about it many times on that tornado show.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
from source

"I was jogging at the Bradley University track off Nebraska Avenue and the sky turned a weird green color," said Erin Wood of Peoria. "I got back home (near University Street and War Memorial) and all of a sudden there was a big, dark blue cloud that came and started swirling around. That's when the tornado sirens went off."

Maybe that green sky is a sign to look for. I have heard them talk about it many times on that tornado show.

On the news I just heard that someone saw a blue sky as he was driving down the road. Said a transformer went out and the sky began to turn bluish. So I guess it depends on what's going on or something? Though I have heard green as well.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
i live less than 10 minutes from peoria illinios, in pekin. we caught some downpoors and very heavy winds.

my brother mike, fido the dog, and myself spent about 40 min in the basement this evening.

i was surprised the power never went out for as bad as it was. lasted awhile, but the edge of the cell is what was dragging across our area.

we do have a tree down in the yard. that will be fun chopping up into firewood for the neighbors, i suppose.

not a huge tree, about 3 foot diameter and 30 feet long. i think a family of woodpeckers were living in it, but they are still alive, at least 2 babies i've seen.

the racoon family living in the garage seem ok.
they moved in the garage in january, and since she had babies i hadn't the heart to evict her. although feeding them dogfood keeps them out of the trash.

at any rate if anyone is in this storms path, please adhere to the warnings and take cover.

hard to watch the tornados coming when it is night outside, nothing to see here!

thanks,
E.T.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I live in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and it is heading our way - we don't want to go to bed until we know everything is alright. We are under a Tornado watch and Severe Storm warnings - the winds are picking up and radar shows it to be about an hour from us. I hope no one was injured in Illinois.

Candles and flashlights ready and we are fortunate to have a basement. Please keep us updated as we are not getting all of the news on TV right now.

Hey there! I'm in Ft Wayne, IN as well lol small world!

It seems so far we're going to get a lot of loudness, but I think the big stuff and tornadoes, etc, will be missing us, at least thus far. Seems that it's all going to be either too far north or a little south of where we're sitting.

Still keeping a VERY close eye on things, though, for sure. Just saw your post and had to toss you a "hey!"

Keep safe and sane friend!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sounds a lot like the 1967 Illinois tornado outbreak of Oak Lawn?

1967 Oak Lawn tornado outbreak

Belvidere High School

Twenty-four people were killed and another 410 injured. 127 homes were destroyed and 379 damaged. The storm continued into McHenry County, spawning another tornado in Woodstock. The two tornadoes covered a 25-mile (40 km) swath. Thirteen of the 24 people killed in Belvidere were killed at the school, making this tornado the 6th deadliest ever to hit a school. The Belvidere Tornado was especially devastating because it hit the school just as students were getting on the buses to go home . . .

Palos Hills - Oak Lawn - Chicago

At 5:30 P.M., another strong, later F4-estimated, tornado touched down near Palos Hills. It strengthened and in the space of six minutes, tore a 16.2-mile (65 mph ground speed) swath of destruction through Oak Lawn, Hometown, Evergreen Park, and devastated the south side of Chicago before moving offshore to Lake Michigan as people were stuck in traffic during Friday rush hour. For that reason, this tornado ended up being the deadliest in the outbreak. Thirty-three people were killed and 1000 were injured, including 16 deaths alone at the intersection of Southwest Highway and W. 95th St. (US-12/20) in Oak Lawn. It destroyed 152 homes and damaged 900, causing $50 million in damage.

Perhaps, we seeing the start of a large scale weather event like the one mentioned above? I can't remember the last time a storm spawned so many Tornadoes over such a large area. However, they don't call that region of America "Tornado Alley," for nothing. They can literally come out of the blue with little to no warning. One in particular was the Plainfield Tornado of August 1990. That storm was a monster and an F-5 on the Fujita Scale. An F-5 causes extreme damage with wind speeds of 261–318/mph.

1990 Plainfield tornado

Unlike the typical radar type "hook echo" tornado, where the tornado is easily visible from the ground, the Plainfield Tornado was "rain wrapped." A "rain wrapped" tornado means it was engulfed in a sheet of rain wrapped around the tornado. The sheet of rain preceding the tornado, made it almost invisible to spot. This is why many reported a wall of water coming toward them instead of the actual tornado.

. . . This supercell unleashed torrents of rain upon the Chicago area until approximately 4:30 p.m. when it got eerily silent and the sun came out. It was at this time, the tornado touched down in Plainfield.

The storm was the only F-5 to touchdown in the Chicago Area. After that storm, whenever the sky blackens or the weather gets severe that nightmare crosses the minds of the people living in Plainfield. It seems Illinois and the greater Midwest may be on the cusp of an outbreak? Hopefully, only structural damage is the result of the carnage caused by the storm and everyone is okay? Information is rather scant at the moment. More should be available in the morning and when a proper damage assessment can be completed.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I hope that it isn't anything like the 1990 tornado. That was probably one of the scariest days in my life so far. I was just going into my freshman year of high school, but I remember it because my dad was working in Oswego that day and was sitting in his work van at the intersection of Rt. 34 and Rt. 71 when it touched down literally across the street from him. It knocked down some of the Toby's video store and my dad was sitting on his cell phone with my mom giving her a play by play as he watched it happen. His van was the only vehicle left standing afterward. I used to hate his big cargo work van, but I never complained about that stupid loaded to the gills van again after that.

It is about 1:45 a.m. now and I don't hear anything at all. It seems to have gone and quieted down here. Hopefully it will stay quiet!

My daughter is terrified of tornadoes now. We had a smaller one here back in August of 08 and I was at a job interview and got stuck there and had to stay at the location and wait it out. I was on the phone reassuring my daughter that I was safe when I lost service on my phone and it didn't come back up until after the storm passed and I was able to get back home. Since they couldn't get a hold of my phone my daughter was scared that I was dead and now has a bad time when there is the possibility of a tornado near us. Ugh!

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Here in NW Ohio tonight, we've had some Tornados.

Around 2am, the phone rang, it was my Brother In Law, his house was hit, every house in the neighborhood has damage, my inlaws live two streets over, they're roof is gone.

We'll get over there when day light hits and see how bad it is.

So far, everyone we know is ok.

However, there are 3 known fatalities in the area tonight.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I'm happy that your family is okay and I hope that their damage isn't too horrible. Not that a missing roof is good, but I'm glad that they are okay. I'm sorry to hear that they were hit and my condolences for those lost.

My thoughts are with your family.
Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I hope that everyone was safe through the night,

Update on some of the damage;

Violent storms kill four in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio leaving thousands without power and damage in a widespread area yesterday.

dailycaller.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Seems this is a wide spreading storm for sure,

Again heed the warnings and stay safe,

A new tornado watch has now been issued from New Jersey to Virginia, & includes Washington and Baltimore areas until 8p.m

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Wow, I'm glad I made it back west.

Strange weather patterns these days.

I had to drive through insane winds in south Dakota and Wyoming yesterday, today it is near 90 degrees and calm in Northern Utah, I listened to weather radio, and later in the week they are forecasting SNOW and much cooler temps for here.

That system will be the one to watch, especially when it heads east of here.

This time of year, a strong cold front like that heading into very warm moist air will generate incredibly powerful storms, winds, hail, tornadoes and possibly flooding, depending on how fast it is moving.

Next week in the central USA could be very ugly weather, As if they haven't seen enough already.

Stay tuned.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join