It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Englands chances for the world cup?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
england have a very low chance of winning the world cup in my oppinion.
i am not english, i am welsh, and since wales are not in the world cup i am completely un biased.
lets have a break down of the squad shall we?

#1 GK - David James
DJ is 40 this year, sure, he is experienced, but he is getting on a bit now, he has focus, but the nickname "calamity james" isn't for nothing let me tell you, there is no room for slip-ups in the world cup, let's hope he doesn't stumble.

GK - Robert Green
now i dont know too much about RG but i know he only has 9 caps, some say he only got this place by default, he is 30 but has only 9 caps, doesn't fill be full of confidence that he is up for the job.

GK - Joe Hart
had a great season this year while on loan to birmingham, he has been put up for the best GK of the season in the premier league, where he stands on the international level is un certain to me, but we will soon see.

DEF - John Terry
Been in the news in the last couple of months over his private life, but that hasn't seen him down as he is the first captain in Chelsea's history to hold the coveted double, he is always in my team when choosing a central defender, very consistant, good choice for the world cup, hopefully nothing else will be un earthed to put him off focus. (had the captains title for England stripped off him at the start of the year because of his private issues, it is vital to have a strong captain who is a positive influence on the team, and i guess that England felt he didn't deserve it)

DEF - Ashley Cole
has been injured earlier this year, but seems to be back to fitness, if he wasn't injured then i would have put him as one of the top ranking defenders, unfortunatily i think he will still be under pressure by the media during the world cup since his ex-wife is now linked to Will-I-Am and may be front page news many times a week, hopefully he keeps on target.

DEF - Michael Dawson
mid way through the 2009/10 season he became captain of tottenham while they stormed and struggled to get the 4th spot, so he must be quite good, was initially in the 30 man squad but was ousted when cutting it down to 23, he came back into the squad when England captain, Rio Ferdinand suffered an ankle injury.

MID - Steven Gerrard
this is a hard one for me to call, he was obviously one of the first on the list, and is in many peoples dream team, etc. but for me, stevie G has not quite cut it this season to me, maybe it is he is unhappy of Liverpools under achieving, but for me, he hasn't had his best season, he is now the England captain for the world cup, the 3rd one this year, talk about stability, the reason for his lack of success this season may be bacause of his more back-up striker role, there is no doubt in my mind that he is one of the best midfielders in the game and crucial to the squad, but his season has been less than convincing for me.

DEF - Glen Johnson
a few good games this season, with only a minor set back of injury, but is 100% fit for the job now, an average player in my own oppinnion but we will see what he can do, had an overall ok season but was is still part of the sinking ship that is liverpool, hopefully they can rise back up though.

MID - Frank Lampard
one of the best midfielders ever for me, what other midfielders score 27 goals a season, season after season, winning cup after cup, one of the main influences on Chelsea as a team and the same for England. is going to prove crucial for England.

MID - James Milner
In form for Villa after a permanent feature of the Under-21s. Offers width and intelligence and his award as the PFA’s Young Player of the Year and place in the Premier League Team of the Year confirms his elevation to senior status.

MID - Joe Cole
an on and off season for Cole, but he is a real fire cracker and i hope he will shine throughout englands world cup.

to be continued...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
MID - Shaun Wright-Phillips
i really like SWP as a player, but he just doesnt seem to make it all the way, many are saying he is just there for the numbers.

ATT - Wayne Rooney
The real deal for England, if anybody is going to seal the deal, it will be Rooney, probably the best striker in the world at this moment in time.
fingers crossed there will be no injuries.

ATT - Peter Crouch
an OK striker, i just find him too gangly and awkward, although he seems to make the goals, i don't have confidence in him.

ATT - Jermain Defoe
another OK striker.. not much else to say, but he has had a good season.

ATT - Emile Heskey
I thought he was retired! this is a terrible choice and is even laughable, He hasn't scored in 2 years and has been on the bench for half the season!
a better player would have been Darren Bent, i guess sunderland players just dont cut it.

i have missed out some but here is the full 23 man squad, you decide for yourself, i think Ledley King was another bad choice for England, but ultimately it's not my decision.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Micheal Dawson, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

some people are shocked that Theo Walcott didn't make the cut and that SWP did, i say too bad, Theo isn't that great a player, he wouldn't have stood out if there wasn't all the hype before he started playing for Arsenal, and he wouldn't have been such a great decision anyway.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
i'm not sure if this is a conspiracy, and move it if you wish, i just think that the team hasn't been well picked, but maybe it was on purpose...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by da elohim
i'm not sure if this is a conspiracy

You're not sure. Really?

OF COURSE IT IS! CAPELLO IS A REPTILIAN OVERLORD!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

haha, i guess we could call him that. i think that there should be an English manager though. and a Spanish manager for spain. and a Brazilian manager for brazil.. etc.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
If you look at the squad, it basically picks its self. Any person calling themselves a football fan would've probably picked this team. With the exception imo of taking Walcott instead of Wright-Phillips.

And when you look at the probable first eleven, (barring Ferdinand obviously) there is no one better in their respected position.

Conspiracy? How, by picking the best possible team? lol.

Lets get behind them instead of writing them off even before the tournament has started!

CMON ENGLAND!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
[edit on 5-6-2010 by brill]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
England was one of the first teams to qualify.. they are solid. Who is their coach?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
YEAH CMON ENGLAND!!!!

VINDALOOOOO VINDALOOOOO, VINDALOO VINDALOO NAH NAH

Anyway the real World Cup dont really start for us until the week after next.... C'mon, you cant really count our American brothers national team as a proper challenge...

Just kiddin guys, lol

I hope we get a result in that game now or im never gonna live it down, lol.

FOOTBALLS COMIN HOME !!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I say their chances of winning it all are better than they have been in the past couple of World Cups, but I haven't seen any of your qualifiers or pre- WC matches. I normally route for England too just because you guys are like our brothers. However, you wont beat us in the opening match. 3-2 USA! I’m calling it

I think if Wayne Rooney regains the form he had mid-season in the Premier League, and if Lampard and Gerrard can finally learn to play together you guys will make it to at least the final four. There really is no reason why you wouldn't be able to get that far. It will be a huge failure if you don’t.

I am sad Didder Drogba is out. He is my favorite player by far now that Ronaldihno is half of what he once was.

How do you guys feel about the Vuvuzelas? I hate them but I can tone them out if it is a good match.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't watch much football these days (don't burn me at the stake!) but I'm still hoping England can do well. Especially against the USA, it would be embarrasing to lose to the yanks.

By the way, I fixed your avatar for you.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2175c37629f.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
A Welshman with so much interest in England?

Your assessment of the squad was reasonable but.
Walcotts omission is unbelievable , your favourite Joe Cole is way under match fitness and has been inconsisitent all his career.
Rios injury is catastrophic...no one can deny this.
Dawson is a trier a fighter but he has half the poise and class of a fit Ferdinand.
Upson will probably start, and he is 60% the player Rio is.
One of Englands strenghts is the classy and pacey flank backs ie cole and Johnson.
Another strength is Lennon, and SWP, they are both capable of beating WClass defenders.
Milner is a hard worker a craftsman of the highest calibre.
Lampard has gone walkabout when England has needed him most as has Gerrard.
Barry is a clasy competent tradesman.
Defoe is on his day world class and above.
Crouch has passion and technique to burn
Rooney is Rooney, but he hasnt delivered yet for England when it really matters.
Heskey mmm?
Terry too slow ?
England to win the WC?I wish I could say yes.....but Ferdinands injury, Walcotts axing, and the absurd gerrrard reliance has me doubting.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
I say their chances of winning it all are better than they have been in the past couple of World Cups, but I haven't seen any of your qualifiers or pre- WC matches. I normally route for England too just because you guys are like our brothers. However, you wont beat us in the opening match. 3-2 USA! I’m calling it

I think if Wayne Rooney regains the form he had mid-season in the Premier League, and if Lampard and Gerrard can finally learn to play together you guys will make it to at least the final four. There really is no reason why you wouldn't be able to get that far. It will be a huge failure if you don’t.

I am sad Didder Drogba is out. He is my favorite player by far now that Ronaldihno is half of what he once was.

How do you guys feel about the Vuvuzelas? I hate them but I can tone them out if it is a good match.

3-2!!!! I NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH...LOL

After my hardcore remote viewing session (not really, lol) i can safely predict that the score will be 3-1 to England.

What will happen is: will be leading 3 - 0 at half time and then in a dramatic twist David Beckham will come on to play and score for you guys... Hes practically and American citizen now anyway, lol...

Seriously though, i dont think the USA team is too bad and in all honesty... Its the World Cup and anything can happen.

As for the England and there chances.. I wouldn't be as bold to say that were gonna win it but i firmly believe that we stand a very good chance of being in the final four.

Im pleased that Gerrard is the new captain, hes had a fantastic season and lifting the trophy for England will just top it all of nicely, lol.

To be honest, im not sure what to make of the Vuvuzelas, I suppose they can be pretty annoying but in my own personal opinion a lot of the players who play in English and European leagues are used to ignoring the chants, insults and sometimes racist abuse from the stands so im hoping it wont have an effect.

Hey... I dont know if you guys over in the USA get any coverage but its Soccer Aid 2010 tonight.. Its England vs The Rest of the World... I think Woody Harrelson and Mike Myers are playing (representing the USA).

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by da elohim

England will be typical England !!

Nice easy group to get through, which of course means they'll struggle and keep a nation on tenterhooks !!

Then pull it out the bag so everyone goes " phew "
When knock out phase starts they'll actually start to play and mediocre England will become AWESOME England

Then a friggin penalty shootout will come....and we all know what usually happens then

But not this year cos we are goin to win !! Oh yeah, even without Walcott we ARE goin to win !!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm surprised England is favoured so highly. I think they will put in their usual soft effort and once again leave their fans disappointed.

With it so easy to get citizenship for other countries, not even the players are from the country they play for anymore, let alone the coaches. There are examples on most teams of a player who was not born there but got citizenship to allow him to play.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Titus Bramble is the pinnacle of English defending. He is the English Maldini and Nesta in one epic package of pure footballing talent, skill and ability. I don't understand why Capello didn't put him along side John Terry. With a banana peel near the penalty box, he's sure to score and Titus is the most solid center-half in the EPL. Without him they simply don't have a chance.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nastalgik

Ha,Ha, being a Newcastle fan, I know Titus Bramble only too well and he's renown for spectacular clangers and therefore more likely to put the ball in his own net.

Speaking of clangers, a horrendous Robert Green gaffe gifted the USA a point. Apparently his gloves were made from banana peels. :shk: We'll now have to lift our game against Algeria and nothing but 3 points will do. I wasn't impressed with England's performance. Argentina and South Korea looked much better.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by kindred]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
reply to post by nastalgik

Ha,Ha, being a Newcastle fan, I know Titus Bramble only too well and he's renown for spectacular clangers and therefore more likely to put the ball in his own net.

Speaking of clangers, a horrendous Robert Green gaffe gifted the USA a point. Apparently his gloves were made from banana peels. :shk: We'll now have to lift our game against Algeria and nothing but 3 points will do. I wasn't impressed with England's performance. Argentina and South Korea looked much better.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by kindred]

My local pub team looked better than England.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Talk about a gift!!! Thanks for the point Mr. Green.

Would all you bloody wankers agree that our goalie Tim Howard is one of the best, if not the best goalie in the world? Maybe only Buffon, Cech, Valades, and Casillas are on par with Howard. He pulled out some amazing saves all game, and your goalie can barely catch a ball, let alone hold on to it.

Side note, did you guys know Tim Howard has turrets? Except, that isn't the reason he yells profanities all game, that is because the rest of our team sucks and he always as to save their mistakes to keep us into the game.

I hope England and U.S.A. both advance!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Timmy, Timmy touretts is in the nets.... F**k off F**k off F**k off.

"Tim Timminy Tim Timminy Tim Tim Teroo, we've got Tim Howard and he says '**** you'.

"Timmy Howard
F**k Off
He plays in our net
F**k Off
Timmy Howard
F**k Off
He's got Tourette's

just a few chants Tim Howard has inspired in the English premiership

I agree he's a top keeper.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join