It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tough love in a Japanese restaurant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Japanese restaurant tells diners to clean their plate or don't come back

I love the way this Japanese restauranteur is doing her bit towards a sustainable future. If you clean your plate, you get a 30% discount. If you don't eat everything, the waiters dob you in to the chef, and you get told not to come back. Oh and you don't get the 30% discount.

She describes the salad and vegetables on the plate as "not decorations" which must also be eaten and the only things which may be left are the sushi ginger and wasabi.

Reminds me a bit of Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi", and I got a huge chuckle out of the visual image of a tiny Japanese lady scolding her customers. I hope she makes a fortune out of her tough love approach to cuisine!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Masochists are going to love this place

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Wonder how they would feel if I told them to leave off the extra crap in the first place. Seems like a pretty amusing way to lose customers to me. The fact that the article explains the chef is using their restaurant as an extension of their ideology, they're in the wrong business. To be in this type of business, you cater to the customer, period. It's hard enough to run a successful restaurant, why would someone shoot themselves in the foot like this.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Interesting but probably won't stay in business very long. I wouldn't eat there simply because if I'm paying for it, I'll eat how much I want. I stopped listening to my mom tell me to finish my plate years ago.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

Well, this is Japan. It would not surprise me if weird stuff like this become trendy.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
reply to post by Hypntick

Well, this is Japan. It would not surprise me if weird stuff like this become trendy.

Oh your right its hitting Sydney right now!

first sentence of article

"SYDNEY (Reuters Life!) - An Australian restaurateur fed up with the waste left by diners has ordered her customers........"

then later

"her 30-seat restaurant in the Sydney suburb of Surry Hills"

What they can't bring it home if not done eating like a doggy bag?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tangotemper

If you don't eat everything, the waiters dob you in to the chef, and you
get told not to come back. Oh and you don't get the 30% discount.

It's interesting that they're promoting it as philosophically motivated...but I wonder if there may be some culture involved. I've eaten in restaurants where they bill you extra for every item you don't eat and then feed you a guilt trip over it.

"Insult to chef."

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It just doesn't make sense to me .......

So either, you finish your plate and get the discount, or you don't finish and are asked never to come back ?? ...... so basicaly everyone is getting the discount, there is no in between.

How is this creating a sustainable future in ANY way ??? It's not an all you can eat buffet, .... you paid for you plate wether you finish it or not, what does it matter if food is left over ?? if anything they could composte all the scraps, ... wouldn't that help create a sustainable future ??

new topics

top topics

join