It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel urges ship to divert course

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Israel urges ship to divert course

www.jpost.com

"We have no desire for a confrontation. We have no desire to board the ship," Gal told foreign reporters at the Foreign Ministry building in Jerusalem. "If the ship decides to sail the port of Ashdod, then we will ensure its safe arrival and will not board.

"We will work with the UN and international organizations to ensure that all the goods are used for the benefit of the people of Gaza," he concluded.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.haaretz.com[ /url]
[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/04/AR2010060402131.html?hpid=topnews]www.washingtonpost.com

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/4/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

He added that representative of the people on board and relevant NGOs would be able to accompany the goods to the crossing via which they would be transported to the Strip.

Did I just read that right?

I want all people who were supporting the harsh and lethal actions that cost a dozen of more lives to take not of what was just said here.

Not only does it affirm the assertions from the international community stating that the attack was unnecessary, illegal, and inhumane, but it strengthens the main point that there was always another alternative to the violent confrontation from the illegal raid.

It wasn't justified or remotely justifiable after the fact. Otherwise, they'd feel in the right to do it all over again, or as they said earlier in an attempt to embolden their own conviction and avoid weakness by seeming to regrets the actions, "next time we will use more force".

Have they come to their senses?

It didn't have to go down like that at all, Israel knows that and after the international reaction seems ready to play by the rules.

Good move.
Still, someone needs to pay.

- Lee

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
although i have no proof, the israeli's had made the intentions clear to the flotilla before they boarded, they were ignored and the flotilla with the activists did not agree to go to the other port. the corrie now has a choice and it is clear they should move onto the other port no?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I don't really feel like debating this subject yet again. But the last flotilla was offered the same alternatives to dock and offload at a designated port. The captain blatantly refused and stayed on course. They were given every opportunity to avoid conflict. The captain and those that conducted the assaults on the IDF troops made a decision to escalate the events.

If the captain had heeded the warnings and obeyed the requests we wouldn't be having these discussions. The captain is ultimately responsible for the safety and well being of all persons on his ship. The ship is the so called floating sovereign nation. Many of those on that lead vessel had no idea what they were in for and the captain knew exactly what was going on.

I have my "6 Pack" captains license and I would never dream of leading people who have entrusted their safety to me into harms way. All for the sake of political posturing.

Furthermore, the blockade and the ship boarding were LEGAL. The attack on the IDF officers was ILLEGAL and provocative.

Sadly, no one had to die. However, if you attack a soldier with a deadly weapon you can expect to be met with equal or greater force.

Imagine attacking a police officer in a similar who has pulled you over for suspicion of DWI. You will end up shot and most likely dead.

I posted on the legal issues in another thread and I will be glad to repost that here as well.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If the intent of this ship is to bring aid to the people of Gaza, then they have a way to do that without confrontation.

If the intent of the ship is to run a blockade with the violence associated with such an action, then it will clearly be the responsibility of those on the ship.

We can wait and see what the people on the ship decide to do

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

From what I understand this is standard procedure.
I hope they get the hint and do as they are told.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think this is one of those wait and see events. For obvious reasons, I cannot
believe everything I hear and half of what I see. Israel apparently cannot be trusted, and until this new aid ship arrives is safe and sound I will be be keeping my fingers crossed.

As to the previous attacked flotilla, there must be justice!

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Doc Holliday1873]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The floatilla has a choice; continue on with the aid mission or abort.

What happens when they abort? Israeli blackmail wins again, another humanitarian effort thwarted, Palestinians suffer even more.

History is defined by those who repeat the same mistakes, or by those who dare to do what needs to be done. If this aid convoy continues towards Gaza, then Israel will have to make the choice.

And what happens if Israel has to attack the floatilla again? Will they kill all aboard? If this floatilla continues to Gaza, then they will win. Even if they all die, the world will see just how much Israel cares about humanity. If after this the world still sits by with its head up its ass, then we all fail.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Sorry but you dont know the procedures. Israel takes always %80 percent of the aid and gives the rest to Gaza. It is blockade you know, blockade. Why do you think it is called blockade....?
Please try to think from the perspective of Gazans, which are normal people like you, not through the glass of big boss called Israel.
Is it so easy to manipulate the views of ordinary people?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It's amazing how people shape their perspectives to what they feel they SHOULD be thinking.

Enough with the "the ship had a choice but they did not respond"
It's international waters, they don't have to respond!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough with that already, these were humanitarians
Israel had no right to invade the boat on international waters and it had no right to sabotage the Irish ship.

Come on people!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
So a bully tells you "Lick my Boot and give me your lunch money, and I won't beat you up."

Those who advise the relief ship(s) to capitulate obiviously believe in the priciple of "Might Makes Right".

I say, Grow A Spine!

Every cancer starts as an otherwise innocent, if mis-directed, cell.

Sad to say that what was once a worthy, if ill-conceived, dream known as "Israel", has become a cancer upon the face of our planet.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Bhadhidar]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

So, you don't actually care about the aid reaching the people of Gaza, you only care about running the blockade.

Break the blockade and then start smuggling the weapons back into Gaza.

That will make everything better, won't it?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Israel had no right to invade the boat on international waters and it had no right to sabotage the Irish ship.

I really feel sorry for your views and the many others that post their anti-Israel veiws here. Israel had every right to stop and inspect the "Freedom Flotilla", if you want to call it that. On 17 MAY 10, Israel warned the flotilla against any attempts to break the blockade. It decided not to and attempts were made by the IDF to board the vessel Mavi Marmara for inspection. Upon boarding the veesel, the IDF was confronted by vicious passengers (contrary to peace actvists wouldn't you say?) If these so-called peace-activists didn't have anything to hide, the proper thing to do was to let the IDF inspect the cargo. If nothing was found then and only then would the flotilla gain a favorable reputation.

I don't know where you live and don't care where you live, but if your town or city were to be attacked by missiles fired from a neighboring town or city, what would your rections be or the reactions of the elected officials where you live be?

Maybe you should stop criticizing how Israel chooses to protect herself and start criticizing the people who constantly carries out unprovoked attacks on Israel.

Besides, the media, which so many claims to be Jewish controlled
, has got it all wrong. It wasn't an attack by the IDF on the "Freedom Flotilla." Israel was enforcing a blockade which was so brazenly attempting to illegally break.

It is people like you is why Israel is armed in the first place and I support their decision to my last breath.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix
reply to post by lee anoma

From what I understand this is standard procedure.
I hope they get the hint and do as they are told.

What gives Israel the right to tell anybody what to do in international waters?? Since when did anybody have to "do as they were told" in this instance?? I wish Israel would get the hint and leave the Palestinians alone.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Maybe you should stop criticizing how Israel chooses to protect herself and start criticizing the people who constantly carries out unprovoked attacks on Israel.

Oh really?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 4-6-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
In my opinion, forcing Israel to lift the blockade could backfire badly. If They lose that aspect of their perceived security, they'll just be forced into something else - possibly worse than a blockade. For example "if we can't stop the ships coming in, then we'll just have act even more aggressively to make sure our enemies don't get a chance to use the weapons we think are on the ships!"

Remember - Israel is essentially a cornered animal. The more you back it into that corner, the more dangerous it becomes.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
reply to post by Bhadhidar

So, you don't actually care about the aid reaching the people of Gaza, you only care about running the blockade.

Break the blockade and then start smuggling the weapons back into Gaza.

That will make everything better, won't it?

I don't Trust that the "bully" in this instance will send ALL of the aid to the people of Gaza.

If that was Israel's intent, they would not require the aid ship(s) to dock at a port of their choosing, instead of the most convenient to the Gazans, would they?

If Israel is worried about weapons being smuggled into Gaza, or more to the point, worried about weapons in Gaza being used against Israel, then maybe it is high time that Israel Start negotiating a Peace Treaty with the Gazans!

It is time that the US realize that Israel has out-lived its usefulness to the US agenda in the Middle East.

It is time that the US cut itself free of Israel.

And it is Long Past Time that Israel grew-up and learned to get along with her neighbors.

Or Suffer the Consequences!

And THAT might, just, make Everything Better.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Bhadhidar]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Besides, the media, which so many claims to be Jewish controlled
, has got it all wrong. It wasn't an attack by the IDF on the "Freedom Flotilla." Israel was enforcing a blockade which was so brazenly attempting to illegally break.

It is people like you is why Israel is armed in the first place and I support their decision to my last breath.

This is an illegal blockade as far as the international community is concerned so how can they be breaking it illegally??

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I don't really feel like debating this subject yet again. But the last flotilla was offered the same alternatives to dock and offload at a designated port. The captain blatantly refused and stayed on course. They were given every opportunity to avoid conflict. The captain and those that conducted the assaults on the IDF troops made a decision to escalate the events.

So what if i blocked the entrance to your home and told you to use the back door would you do as i say or would you put up a fight ?

Facts is the blocade is ilegal and they had every right in the world to fight back when they were attacked.

Would you fight back if i attacked you whilst you went about your lawfull buishness or would people say that you provoked me into killing you because i told you to go away.

Just to boil your blood what would you do if i even stopped you leaving sweets for your kids to enjoy ?

Do you realy beleive peace protestors attacked the zionist military machine or were they themselves attacked because i know what i think and i wached near live footage of the ships coming under fire before they even boarded the vessels.

Unlike the attackers the captain was not a coward and i hope others follow his coragious lead.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join