It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's Corrupt Unions Move to Outlaw Public Bankruptcies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think history is pretty clear on the impact of unions both good and bad. I won't get into that debate here as it is irrelevant to the issue of PUBLIC EMPLOYEE UNIONS and their attempt to further extort the taxpayer.

The SOLE reason for this bill is to prevent municipalities from being able to use the ONLY means to get out of a mathematically impossible to sustain contract. These public employee unions have better pay, benefits, and retirement than their non-public/non-union and non-public/union counterparts have. Also, California is a case study of how out of control public unions can fiscally ruin a state. I will concede that California pisses away money in a myriad of other ways as well, but the public sector unions there are head and shoulder above most other states in leechyness.

The political power of these unions has enabled them to secure contracts that, given the Depression we are in right now, are mathematically impossible to continue given all the other simultaneous crises, even on a tax base like California. By pushing for this these public employee unions are trying to force all other tax payers to let them live like they have been while the rest of us are paring back our lifestyle to try to make it in the new normal.

I have no problems with the idea of unions in general. But too often in my life I've seen union (and/or tenured teacher types) people be kept during lean times based solely on criteria like seniority, time in position with no regards to efficiency, productivity, or technical expertise. How long your lazy ass has been able to not get fired should have no bearing when it comes time to make hard staffing decisions during times like these.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I think that sums it up pretty well! I was trying to make some points like that in my earlier post but I think you did a much better job!

Starred your post!

<< 1   >>

join