It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researching Masonic Family Tree

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I do not come from a Masonic heritage.
As far as I am aware, I am the first in my recognisable family to join Freemasonry.

As for joining - you do what you feel is right as Khonsu said.

I would not push my son into Freemasonry when he is old enough to join. I would hope that he would choose, but just because I am a mason it does not mean that he must be one too.

Life is all about choices. Masonry is one of those choices. And that choice is nobody's to make but yours.

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Leveller]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Let me see if I can shed some light on this.

First of all some background: I was raised fundamentalist and in my early 20's was a minister.

I have heard all the anti-Masonic rhetoric before. The arguments are that the Masons are an organization that comes across as a nice fraternity for people who believe in God. But in reality practice black magic and are a cult and require allegiance to the group over your own family.

They also bring up vows where a person states that they know that they will be killed or maimed if they reveil secrets. They bring up Mozart on this allegation.

They do not like the alliances with "unbelievers." They also make charges of witch craft, satanic worship, and what not.

It is interesting to me that these arguments pretty much are the same arguments used against the Knights Templar.

Now please understand I do not believe this at all. I am about to make application to become a Mason. I now very little so I am not speaking for the Masons. I am just letting you know why the fundamentalist act the way they do. In that realm anything that is not understood or feared is evil.

After saying that I would like to tell this person to not talk about my family or give me any (mis)guidance.

You speak of family curses which is not Biblical. The believe in family curses and the need to have some sort of ceremony to remove IS party to witchcraft not Christianity.

I am also a psychotherapist and "alzheimers, bi-polar disorder etc... " is not kin to a curse at all and it is a shame and a sham to make a statement like that when we have so many people afflicted with these disorders. I guess Reagan had a family curse as well...

Show me chapter and verse that proves these allegations. Do not quote personal experiences base it on a Canon of Scripture or shut up!

I was looking for information about my family not for dribble from some sad misguided fool. If you thank that these people are lost then pray for them.

I am done talking about this. - WHEW!

Thanks for the response about tracking down this information. Is there a particular website that I may be able to contact?

Thanks

Take it easy

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Try glquebec.org...

If you click on the lick "Contact Us", you can apply for information.

This site also has a very good "overview" of masonry in my opinion.

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Leveller]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Birkhoff
Have you ever had anything really bad happen to you throughout your life - say like and injury to the head, neck, back etc...

So what you�re saying is that when I broke my ankle when I was 16, it wasn�t because I took a hard fall at the 10 yard line after a pass, but because my dad was a Mason?
Sorry, dude, that�s just plain stupid.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Masonic Light:

You said your father was a Mason, does it go further than that geneologically? And did that have anything to do with why you became a Mason?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
My grandfather who passed away over a year ago was a mason. While he wasn't perfect he lead a good life. He was even burried with his ring.

My brother is way interested in joining because of this, more power too him i feel. He may have to wait a few more years, being only 19 in Florida.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

A friend of mine had to go through a deliverance because of the masonic oaths and curses that demonized him throughout his life.

You dont sound filled in. Believing some oath is gonna curse you is demonic, you are fearful of what you dont know and use religion as a crutch.

I dont run around saying God and Jesus cursed me because I missed out in high school having nice christian girlfriends and missed out on the all you can eat underage buffet. I try to respect others people views and opinions and from what Ive heard and seen from my grandfather masons are good god fearing men that go somewhere and are well respected in the community. Religious fanatics are exactly that and most dont keep the faith or never had it to begin with.

[edit on 10-6-2004 by jrod]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
You said your father was a Mason, does it go further than that geneologically? And did that have anything to do with why you became a Mason?

My grandfather was also a Mason and Shriner, I'm not sure about his dad. But neither my dad or granddad were very active members, and it didn't influence my decision much (meaning I would have done it anyway, regardless).

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

These masons take oaths on their decendants and the higher up, the worse it gets.
A friend of mine had to go through a deliverance because of the masonic oaths and curses that demonized him throughout his life.
Their oaths are in direct opposition to GOD's word.
Have you ever had anything really bad happen to you throughout your life - say like and injury to the head, neck, back etc...

My God, Birkhoff, you are most misguided. YOu sound like you belong to the VooDoo religion, with all their curses and spells. Please, remove yourself from this thread, unless you have the proof of your convictions.

Mundane Egg,
forgive me for temporarily hijacking your thread.

I was so skeptical about Freemasonry a month ago, and since coming to this site and reading your posts, Leveller, Alex, Masonic Light, Khonsu, just to name a few, I find myself more and more interested in joining. How else will I know for sure? I mean if that many of my family members were involved, I can't see how it would be a bad thing. These are/were the nicest kind of people you could ever hope to meet!

I, too, was skeptical about freemasonry. And, the fine men you mentioned and others, like Mirthful Me, made so much sense. They send out such good vibes, for lack of a better phrase.
If you are destined for Masonry, enjoy your journey. You WILL know if it is right for you.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Also, my whole family has been in the Masons. My father, my grandfather (actually speculative and operative ha ha). Have not gone deeper than that though. But, the only thing my father said to me about the masons was that if I was ever interested, please ask and he will explain it. I asked him once about it and he explained.. About 6 or 7 years we never talked about it, then one day I decided that I was ready. Never any pressure, only that one talk.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
ML - How did you know? I mean surely you didn't just wake up one day and decide you wanted to be a Mason. I am repeatedly told I will just know, or feel it, and honestly my curiosity is fast becoming more than just curiosity, almost to the point of fascination. Right now I am just trying to counteract the stigma that was previously associated with Freemasonry for me. Unfortunately, I did not learn of my grandfather's membership until he had passed away, and my dad as I said before was a De Molay, but never went on to Masonry. I believe he said Granddaddy was close to becoming a shriner when he quit. I know the only way my curiosity on this matter will be satisfied is to experience it for myself but I still have so many what-if's bouncing around in my head. How did you know? - Or better yet - What made you finally petition?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan
I asked him once about it and he explained.. About 6 or 7 years we never talked about it, then one day I decided that I was ready. Never any pressure, only that one talk.

What was the deciding factor for you? I mean after that long what made you finally say "I want to do this."?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I have lost count of how many threads have been started about evil Masons based on pure opinion with no evidence. There is nothing wrong giving your opinon, but some of the claims that have been made against masons are ludicus. When i first joined ATS, i also made stupid claims about masons, but then one day i met one and he was one of the most polite,friendlist guys i have ever met. After meeting a mason, i have become very interested in freemasonry and i shall apply to join at 21, does that mean i am evil?

I have been told that i do have family members who are masons, found out the other day, so its down to a masonic curse that my life is a living hell?? somehow i doubt

My advice, go and read up on freemasons on a official masonic site, not some geocitie site that claims aliens control the world and masons are satanic children

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I mean surely you didn't just wake up one day and decide you wanted to be a Mason.

Alex puts up his hand... "Um... I did..."

Actually, I find that for many brethren, they just felt a calling. If you think that's weird, guess what... it's the same reason I am becoming a schoolteacher... I felt a calling. I'm not alone, either... I know of at least one other professional teacher who told me the reason she entered the profession was because it's what she felt God wanted her to do.

Now, that's not the case for everyone. Each person has to determine their own reasons. I almost envy the people who can say in words why they did things like joining the Masons, or choosing their profession. For me, all I can say is, "it was what I was meant to do."

How did you know? - Or better yet - What made you finally petition?

Have you ever been walking in a rural or forest path, or hiking, or something of the like, and you have a path you've always gone on, every day, but suddenly, one day, you get an irresistable urge to go down that other pathway? Or maybe you're walking in your neighborhood, and you just have to know what's to the West, when you've always been travelling to the North? Or you see a book in a bookstore, and even though it's not what you came for, you have to look at it and buy it, and it turns out to be something you needed without ever knowing it? It was that way with me.

Now, I know that sounds all weird and soft-headed, but I assure you, to me it was not. As far as I'm concerned, I can tell the difference between my own fictional, muddle-headed fantasies and reality. And these "calls" were reality, as solid and hard as going in to work every day.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

How did you know? - Or better yet - What made you finally petition?

There were two major reasons. I was in college at the time, majoring in philosophy and minoring in history. I had deep interest in the way that western civilization turned around in the 1700�s, and became fascinated with the Age of Enlightenment, and guys like Voltaire and Goethe. During my studies, the subject of Freemasonry kept popping up, which aroused my curiousity. I�d always sort of considered Masonry to be an old boy�s club, and wasn�t really interested. My dad would go to meetings once in a while with my uncle, and both used to march in the Shrine parades, but I hadn�t paid much attention. I had no idea is was filled with so rich a history, and was fascinated by its influence on modern democratic culture.
The second reason is that I read Albert Pike�s book �Morals and Dogma�, and immediately considered it one of the best works on philosophy in the history of the English language. What Pike wrote inspired me deeply, and I wasted no time afterwards in petitioning. Because of Pike�s influence, I entered the Scottish Rite immediately after having became a Master Mason.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   

What was the deciding factor for you? I mean after that long what made you finally say "I want to do this."?

I was surrounded by Masons, in my family, while in the military, friends, business acquaintances, they were everywhere. I always intended to do it, but in youth we sometimes lose sight of what is important. I finally ran out of excuses (no time, how can I be active while traveling, etc), and took the plunge, it was and is the best thing I ever did... except... that if I had done it sooner... I would be so much higher ranking now! Just think how high my rank would be! I'd be the rankest Mason on ATS I�ll bet, all would bow down to my rank... errr... ummm... sorry, I just had a MrNECROS/ToBeInHisLight/jhova/Decretal moment (I apologize to any posers/frauds who may have been omitted), I think it would be best if I go and polish my dues cards now.

p.s. At least it wasn't as bad as some of the ridiculous mystery religions outbursts we've had to endure.

[edit on 11/6/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I will have to go with AK on this one.

I think you will just know of you would like to do it. If you are a bit interested now, then read up on the real websites. Look for the Grand Lodge website in your area. Contact them if you are interested afterwards. Have a loo around the lodge and just ask questions. There is not any pressure if you go. You will have to be the one to initiate the process. If it feels right when you see the place and meet the people, then go for it. If not, then your path may be leading you somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Wow these threads really get detoured!

Thanks for the information and links regarding researching my family tree.

Since we are detoured here ---did anyone want to comment on my remark that it seems ...to me...that the arguments against Masonry seem to be similar to the ones against the Templars...

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Sure, ME, if you look at most of the persecuted "secret" groups through out history, you'll find this common offesive against them. Why? One, it gets to the root fears of people, the ignorant that is, and plays of the thing they are most fanatical about, religion. Two, there is no way for the group really to disprove that they aren't doing said acts. Sure they can protest to the fact that they don't, but they are already "evil" and are just "hiding" something, as the persacutors said they would.

It's like the witch hunts, we are going to burn you at the stake, if you don't burn your a witch, if you do burn, well,,, your not a witch, but your DEAD! Or we are going to dunk you in water, if you don't drown we know your a witch, if you die, we will know that you are not.

You'd think after hundreds of years of stupidity, people wouldn't be doing the same thing. People HAVE to believe the worst, and HAVE to believe there is more to things. Well, sometimes an orange is just an orange. There is and never has been any facts about the things the Masons and the Templars are/were accussed of, but why does that matter? Sure hope these people don't sit on a jury anytime soon.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Call me stupid but if the oaths you make as you go from rite to rite have no power and affect why you do make the oaths in the first place? And secondly if you are convinced the oaths you take are powerless why the secrecy? Because if you divulge information it's not like it's really going to happen is it? Just intrigued?

"In my vision at night I looked and there before me was one like a Son of Man, comming with the clouds from heaven He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and soveregin power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his Kingdom is one that will never be destroyed"

Daniel 13:13-14

May the light and power and authority of the Kingdom of God break into the darkness of your lives.

Bless you all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join