It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean currents likely to carry oil into Atlantic

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Ocean currents likely to carry oil into Atlantic

www2.ucar.edu

BOULDER—A detailed computer modeling study released today indicates that oil from the massive spill in the Gulf of Mexico might soon extend along thousands of miles of the Atlantic coast and open ocean as early as this summer. The modeling results are captured in a series of dramatic animations produced by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and collaborators.
This animation shows one scenario of how oil released at the location of the Deepwater Horizon disaster on April 20 in the Gulf of Mexico may move in the upper 65 feet of the ocean. This is not a forecast, but rather,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Those of us living on the Atlantic coast have been worrying about this for some time and it looks like, if the models are right, that the oil will make its way into the Atlantic Ocean and possibly to the Carolina coast lines. This would mean bad news for tourist towns that depend on the income generated by vacationers visiting the coastal regions along the Atlantic shorelines. Not to forget that many fishermen depend on the waters for shrimp, oysters, crap and other fish to make their living.

www2.ucar.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Below is a hint of what may come for the Atlantic waters and those living on or near them. This could be a major incident along the Atlantic coastline.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Wow, in all 6 simulations, there's no escape for Florida. I'm sure they'll be thrilled. I wonder if the gloop can actually make it to European/Asian shores?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
Wow, in all 6 simulations, there's no escape for Florida. I'm sure they'll be thrilled. I wonder if the gloop can actually make it to European/Asian shores?

I'm pretty sure it can make it all the way to Europe and worse. i think by the end, there will be a thin film of oil on all the earth's ocean, unless they can stop it now.

The oil must effect the plankton somehow by at least blocking sunlight, that has to travel up the food chain?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantumdragon

Originally posted by yuefo

The oil must effect the plankton somehow by at least blocking sunlight, that has to travel up the food chain?

If the plankton is affected, isn't that...game over?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
www2.ucar.edu...

Good lord.
quantumdragon has a good question about the plankton here, algae as well. Most of the world's oxygen is produced by the oceans' microbial plant life if I'm not mistaken, and a swaft of oil this large really could be a factor. Thanks for posting this one, never really hit me how far it could go.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
www.thesunnews.com...

the above report is from/concerning Myrtle Beach in SC
not that we are on top of it, i look at this place being 20 years
behind the rest of the country...

heck, the city still has an agency created for the hurricane Hugo aftermath

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I have tried to post many times and I often cannot get my posts to work for some reason.

Do any of you think this is that False Flag that so many were fearing/expecting?

This disaster will surpass the 911 tragedy bigtime. I am just heartsick about it all. I think this is right in line with the 2012 theory, although I obviously do not know that for sure.

If you are on Facebook, please check out BOYCOTT BP.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

LOL...Yes for sure. Horry county is behind on many things that for sure

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

If the fishing grounds in the Atlantic were in trouble before ... they are going to have to be helped out big time after this. Looks like it misses N.Y., but it will impact the Carolina area and the big estuary there ... I don't think this is a good thing for that area at all!!

Maybe if it collects where all the junk is .. in that mid-ocean Gyre they can torch the whole thing .. it would be like the fires they set in the dumps outside of town, only bigger ... --- we're such a messy species, but we could improve!!

Computer model of Atlantic Currents from the Gulf:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I am worried about the islands off the GA coast(jekyll is my island), sea turtles come here every year to lay eggs. Dolphins swin 10 ft from you, what is going to happen to my my beautiful paradise?

www.enterprisecorruption.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm going to repeat what I posted before regarding this, somehow it goes to the wayside so to speak.

This is the start of the worst to come for every shore line in the Gulf all the way up the East coast. Please for those that have insight, take what is important to you and prepare for a Mass exit. Sorry to say, if you wait, it will be to late! Our Gov-ment already in the process of a huge Emergency evacuations. Knowing full well, those that refuse to leave, well it is what it is. However where in hell are you going to put those that do relocate. I trust for those that have a choice, make it soon. The handwriting is on the wall. Look at the wild life covered with oil, you will be the next victims. Not to mention once the toxic vapors reach the air flow when the first Hurricane goes thru that area, like it did when Katrina went thur, there will be nouthing like it that we have ever seen. Thousand of miles into the rest of the States will feel, taste, realize the outcome.
Our food supply that is growing on land will be the same as what currently being wasted in the Ocean, Food for thought... amoung other things yet to come. Just my opinion!

I go to sleep and wake up everyday with this on my thoughts, with nouthing more.

Think fast!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I recently had lunch with a retired geophysicist who specialized in the analysis of ocean currents. She worked in the field for 40 years. I asked her about the 'real deal' behind what will happen with the oil slick. She said that the media was focusing on the actual leak and is avoiding talking about the inevitable effects of what will happen.

She explained to me that because the oil is entering the outer edge of the gulf stream, it will be carried around the entire coastline of Florida and will then follow the stream to the eastern coast of the US. She said that it is certain that we will see oil washing up on the shores of the eastern US within a month or sooner. She said that once oil in the Gulf current (warm water) intersects with the Labrador current (cold water), it will cause all of the oil on the outer portion of the Gulf current to whirlpool together toward the coast. She said there is no chance that the oil will be carried out to the open ocean because of the activity of the North Equatorial current.

She said there is nothing that can be done to stop the oil that is in the ocean current. She mentioned that there are biological organisms that do not require oxygen which can be sprayed on the oil, but these organisms are not natural to the environment of the east coast, and there will be unintended consequences with further upset to the ecosystem.

Again, she said that based on the speed and flow of the currents carrying the oil slick, we will see oil washing on the shores of the east coast of the US within a month if not sooner.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Incidentally, she also told me that the absolute "best case scenario" with the highest probability is that the oil sinks to the bottom of the ocean on the east coast. She said it would take literally years for this to occur based on the present characteristics of the currents along the east coast.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

In looking at the model, the time it starts up the atlantic coast line will be when I am on a caribbean cruise out of port canaveral.... Ill be on my way back... I'll see what i can find out the week of July 4th and post any pictures which may be relevant.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It is as the indians predicted. Take care of mother earth and she will take care of you. Scorn her and hell hath no fury like a women scorned. More so for mother earth. This is fallen in line with the 2012 prediction for the death of civilation as we know it. If nothing else it is going to be bad very bad for a lot of people.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Reactor]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join