It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: More Unusual weather, Rains continue in Texas Flooding Grows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
In a continuation of a series of reports here at ATSNN on unusual weather the following is an update and added food for thought. Today the rains in Texas continue and flooding is widespread...

Original News Source:

Guardian

The creek on John Williams' farm in northern Texas usually overflows during heavy rains. But when the downpour that started Sunday still hadn't let up three days later, he knew something was different.

``I expected to hold some water, but not for it to be a constant Noah�s Ark,�� said Williams, who had 10 inches of water in his barn in Weatherford by Wednesday.

The rains have caused extensive flooding, closed roads and prompted high-water rescues in northern Texas; other areas of the state also have seen heavy rains.

National Weather Service meteorologist Daniel Huckaby said areas west of Fort Worth have been hit with at least 10 inches of rain since Sunday.

``For a location to receive 10 inches, that�s probably an event that only happens once every few decades,�� Huckaby said.

Please visit the above original source link for the full report.

As stated in previous reports any one of these events are not that unusual however these are the reports given by the maistream media.

There are many factors among all of this strange weather people are seeing. First there is a pattern on a global scale of weather anomalies which are very interesting and can show a trend toward a dramatic climate change in the near future. These anomalies combined with the rapid melting polar ice caps and the slowing ocean currents should tell anyone that there is a huge change in climate in the works...

Related ATSNN News/Discussion:

More Unusual weather, Heavy Rains, Flooding, Power Out

[edit on 9-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 9-6-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Hello from down under-water in Texas. We have had 9.5 inches of rain gush over us in the past 24 hours. Four and a half fell over night. This afternoon the balance of 5 more swamped every road and intersection in San Antonio.

I 37 and I 35 were shut down for hours. More rain anticipated overnight.

Anybody got a boat?

Radstar

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by radstar
We have had 9.5 inches of rain gush over us in the past 24 hours. Four and a half fell over night. This afternoon the balance of 5 more swamped every road and intersection in San Antonio.

I 37 and I 35 were shut down for hours. More rain anticipated overnight.

Hello Radstar and thank you for the reply, I was wondering how long have you lived there and have you ever seen it this bad??

Gazz

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Wow, I'm one state to the west, and we're in a drought, there's a fire going nuts in the White Mountains of Arizona, we've got smoke, and I mean thick smoke now.

[edit on 9-6-2004 by cultureshock]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Um,

Thanks for the feedback. Have lived in San Antonio for 50 plus years...lol.
Today's little thunder tantrum isn't unusual at all and i have to disagree with the intrepid weather person who said this...

``For a location to receive 10 inches, that�s probably an event that only happens once every few decades,�� Huckaby said.

I consider the 24 inches that fell in 2002 more abnormal than what fell in the past 24 hours.

We had big time floods in July, the 21 and 22nd, I believe of 2002.
Major flooding threatened to break Canyon Dam on the Medina River.
Canyon Lake, which dams up a big knot in the Guadalupe River, rose so high that water went crashing over the spillway and caused drastic flooding downriver.

Ruined the tubing industry on the Guadalupe for two years. Now more rain.By the way in 2000 and 1999 we also had major flooding due to Tropic low from Mexico and the Pacific converging over our heads. I personally just laugh at the rain and stay home. I live on a lovely hill and can watch water run like a river down the cross street at the bottom of the hill. In 1999 my neighbor and his son took out their canoo and went cruising down the stream. It was the oddest sight I have ever seen.

rad

[edit on 9-6-2004 by radstar]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What about prior to the 2000 and late '90s...can you remember anything like this when you were younger? Because a drastic climate change wouldn't occur overnight but over a period of a few decades to a hundred years or more...

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Closer to the coast, but Texas just the same. It's been down right pouring, but I don't see why there is such a fuss. I have to agree with Radstar. It's just rain and a good one at that. At least I won't have to worry about running up my water bill for my lawn for at least a day or two.

But on a serious note, it does flood in Texas. It's nothing new. I can't say anything for San Antonio or Dallas, but on the coast, the sea breeze always brings in the typical "spring storms".
That's just my opinion/observation though.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I don't want to give away my age here...lol. But it flooded very badly in San Antonio long before I was born....1926. There are couple of restaurants downtown that had the watermark highlighted on their walls.

Then they built the Riverwalk as a drainage...storm control thing during the Depression years...built with WPA funds and workers. Also long before my time.

However, in 49 when I was a babe in arms, we had snow here that was more than a foot high. It also flooded badly that year...same as now. Then periodically we would have a major flood once a decade. The 50's were pretty dry. So were the 60's. Things started changing in 90's when there was talk of cloud seeding and the county or city were actually paying rain makers to try to make it rain.

Since 1997 we've had rather drastic flooding in Texas every year. It either comes with a hurricane washing ashore from the coast or from a mix of weather systems colliding over our heads. We get what is called by our weathermen and women, training. Lots of moisture coming from the Gulf, mixing with warm, wet Pacific trenches combining together or meeting head on with cold fronts out of the northern parts of the country.

It gets dangerous on the roads and highways and Texans still tend to drive as if we are still semi-arid. Lots of accidents, rescues and some poor soul always winds up being washed away trying to cross low water crossings.

In my concerted opinion and as a gardener who pays attention to how much rain we get...our weather is definitely becoming stranger and wilder with each passing year.

I think this is because the jet stream is moving ...further east each year. The trade winds used to blow quite nice across Texas back in the 50's and the 60'
I remember even noticing them as long ago as 95 when I was gardening up the street a few houses. But since 2000 there has only been one or two times that the wind has blown out of the East.

That used to be a normal direction for the wind in some seasons. Not any more. The wind comes from the south, southeast, southwest or north. East just doesn't blow any more at all, not as far as San Antonio.

[edit on 9-6-2004 by radstar]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
24" in 2002... hmm and in an area that has neighbors in extreme drought conditions... Now can you see how even in an isolated case a pattern in weather anomalies can lead one to some conclusion.. but there are much larger issues on a global scale.. Mother nature gives us subtile and sometimes dramatic clues to follow.. Now don't forget when looking into these events to look back as far as you can for a pattern that can have data that can be graphed... Then start looking at the global weather anomalies over say the last ten years... see the extremes in Hot, Cold, Wet, Dry and don't forget when and where. Also look at the ocean currents, and the melting polar ice packs for even more clues.

I say this because the best way for people to see what kind of dramatic change in climate is coming they can believe it if they find the information on their own and spread the news. if nothing more people should be aware of these changes and the possible implications.

Gazz

[edit on 10-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Oh, the implications of the weather changing is clear and very obvious.
We don't have to look back very far to find the changes. The thing that is hard to pinpoint is what is really causing the changes.

Since joining ATS I read lots about SCALER technologies and HAARP elf waves...and those lovely Chemtrails ruining our skies.

As desperate as we have been for rain in Texas during the drought years, we've tried and studied every means possible to bring the rain. I've an 85 year old neighbor who does rain dances then hides when the thunder comes. It's funny, how we think about the weather. In Texas we have always contented that if you don't like the weather here, wait a little bit, it will change. We have had spring winter fall and summer happen in the same 24 hour time period. I'm very serious about that fact because I have personally stepped out of my house in short shorts on a vacation trip, driven 45 miles and stopped to buy gas and be hit by a Blue Norther stripping the skin off everyone from SAn Marcus northward.

Some vaction that turned out to be...but that's another story.

I would like to know the real truth behind scaler, haarp and chemtrails...

The why, the premises and theories and the test results...I believe we need full disclousure.

rad

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
What about prior to the 2000 and late '90s...can you remember anything like this when you were younger? Because a drastic climate change wouldn't occur overnight but over a period of a few decades to a hundred years or more...

Hate to say it but a drastic climate change can happen almost overnight. The system gets pushed to the breaking point and then it snaps back in a violent reaction until things balance out again. Not over decades or hundreds of years. But almost immediately.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Indy, I don't think it can happen quite that quick... it's not like BOOM and we are in an ice age.

But there are a vast number of experts who do believe we are slipping into an ice age. That would be shown in the slowing of the ocean currents. But the worst part of this change will be the extremes. some say 100 years, others say as little as 20 years for the total climate flip. The bad part is between now and then there will be the extremes and they will only get worse with each passing year.

Remember last year and the unexpected heat wave in Europe and the thousands of lives it claimed?

Gazz

[edit on 10-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Gazz... a true ice age with massive glaciers will take time. But the dramatic flip from one extreme to another really shouldn't. I'm not saying that today you have heat and tomorrow half the world is covered with 100 feet of ice. I'm saying that today you have heat and next year you may not be able to get a crop planted. And of course evidence suggests that the climate change can happen basically immediately. Like the mammoth with the green vegetation in its mouth. It takes an incredible drop in temperature to freeze an animal that size. Now pull that off when the climate is supporting tender vegetation.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Depending on which direction your personal spot of ground heads, a crust shift putting your ass on the North Pole, sure would freeze my short and t-shirt clad self pretty quick.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   

What about prior to the 2000 and late '90s...can you remember anything like this when you were younger?

May and June have always been pretty good months for rain in Texas.
In 1980 we had great thunderstorms that came rolling in like clockwork all throughout the month of May on Thursday evenings at 6:30PM. The wind would blow, the thunder crack and the rain fell trees, washed the streets clean and did wonders for the last of the spring flowers. The last Thursday in May the rain stopped and we went into a massive heat wave.

Every day the temperature went higher and higher. I stuck it out until the day my youngest was six weeks old then I got on a plane with her and her 3 year old brother and took refuge in Wisconsin until Hurricane Fredrick blew in from the coast. By the end of June we'd gone over 30 days with temperatures in the 100's. I don't recall that people were dropping like flies from the heat in Texas in 1980. They were more likely to do that in places like Chicago when the temp went up in the high nineties and grazed a hundred degrees.

It's just not uncommon to have unusual weather here. The pattern emerging right now seems to contradict what the meteorologists have predicted for years with El Nino and La Nina water patterns. I don't think we really have a good concept completely of what earth's atmospheric complexities can do. We've only been recording data for a short historic period. I think it's too soon to make any solid conclusions on what direction the earth's weather patterns are moving toward.

I've got a rancher friend up on the Red River who is probably loosing his religion over the water in his fields right now. They've been hit just as hard as we have and they're 400 miles away and in the middle of Texas's tornado alley. He says that every year there is something and he's right.

I'd rather have a plague of rain than the locust. (Grasshoppers that eat every thing in sight.)

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
"It's just not uncommon to have unusual weather here."

That is a classic quote :-)

If its not uncommon then its not unusual.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
One other thing I think is important to point out regarding south Texas weather. and that is winter here....

We used to have winter in San Antonio. Two or three times we would actually have to take out our winter coats, dust off the cobwebs and put the uncomfortable things on to go outdoors.

From 1995 until this past winter...I have slowly been tossing away each winter coat from lack of use. I had not worn anything heavier that a fleeced sweatshirt or flannel lined windbreaker on even our coldest days.

This past winter I actually took out my heavy leather bomber jacket and put it on twice to go to the store. Now that's nine years passing without ever needing a heavy coat from November thru April.

In '84 we had a freak snowstorm and had 17 inches of the lovely fluffy stuff blanket our farm south of the city. The kids hated it. It melted. Every Christmas eve that we lived on that property the pump froze and ice sheets covered the garage and five or six oak trees in the vincinity of the pump. We thawed the thing out with my blow dryer. I got a new one each christmas just to be prepared.

Between 84 and 2004 there were no more snows in San Antonio. Very few freezes affected my winter vegetables. When we moved back to the city in 85 the front faucet on the house froze. My husband changed the faucet without turning off the water, got wet, came back inside, had a cup of coffee and was done with the chore and the warming up from getting drenched. That ought to explain to you just how fleeting a freeze is here in South Texas. We're not talking the windy city here.

So two days out of 365 that needed a heavy coat isn't a bad record. I don't think I will believe the weather is really changing until I see something more like the hard winters I remember from the 50's as a kid when I had to walk to and from school bare-legged and in a skirt and blouse because that's the way every girl was dressed in the 50's. Pants and dungerees were ten years down the pike into the future.

I remember Blue Northers and cold so bitter and thick with frost that it took your breath away the minute you stepped outside. That was here, on the same street I grew up on and live on now. Winter's aren't like that now.

Winters are mild, soft, heck you hardly have to wrap a faucet or protect a single plant any more. The grass doesn't even turn brown. It's like living in the tropics all of a sudden.

So maybe that's the weather change you might want to look at ....or is it?

Now this is not much weather related, but then again it might be. I said I garden. I do so extensively. I have never ever had luck with sunflowers. This year sunflowers grew as volunteers (think weeds) by my backyard fence under the bird feeders. Cardinals have a penchant for sunflower seeds. A month ago, in May, my sunflowers were almost eight foot tall, loaded with seeds. So are all the rest of my plants in my gardens. Everything has gone to seed more rapidly than I have ever seen happen. My Esperanzas started blooming late May early June. They have seed pods six and seven inches long already. I don't remember ever harvesting the seed before August. Esperanzas are native to Mexico and a late summer color bloomers. Very odd. Very odd indeed.

rad

[edit on 10-6-2004 by radstar]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Cant speak for Texas but I lived in Florida during the 80's and we had some wild winters down there. The cold winters in Florida are the exception not the rule unless you live in the pan handle perhaps. I believe it was 1983 that the state had a severe freeze. And again in 85. But nothing compared to 1989 and the white Christmas experience in parts of Florida. The winter of 89 was brutal. It was cold in Florida from October until after Christmas. Very unusual. The winter climaxed with a massive blast of cold air on Christmas Eve that brought ice, snow and sub zero windchill's to much of the state. I remember seeing a report for Pennsicola (sp?) where it was 14 degrees with heavy snow and a windchill of -27. WOW was all I could say. Fortunately that pattern broke. But not before it destroyed alot of vegetation and brought the Atlantic water temps at Daytona Beach to an all time record low of 47 degrees (might have been 49 but I think 47). But thats not a normal Florida winter. Its not even remotely close to normal.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Ok, actually quite a few scientists believe that abrupt climate change can occur and has happened in the past in less than a decade. It has been noted than in past ice ages (not Ice Age, which is longer and happens over a longer period of time) the changes started happening in a decade and abrupt changes have, and can, happen within a few years. Let me quote this again.

" While ice ages that come on over tens of thousands of years have periodically covered large areas of the globe with glaciers, Alley is more concerned with rapid climate changes -- within a decade -- that effect the northern and southern hemispheres differently. "The secret of why the whole world rides a roller coaster in the ice age and freezes and thaws is probably greenhouse gases, especially carbon dioxide," Alley told attendees today (Feb. 17) at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. "The seesaw effect of rapid climate change is probably caused by ocean circulation and the keys to this change are locked in the polar ice." "

Excerpted from.
www.sciencedaily.com...

".......Earth�s climate repeatedly has shifted abruptly and dramatically in the past, and is capable of doing so in the future.

Fossil evidence clearly demonstrates that Earth vs climate can shift gears within a decade, establishing new and different patterns that can persist for decades to centuries. In addition, these climate shifts do not necessarily have universal, global effects. They can generate a counterintuitive scenario: Even as the earth as a whole continues to warm gradually, large regions may experience a precipitous and disruptive shift into colder climates.

This new paradigm of abrupt climate change has been well established over the last decade by research of ocean, earth and atmosphere scientists at many institutions worldwide. But the concept remains little known and scarcely appreciated in the wider community of scientists, economists, policy makers, and world political and business leaders. Thus, world leaders may be planning for climate scenarios of global warming that are opposite to what might actually occur. "

Excerpted from.
www.whoi.edu...

" The climate record for the past 100,000 years clearly indicates that the climate system has undergone periodic�and often extreme�shifts, sometimes in as little as a decade or less. The causes of abrupt climate changes have not been clearly established, but the triggering of events is likely to be the result of multiple natural processes. "

Excerpted from.
www.nap.edu...

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Thats the danger of putting all your eggs in one basket. Plan for a hot planet and you'll have nothing to bundle up with to keep warm.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join