It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Democrats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

As I have mentioned in a few of my posts, I am a registered Democrat. However, I am a conservative Democrat. Is anyone else a conservative Dem.? It really gets on my nerve when people stereotype ALL Democrats to be left-wing liberals. Although I am a Democrat, I am far from left-wing.

Joe

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Isn't that a bit of an oxy-moron? Maybe you could elaborate on what a Conservative Democrat is.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Sure...I can see how it may be an oxymoron...It is kind of like a liberal Republican.

For me it is kind of melding Democrat and Republican views. Democrat is just a name for me. I don't necessarily agree with everything the party does...then again, the same goes for the GOP.

On some views, I consider myself conservative and others I consider myself moderate.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I refuse to label myself. I think you that do are just a part of the problem.

I'm an American, and I work to make life better for all Americans, not Liberals, not conservatives, not crips, not bloods, not spics, not jews.

Its the age old adage, divide and conquer.

When you label someone you see them as the label. You no longer see a man, a woman, an american. You see a democrat, a tea bagger, a truther, a 'n-word', a [insert label here].

Its done in all realms of society. From poor to rich, white to black, upper class to low class, crip to blood....you get the idea.

Until you learn to see people, as people, then we're all doomed to fail, and nit pick and continue to be disorganized resistance to a very organized opposition.

I don't pretend to have a solution. But whoever "they" are, is winning.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Back in the day............

Untill Reagan came along and the Repubs Kultural Revolution in the 90's, both parties had conservative and liberal wings. The concept was ruined for good by the Neocons ( who oddly enough, have no real political affiliation or loyalty) under GW Bush.
Back then, there was actual bipartisanship, but hey! People actually CARED about the welfare of the Nation back then!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

I really wish that was how everyone looked at the country: For the good of America....without labels.

Unfortunately that is not how people look at things.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Yup...bipartisanship needs to come back. I agree with you about Neoconservatives under the Bush admin.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Both parties eventually lead down the same path. It all boils down to the wealthiest of Americans being elected to office and making it easier for THEIR friends to do as they want in the business realm without consequence whether they be Democrats or Republicans. Anything else is just a dog and pony show for the great unwashed masses to argue amongst themselves over petty social issues rather than realize the awful truth that we truly live in a Plutocracy.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I could see a Conservative Democrats or Liberal Republicans really being centrists.

Another way to view Conservative Democrats or Liberal Republicans is to view these people as being true, died in the wool Conservatives or Liberals that happened to be aligned with the "opposite party" because the interest group they are aligned with happens to be in a particular party's tent.

Political parties are necessarily groups of people with similar ideologies, but they are confederations of different interest groups. For example, big business, the religious right, and military tend to aggregate in the Republican tent. Labor unions, lawyers, and government workers tend to aggregate in the Republican tent. A person can be a died in the wool conservative who happens to side with the Democrats because he is in a union. Another can be a died in the wool liberal who happens to side with the Republicans because he heads up a hedge fund.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Most people are sane and centrist. Democrats are normally not left-wing-commies and Republicans are normally not right-wing-bigots. Except that during Propaganda wars they paint each other that way.

There are many, many more people like you out there from both parties.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
hotpinkurinalmint -

I agree with you. For example, I believe in a strict seperation of church and state. Most republicans might not agree with me. But my "party" the dems. would (not all mind you).

Skyfloating-

That is very true. Propaganda plays a big part in this. I hope you are right about there being more people like me in both parties. I feel it is people like that who have the power to bring the United States back to its previous glory.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The problem with Conservative Democrat elected officials is that when their party needs them most, they will screw the constituents that elected them based on the Conservative view in a second. They are bribed so easily.

Mary Landrieu of Louisiana is the perfect example.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Which is why we cannot elect officials who will be bribed easily. I am, myself am entering public office (right now I hold political office on the local level) and I can tell you that I stay true to the people and the country. Elected officials need to know they are elected for and by the people not for themselves and their pockets.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I have views all along the political spectrum from left to center to right. I have never been a member of a political party. So, while I'm not a conservative Democrat or a liberal Republican, I could be either.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I have views all along the political spectrum from left to center to right. I have never been a member of a political party. So, while I'm not a conservative Democrat or a liberal Republican, I could be either.

I, too, was independent but recently I affiliated myself so I could vote in the primaries.

new topics

top topics

join