It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fisherman's wife breaks the silence

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

I hadn't heard of Sea Brat 4, but there is another dispersant (Dispersit) that is FAR less toxic than Corexit. It's just made by another company and the big oil companies wouldn't make any profit if they used it.

BP Trying to hide Millions of Gallons of Toxic Oil?

The lesser of two evils seems to be a product called Dispersit, manufactured by Polychem, a division of U.S. Polychemical Corporation. In comparison, water-based Dispersit is toxic at 7.9-8.2 ppm; Dispersit holds about one third of the toxicity that Corexit 9500 presents. Dispersit is a much less harmful water-based product which is both EPA approved and the U.S. Coast Guard’s NCP list. So why isn’t it being used?
Dispersit has a demonstrated effectiveness of 100% on the lighter South Louisiana crude, and 40% on Pruhoe Bay’s heavier crude. Exxon’s Corexit 9500 is just 55% effective on SL and 55% effective on PB. On an average, Dispersit is 70% effective, and may prove 100% effective, while 9500 is an average of 50% effective, with a maximum effective use of just 55%.

Much less toxic, much more effective...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Who owns that product?

Is that why, BP isn't interested? They don't own it?

edit on by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

US Polychemical Corporation. They make cleaning products.

Dispersit

In summary, Dispersit in relation to other products available today, is:

- More effective
- Less toxic to marine life
- Works in fresh, brackish, and salt water
- Completely safe for people who contact it during application

I'm assuming that BP isn't using it because it's made by a totally different company. That's what the website I linked to assumes as well. I cannot think of another reason. Perhaps cost? Dollars are more valuable than lives, ya know...

[edit on 6/4/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

The thing in the air is Benzene and other vapor chemicals. Deadly indeed.

2nd line

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I would like to add something in response to OSHA's involvement. I work in the commercial roofing industry, and have had plenty of interaction with that agency. Their 'enforcement' is completely subjective. The bigger the company, the more that they will scrutinize your jobsites. They are a for profit agency. Thats why they never bother the mexican crews, yet they will fine us for ticky tack fouls that never result in injury. They also like to fine on a basis of how many workers are on site. Last year, we had an independent audit by former OSHA agents. They said we would have received a $50K fine for not having a grounded plug on our radio. Thats rather hypocritical I think, in light of what all these people are going through.

I remember a job several years back where we were doing asbestos tile removal on a church. We had to take a certified course and get fitted for N100 masks to uninstall asbestos tiles that were non-friable. Meaning that they didn't break and release airborn particulates. Even if they did, which they didn't, we had the respirators as backup. All in all, that made the job a major pain, and added at least 300 man hours to the project. We were monitored very closely as well by OSHA. They don't mess around.

My question is, Is BP above the laws? If OSHA demonstrates jurisdiction by claiming respirators are unnecessary, does that mean that BP is in fact operating within the USA's jurisdiction? If thats the case, then they will be obligated to pay for almost everything, including the hit to fishermen's health and livelihood. It could become what that tobacco suit became. Money into a trust that can be raided to balance state budgets. The problem with that is, they will be eradicated and reemerge under a new name with all the same culprits behind the scenes.

In industry, safety is the number one priority. It just goes to show how high up the BP folks can manipulate. Maybe all the pols who are on their way out can draft some legislation that shoves this incident down their throats, much like what they do to us common folks already, under the guise of 'safety'.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It sure looks like BP is making sure that if they are paying for the dispersant, they are making sure that money goes from the left hand to the right.

thanks for the link

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dfens

I think the territorial waters go out 12 miles, I could be wrong, so that would put all clean up efforts from 12 miles out all the way to whatever hits/impacts the shore, within OSHA territory.

If you want to see how government agencies are answering questions of concerned citizens, check out what just happened in Alabama

In my opinion, they are all acting as BP protectors...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Interesting analysis.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

BP will be paying out settlements for medical problems for decades to come. Remember asbestos anyone?

They are absolutely retarded to not provide masks, they will end up paying hundreds of millions of dollars in legal fees for years to come since their egos are too big right now to admit that the fumes may be getting people sick.

Ahhh just another thing that will ruin Hayward's day, poor guy... if only he could wake up from this nightmare.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
So in conclusion oil is a virus to combat HUMANITY!

I'm more inclined to think humanity is the virus. Honestly, what has the human race done for the Mother Earth that can be considered benevolent? We plant a tree then cut down a forest. We talk of conserving oil and energy and, here we are, in front of our computers, doing the opposite.

I'm not trying to bash you because I'm as guilty as anyone. I'm just sad that living in today's world, what choices do we have? Moving to the mountains and living off the land isn't something I think I'd be able to do...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Originally posted by maybereal11
Workers got sick during the Exxon Valdez clean-up.

While I was searching for more reports on this situation, I had stumbled upon a few press releases, and a couple of not so agenda free articles that mentioned the Valdez health issues, in a few of those they mentioned that there was a settlement with Exxon, and part of the settlement was the victims had to promise not to mention their cases.

Is that true? I

Yes...There is a confidentiality order in the personal injury lawsuit Stubblefield v. Exxon (1994), filed in Superior Court, Third Judicial District, State of Alaska. He was the only worker I am aware of who hung in there and won a settlement.

Exxon had any and all scientific research with regards to the spill sealed whenever they could.

Also see here..leaked docs after the Exxon spill showing cover-up of sick workers.

But shortly after Exxon turned over the medical reports, the oil company asked the court to bar public access to the records. The Anchorage Daily News obtained a copy of the report before a state court judge agreed to seal the record.

The internal Exxon documents show workers clogged Exxon's makeshift clinics in the Sound all summer. Every week from early June to mid-September, clinics treated 300-500 cases of "URI," health industry code for upper respiratory infections. The category includes any symptoms commonly seen with colds and flu. By the end of the summer, the visits totaled more than 5,600.

Names and Social Security numbers are blacked out on the 180-page computer print-out, so it is not possible to tell how many listings are for the same patients seeking repeat care.

Other internal Exxon memos that Mestas obtained suggest Exxon didn't want health officials looking closely at work conditions.

Gould, Exxon's chief of medicine, wrote in an internal company memo that union experts visiting the spill zone were on "a fishing expedition."

He also cautioned that NIOSH was pursuing the data so it could do a Health Hazard Evaluation, which is done to determine if workers are being exposed to any health hazards on the job.

"We do not need an HHE and should try and avoid it if possible," Gould wrote.

www.adn.com...

Also...a must read regarding clean-up workers of the Exxon Valdez...Congressional hearings in 2008...page 3 (Labor)

Congressional briefing Feb. 25, 2008 3

III. Labor
“When you have sick wildlife and you have sick people, and they are sick because of the same chemical…”

The first sick EVOS cleanup workers started calling me in May 1989. Sick former workers have continued to call me ever since for nearly 19 years. These people are from all over the United States. Their commonality is that they worked on the EVOS cleanup in 1989. They also share a lot of illness symptoms. As one told me in 2003,“I thought I had the Valdez Crud in 1989. I didn’t think I would have it for 14 years.”

www.rikiott.com...

[edit on 4-6-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Original post deleted. I made a thread, instead.

(How very odd I am).

[edit on 6/4/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

How many others are keeping quiet regarding health concerns due to the disaster in the Gulf? This woman kept quiet for weeks, in fear that speaking up could cost her husband's employment.

Included in the article is another Hayward quote...

"Food poisoning is clearly a big issue," HE said. "It's something we've got to be very mindful of."

Thanks Dr. Hayward

Kindra is advocating that BP provide clean up workers with protective masks, BP's response?

Graham MacEwen, a spokesman for BP, says the company isn't providing masks because their air monitoring shows there's no health threats to workers.

Must be the food?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

REPORTER: "But, Mr. BP Spokesman....isnt this troubling to you, at all?" MR.BP SPOKESMAN: "Why No, Not at all, son..... it is, simply a sudden & simultanious spontanious development, of very serious cases of sea sickness, in all the fisherman on board that boat, at exactly the same time, despite their years of experience on such boats, and the fact that none of them have ever experienced such sea-sickness before in their life.......you see its nothing at all to be concearned about...just a common occurance of an uncommon coincedence!!!" REPORTER: "But, sir that all kind of just seems like double-talk...dont you think that" MR. BP SPOKESMAN: "OH MY GOD!! LOOK OVER THERE!!! I THINK ITS A CHINESE LANTERN, TANGLED UP IN A WEATHER BALLOON, CAUGHT ON THE EXHAUST PIPE OF A UFO!!!!" REPORTER:"What the Hell!?!, Where? I dont see anything....HEY, Where did that guy go anyway?!?!?"

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Why would they provide masks - that just wreaks of guilt admittance of poisonous air.

This is bad.

Lost oil.
Destroyed ecosystems.
Lost jobs/work.
Billions of dollars lost from small to large time investors.

And so on.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Louisiana now requesting OSHA to take a good look and make sure that the clean up workers are safe:

La. to OSHA: Investigate oil spill cleanup safety

BATON ROUGE, La. — Louisiana health and environmental officials are asking federal safety officials to make sure workers cleaning up the Gulf of Mexico oil spill are being protected.
Health and Hospitals Secretary Alan Levine and Environmental Quality Secretary Peggy Hatch say that daily reports of injuries and illness have them worried that workers don't get proper protection. They asked the Occupational Safety and Health Administration on Friday to investigate.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Louisiana now requesting OSHA to take a good look and make sure that the clean up workers are safe:

JKM, I hope this happens, but all MSM accounts??? clearly show BO/Feds aren't giving even 1/4 of what LA is asking for...errgg....

And, From "The Official Site of the Deepwater Horizon Unified Command" (aka Govt. & BP alliance) facts (bold is mine for emphasis):

I live close to the Gulf Coast, what will I notice?

The BP Oil Spill in the Gulf could cause an odor similar to that of a gas station for communities along the affected coast.

Is the odor bad for my health?

This odor may cause symptoms such as headaches or nausea. For your own comfort, limit your exposure to the odor by staying indoors. To the extent possible, close windows and doors, turn your air conditioner on and set to a recirculation mode. If you are experiencing severe incidents of nausea or other medical issues, please seek care as soon as possible.

What if the odor gets worse?

Wind and weather will play a role in the strength of the odors. Please stay tuned to your local news stations and newspapers for further information. The gas station-like odor will likely persist over the next few days. You will be notified to take additional precautions if federal and state agencies learn of worsening conditions.

What is causing the odor?

The odor you may smell contains the same chemicals as the gas you use to fill your car. These chemicals are classified as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), specifically: benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylene and naphthalene. These VOCs can be smelled at levels well below those that would cause health problems.

What is EPA doing to monitor the air?

EPA is working around to clock to monitor air quality and keep communities informed. There are currently five active air monitoring systems stationed along the Gulf Coast.

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com...

How stupid do they think people are?

Oh, it's just causing an odor like normal at the pumps (even though there are clearly warnings about not inhaling, risks of cancer etc. at an even brief exposure at gas station)...

Oh, this odor may last over the next few days? Oh really, just the next few days?

Oh, you've lost all sources of income, but just stay inside in the air-conditioning that you may not even have, or be able to afford?

More links from the BP-Fed alliance:
www.bp.com... 1.pdf

www.bp.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
A nightmare within a nightmare.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Because BP's buddies make the Corexant, and big bucks per bucket.
I'm sure they also don't at all care how few parts per million in one's
bloodstream makes red corpuscles EXPLODE. Try the flounder, it's tangy.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Here is some bad and some good: Let us hope that the Good can be put to Good use sooner rather than later:

This looks awful, (but it misses N.Y.) .. the Mid Ocean Gyre however ... sad, sad. (Posted here)

Computer models of Gulf Current into the Atlantic:

BOULDER—A detailed computer modeling study released today indicates that oil from the massive spill in the Gulf of Mexico might soon extend along thousands of miles of the Atlantic coast and open ocean as early as this summer. The modeling results are captured in a series of dramatic animations produced by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and collaborators.

And The Good, now we may not be able to use this in the Gulf (it could possibly survive in a well or in that vast dome full of oil which we have been saving up), but once out of the Gulf .... I say let it do it's Good Samaritan thing! (also posted here)

Microbe loves crude, and after consuming goes dormant:

May 24, 2010 — Adam Abraham introduces two men who, together, have developed a safe, organic, NON-TOXIC way to remediate the Gulf Oil spill, restoring the sea's ability to sustain the microscopic base of the food chain. www.buildingabetterworldgreen.com

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Because they want most of the sealife to die underwater, so BP does not look like the crimanal's that they are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join