It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michio Kaku : oil could gush from the leaking BP deepwater well for years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I think this just add to the speculations that the Southern US will be evacuated. We're just one gulf hurricane away from that.

14 million people live directly on those shores... and if big hurricanes transport that oil more inland, we could talk about even more displaced...

That would be the biggest displacement of population IN HISTORY.

Michio Kaku has some bad news: oil could gush from the leaking BP deepwater well for years.

Physics professor Michio Kaku has some bad news: oil could gush from the leaking BP deepwater well for years.

After six methods for stopping the leak failed, BP is now trying a seventh method: "cut and cap." Underwater robots are attempting to trim the pipe connected to the blowout preventer -- and depending on how well the cut is made, either a "top hat" or "top cap" will be lowered from the surface which would then transport the spewing oil to a drilling ship.

The "cut and cap" method has several drawbacks. A perfect seal is thought to be almost impossible and some amount of oil will continue to leak into the Gulf. And the cap will have to be completely removed during inclement weather. The Gulf hurricane season began June 1, and it's expected to be the worst year since 2005.

If this seventh attempt fails, the next option will be to wait on one of two relief wells to intercept and block the original well. This is considered the best hope for permanently stopping the flow, but those wells won't be in place until August at the soonest. Some predict that it could take until Christmas.

But Kaku thinks that even those predictions could be too optimistic.
"You would have to win the lottery to get on the first try an exact, an exact meeting at the bottom of the well in order to pump cement to shut it off," Kaku told NBC's Matt Lauer Wednesday.

If the attempt fails, the drill will be reversed, the hole will be filled with cement and they will try again.

"You have to do this over and over again until you get it just right," Kaku said. "It takes many tries. So August is optimistic."

"So this could be spewing oil for months. Could it last for a year?" asked Lauer.

"It could last for years, plural. Okay? If everything fails and all these different kinds of relief wells don't work, it could be spewing stuff into the Gulf until we have dead zones, entire dead zones in the Gulf. For years," Kaku said.

I'm sure some nuts will come and say that would be good since it would create jobs to clean it up..... or that it will push for cap and trade, tax on oil or whatever. Yeah and how do you deal with tens of thousands of square miles of ravaged and poisoned land and water sources and probably tens of millions of refugees?

Not to mention this could also affect all those around the Gulf Of Mexico, Mexico and Cuba... and that is if it doesn't go in all the others streams in the ocean...

This whole thing wouldn't have happened in the first place if we switched to bio-diesel produced from hemp long ago like many advocate.

It would also been avoided if Bush hadn't allow more lenient regulations on oil platforms in 2003 if I remember correctly.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
When Mr. Kaku speaks, I listen up, and although people here have been touting this as a worst case scenario - to hear it from him is terrible sign.

Didn't they try this with the last huge oil leak and fail at 200ft? What makes them think they can make a perfect surgical seal thousands of feet down when they can't even stop up the leak with a bunch of random junk?

This is not good.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Shame on the government and their greed for oil and its associated power. Shame on obama for not disclosing free energy sources.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I love Dr Kaku!

second line.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

yo dude,

don't blame this accident on this anonymoly. You need oil.
The oil mobilezes your car.
It runs your electricity.
Plastics, everyday use, made from oil....

We are not addicted to oil, we are dependent on it.

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by saabacura

Hmmm no. If Obama was honest, he could have said day one, we legalize hemp and we use the stimulus money to build an entire industry out of it. Force all news cars starting in 2010 to have diesel engines.

With hemp, you can produce biodiesel, which replaces oil, you can produce plastic, clothes, everything oil does, BUT IT'S NOT TOXIC and you don't have to drill it off the coast.

The transition would have taken years, but in the end, America would be self-sufficient energy wise and there would be way less pollution. Oil corporations would get out of America... people would have jobs, US oil money wouldn't go to the middle-east to fund dictatorships.

Obama said he was a man with vision and with ambitions for America and for change. Give me a break, he's a big fat stinking liar like Bush was.

It would be WIN WIN WIN... but guess what, Obama is a sell out to BP, he received twenty times the money any president ever did from them.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution
When Mr. Kaku speaks, I listen up, and although people here have been touting this as a worst case scenario - to hear it from him is terrible sign.

Didn't they try this with the last huge oil leak and fail at 200ft? What makes them think they can make a perfect surgical seal thousands of feet down when they can't even stop up the leak with a bunch of random junk?

This is not good.

Exactly - this man knows his #, from the abstract to the everyday.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

A Huge star (&F) for you! Indeed, Hemp is the answer to so many problems on this planet. Hemp was used for feed for animals, food for humans, Fuel for Cars, soap, rope, cloth and a long list of other products too many to list here.
Two books to read: "The Emperor wears no clothes" and "Hemp for Health" will not only open many peoples eyes to the conspiracy surrounding hemp but also the benefits this amazing plant has for us and the planet!

[edit on 3/6/10 by wiser3]

[edit on 3/6/10 by wiser3]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution

All they have to do is pump mud in at the bottom. If the mud is heavy enough, that's all it takes to seal it.

Heavy mud is how open oil wells are sealed every day all over the planet. So there's no question it works.

The tricky part as the OP says, is intersecting the new well with the old well. But they do have technology to help them find it, something like underwater GPS. But it's not perfect and it could take several tries.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The oil will continue to spill as long as Obama needs it to, when he has cap and tax and the discontinuation of drilling in the US, then by a seeming miracle the oil will stop.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
We need to boycott them and all their products and service stations. Here is a link please comment star and flag!!!!!!!!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by saabacura
reply to post by rajaten

yo dude,

don't blame this accident on this anonymoly. You need oil.
The oil mobilezes your car.
It runs your electricity.
Plastics, everyday use, made from oil....

We are not addicted to oil, we are dependent on it.

I second that. While this is a horrible tragedy, I think it is terribly hypocritical of people to blame the oil producers, as if they were holding a gun to your head to force you to drive and consume products that are dependent on oil. You CAN in fact give it up, go live in the woods and eat berries, or you can own your part of the blame as we all should.

-rrr

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I dunno, Oils Well that end Well.

People complained when there was a shortage of Oil and forced the
prices up, Now you've got so much Oil your practically swimming in
it and you're still complaining.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Wow must be true coz a guy who imagines physics says so. And this from the twat who scaremongered about black holes and the LHC. I wonder what the BP engineers have to say about string theory and quantum fuzziness.

Scratch that I've just heard from The Cookie Monster, he says the oil could stop yesterday relativally speaking.

Kaki is an establishment shill and only barely more coherent than that other overrated twat Hawking.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a hemp based gasoline alternative would only cost about 30-40 cents per gallon. and it burns cleaner than petrol. and it also would extend engine life as well.

and older cars require no modification to run off it. fuel injected engines would require modification...but that beats buying a whole new car (hybrids...electric...)

deisel intended for his engines to be run on hemp bio fuel in the beginning. but big oil came and changed all that...

good to see people acknowledging the importance of this issue.

::edit to add::

not only would hemp have prevented this, but it can help clean it up.im not sure how many of you have seen the youtube vids showing how bales of hay clean up oil...well hemp fiber works about 100 times better than hay.

if we had hemp fields here...like george washington suggested...this issue might not be so drastic.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
First of all i would like to thank the few people on here who stand up and speak their mind. Not the "i want hemp legalized" I want to eat tofu and train my animals to not eat meat hippies, but the ones who realize even in the darkest times we need oil. It is just like coal...everyone says we dont need it but have u checked into alternative sources of energy (besides hemp)....they all suck...no matter what, unless you want to live in the dark with no heat or air like a caveman, u need fossil fuels. Oil is here and will always be here...i may not agree with all the business practices of BP, Exxon, Marathon, etc etc but i do know unless you have billions of dollars, and a very pure heart nobody is ever going to stop them. They control everything, have all the money, and if you are a starving scientist that comes up with an alternate energy all they do is say how many zeros do we put on this check for you to shut up and bam your lifes work is over...and thats what happens is people sell out due to their own greed. So dont blame Bush because last time i checked he wasnt president anymore....its time for the new president to own up to his mistakes and for his followers to realize he isnt Jesus...or whoever he wants to be. Thats everyones excuse is blame Bush! "eww gross something stinks in here"..."well if Bush wouldnt have been himself your trash can wouldnt stink!! Its all his fault!! Everything in the world!!!" Get over it....hemp will never be legal, oil is going to rape and pillage our country, and no matter how cool the president seems he will always be bought out in the end.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Will this be the event that changes our thinking? will it be the motivator that changes our way of life?

I have many reasons to doubt that it will.

Like children unwilling to learn their lesson we keep heading headlong into oblivion.

Perhaps this is the reason why we have not found intelligent life beyond our own?

Is it possible that no matter how great the intellect, nobody can overcome the drive to consume and thus all intelligent life dies as it pollutes its womb (Homeworld) to the point of death?

only time will tell.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I agree with you.

reply to post by miss_sky

There are alternatives to everything we get from oil.... the problem is that oil is less expensive(in theory) but has anyone calculated the total cost of accidents like this one into the cost of oil. i think oil is the more expensive alternative.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

The only people you are hurting by Boycotting BP are those who purchased the franchised name. A majority of the BP stations are Franchised and only carry the BP name. BP makes only a small fraction of their profits from these stations.

Boycotting the stations only creates immediate hardship and pain for the people who own and operate the franchise....not BP directly.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spookfish
Wow must be true coz a guy who imagines physics says so. And this from the twat who scaremongered about black holes and the LHC. I wonder what the BP engineers have to say about string theory and quantum fuzziness.

Scratch that I've just heard from The Cookie Monster, he says the oil could stop yesterday relativally speaking.

Kaki is an establishment shill and only barely more coherent than that other overrated twat Hawking.

It is a brazen man, or a fool, to say this of one of the most educated and intelligent men on the planet. Im positive Dr. Kaku could run intellectual circles around you, and wouldnt need to use the word "twat".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join