It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Cigarettes - Check This Out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I find it an odd coincidence that Doc Velocity just posted his stroke experience related to smoking at the same time I created this video on electronic cigarettes.

If you are a smoker, you really need to check this out.

I review the Tornado E-NI from www.totallywicked-eliquid.com...

I also talk about the Arctic Menthol e-juice from www.johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com...

----------

I need to make a few additional points here about these devices.

If your goal is to quit nicotine, these devices CAN indeed help you.

There is no law that says you must smoke nicotine laced e-juice.

People who are trying to quit can, just like the patch, reduce the level of nicotine in the juice until it gets down to zero. You can buy zero nicotine e-juice. In fact many people smoke this just for the flavor.

The device has several benefits:

1. No tar or carcinogenics.

2. No odor.

3. It can be used anywhere.

4. It can help with the psychological need to preform the act of smoking. The addiction to smoking has several parts, only one of which is the actual nicotine. This is why gum and patches don't work consistently.

I know I have two killers when it comes to smoking: Coffee and Beer.

Nothing makes me happier than smoking a cigarette while drinking a coffee or a beer.

This device gives me that flavor and feeling I crave while eliminating a huge portion of the bad stuff.

Former US Congressman Matt Salmon speaks on electronic cigarettes.

------------

I do also want to mention some things about the e-juice.

There are basically two kinds of juice, PG (propylene glycol) and VG (vegetable glycerin or Glycerol)

PG is NOT Ethylene glycol - PG has been approved for consumption by the FDA. Ethylene glycol is a toxic anti-freeze.

PG is the most common juice sold for e-cigs because it has a cleaner vaporization so it doesn't clog atomizers up as quickly as VG does. However, VG tends to produce a thicker more flavorful smoke.

PG can cause a reaction in a small portion of the population.

If you are smoking PG and find that you get headaches, nausea, or dizziness, try switching over to VG and see if that solves your problem. You may be having a reaction to the PG juice.

People also have a tendency to either over-estimate or under-estimate the amount of nicotine they are taking in while first starting on e-cigs which can also lead to headaches, nausea, or dizziness.

If you don't feel quite right while starting out, simply experiment a little until you find the right strength and type of juice that suits your smoking style.

The Johnson Creek "Red Oak" line of juices is a VG juice, while the others are PG juices.

----------------

If I had to recommend a starter pack of stuff for a person that really wants to try e-cigarettes, this is what I would buy:

1x Tornado starter kit- $80.00
www.totallywicked-eliquid.com...

1x 5 pack of 510 atomizers - $40.00

2x 10 pack of 510 refillable cartridges - $20.00

1x Red Oak e-juice sample pack - $16.00
www.johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com...

1x JC e-juice sample pack - $22.00
www.johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com...

That should get you going.

After the initial investment, the costs will decline substantially. However, you may find yourself buying all sorts of trinkets and upgrades because you really like it

You could leave the additional atomizers out until you figure out if you like it or not, but they are nice to have on hand. The start kit comes with two of them already, so you don't need to purchase them up front.

I don't mention it in the video, but I also own a 510 Titan USB Pass-through, which is a cigarette that attaches directly to a USB port on your computer and continually recharges a 300 mAh battery. This is an awesome option for those people that work desk jobs or spend a large amount of time in front of their computer.

The pass-through does not come as a kit, so you will have to purchase a separate pack of atomizers, cartridges and e-juice to have a fully functional unit.

Also the cord is fairly short, so you may have to purchase a USB extension cable if your USB port is on the back of your computer.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I have seen videos of them for months. I would try them to help me stop smoking except for one thing.. I cannot afford them.. even the cheapest trail offers on the net are very expensive.

Some of their Ads claim they are cheaper than cigs. That is Untrue.

I don't even smoke regular name brands. I spend 4 dollars a week on my tobacco product. If they can beat that.. I'll try them.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

If you spend 4 bucks a week you are either growing your own tobacco or you aren't really a "smoker"

That's a pack a week, which isn't going to cause you any harm anyways.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Haha that's the best promotional talk i've propably ever heard.

Gonna order one today if possible

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Ive been using one of these (Gamucci micro) on and off for the past few months! They're not too bad actually. Sometimes its a little temperamental and doesnt work properly.

I did think they would help me quit or at least cut down but a mixture of my low will power in this dept' and the product not being (by its own admission) a smoking cessation device I still find myself smoking quite regularly

Just to add - They are a good for a few laughs as well. As you may have seen the tip actually lights up like the end of a real cigarette (and of course theres the 'smoke' which is just vapor) - The look on my housemates face when I took a few puffs and 'stubbed it out' on my eyelid was absolutely priceless hehe

p

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Actually much more than a pack... LOL.. I buy my tobacco in a pouch and roll my own or put it in a pipe. I mostly use the pipe. You get lots more than in a pack of cigs worth for a much cheaper price.

The big boys have to pay for the filters, added chemicals and extra processing and advertising they have to do. That adds up to a lot of overhead on your pack of cigs.

To be fair.. some weeks I use a pouch and a half.. so.. about 6 bucks out of pocket per week. 1 pouch cost 4 bucks at Wal-Mart.

I'm 42 and been smoking since 18. I started on this cheaper stuff about 4 years ago. It's stronger because it has no filter. When smoking packs of cigs, I smoke a pack a day.. I smoke about as much with this too.

Plus.. I feel better smoking this natural product over a regular cig.. if I smoke a Marlboro, I can feel the chemicals hit me right away.. different from nicotine.

Still want to quit though.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
What's in the vapor ? Is the vapor worse than a smoke ?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Inside the cartridge is what I can only describe as a small cigarette filter which is soaked in nicotene (1.6% per ml) Other constituents include water, propylene, glycol and aromas So its not purely nicotene as it may suggest

Also theres some lovely warning signs on the pack The good old skull n crossbones and the warning cross with the words:

Toxic by inhalation
Toxic in contact with the skin
Toxic if swallowed
Harmful by inhalation (so important they warn you twice about inhalation)

I would upload a pic as I have a pack here with me now but cant seem to upload media.....oh and is my avatar showing? Not done much posting of late and think my account may be playing up.

Cheers

Additional: The vapour IMO is less harmful than the smoke just because it has far far less added chemicals....but who knows?!

[edit on 3/6/10 by mrvalleyboy]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Govern yourself.
Smoke organic tobacco with no additives from a water pipe or by any other method which reduces possible physical trauma from the superheated air.
Consider a vaporizer.
Consider blending tobacco with organic herbs as a substitute for additives.

Converting the process of smoking into some space-age toy is simply marketing. Seriously, if you are slave to a chemical, stop using it. If you enjoy the process of smoking (I enjoy the taste and buzz, and the ritual is generally entertaining as well) in moderation, don't feel pressured to buy the latest gimmick.

Just stay away from tobaccos/herbs that have been grown with pesticides or have additives and increase in basic self-governance regarding your level and method of consumption. It's the excessive/ignorant that should fear reaping what they have sown. Live reasonably and considerately and trust Life.

[edit on 6/3/2010 by Dasher]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Dasher

Dasher -

I have tried the ecigs for a while, the problems are with battery life, and the rapid loss of strength in the tips.

It is certainly not a 'gimmic' I hate gimmicy stuff, I only buy for functionality - and I would say ecigs are the solution to health issues related to inhalation of cigarette smoke.

There are technical issues that still need to be resolved with most brands though - but from this video, this brand looks fairly good.

Technical issues are; battery life, and constant, long lasting vapour supply at a good strength.

When I got a good brand, I used it constantly - after 3 or 4 days your lungs clear up, and you feel a lot fitter - after a month, you feel like a non smoker.

I then had battery failures, and had ordered over the net - so a long delay to get the problems sorted - in the meantime you relapse into smoking - and start forgetting the benefits, until you suddenly realize your lungs are clogged with crap again.

I highly recommend people try ecigs for themselves, I got a fairly good one - but you should buy an ample supply of spare batteries and a spare atomiser - to prevent technical problems sending you back smoking again.

Also - I am always looking for a better brand - battery life, and long lasting cartidges with constant vapour supply are the major issues for ecig designs to overcome. Personally I want to see a device that looks like a ventalin inhaler - it could have a big battery, large reservior of liquid and no need to miniturize anything including the vaporizer.

Nicotine in a water glycol vapor is a FAR and away safer way to satisfy a desire for nicotine, then conventional smoking.

I would rather enjoy safe smoking with a good vaporizer than quit.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

Yep that pretty much sums it up Id say! I have exactly the same probs with mine and it is easy to relapse once the battery fails or the cartridges run out. There are certainly tangible health benefits to the medium to heavy smoker though!

I use the Gamucci micro myself - what brand are you using

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Nice to see another Totally Wicked user on here!

I was a two pack a day smoker. I first read about e-cigs almost two years ago on here and I was intrigued (I'm a bit of a gadget-geek, so the idea of a "space age" cigarette made me giddy). I spent a few months researching them and when my first one arrived in the mail I had five cigs left in a pack and one unopened pack. I finished the five cigs and ended up giving away the second pack a few months later.

There is a huge learning curve with them. I burnt out several atomizers figuring out how to best use them (this was before all the popularity hit and there weren't many videos out for people to watch). I went through three different models before I found the Titan from Totally Wicked. I've been using it for about 8 months now and I don't know that I would ever switch my main vaper now.

I usually keep at least 2 spares of batteries and atomizers and I always order juice when I get down to just one bottle. Since December, I've spent less than 200 dollars on supplies.

For those that have problems with battery life, try out the PCCs. I have yet to find myself without a charged battery since I got one.

For me it was a life saver. I think eventually I will stop them altogether and become nicotine free, but for now, I enjoy it and I can actually run now without passing out.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mrvalleyboy

That is the reason more people should just smoke Natural American Spirits. 100% additive free. Also extremely cheap if you roll your own. Smooth too, tastes like tobacco rather than inhaling fiberglass. It's all about moderation so you aren't a 2-pack-a-day guy.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

so wrong dude, tobacco is goes way way way further when bought in roll yer own form.

in uk, most smokers i know have moved from packs of pre rolled cigs to rolling baccy ... its deffinitelly better value!

$4 a week .. thats super cheap by the way! but a pack a week, and deffinitelly enough to farm a addiction every week hehehe

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Hey that is coool. I actually thought of buying one of these things. Im a smoker and I fear of long inter continental flights.

Electric ciggs are the way to go. you can smoke'm in airplane.

Electric ciggs actually allowed me to not quit nicotine.

Nicotine is cool. Yo

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I was a massive chain smoker and thought I would never quit. Thanks to the e-cig I have been stopped over a year now and have had to make no effort whatsoever. I considered myself fit and healthy (cycling, hiking, active job) but compared to the way I feel now, I would say it was like being ill for 25 years( that's how long I smoked). Now I tend to feel in the range fantastic to euphoric, depending on the day.
I use the electronic mini cig (can't remember model no.) from the Electronic Cigarette Company. I get my liquid from Liberty Flights. I would heavily recomend buying bottles of liquid as this drops the cost considerably as well as prolonging the life of the atomiser. I have found by keeping the tip topped up you have the benefit of plenty of smoke, which is what I want, plus the atomiser has plenty to atomise.When it is 'running dry' quite frequently is what, to my mind, shortens it's life.
I would recomend one to anyone who wants to stop for health reasons, but doesn't want to stop for pleasure.
There are plenty of forums on the net for tips and advice, but one point I would make is this :
I use cigarette and cigar flavours, and have never gone back to real tobacco. However, my friends who used fruit or other non-tobacco flavours all went back to real tobacco 'for the taste'.
One word of warning THERE IS SOME CHEAP CRAP OUT THERE WHICH IS BAD FOR YOU. Use an established, recomended company and you should be ok.
Good luck to everybody who is going to convert to this.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
If you really want to stop smoking - you will. Every single person that's ever been addicted to a substance and given it up, all have one thing in common - they stopped.

The industry built around the cessation of smoking is a perfect illustration of the way of the world. They tell you that putting a cigarette in your mouth is akin to playing russian roulette and that it's nigh-on impossible to give up without support groups and phone numbers and then your offered patches or electronic cigarettes at obscene prices.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Robert Reynolds

I'm not having a go at your point here, but the thing for me was I didn't want to STOP smoking, I just wanted to stop DYING from it (or as close to that as I could get).
Electronic cigarettes offer people of the same mindset as me a way to achieve this. I would say good luck to people who want to go your route, but I think the point of this thread is to show that there is an alternative to that.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I am a smoker, and the day I saw Doc's thread, I also got some bad news of my own.

I have to quit smoking, and the problem I have is not the smoking per se, it is the nicotine.

The nicotine is the worst poison of them all, and the addictive quality of the act of smoking. Since the government changed the rules about tobacco companies several months ago that stops them from adding more nicotine to the tobacco products, I have found myself smoking more.

In my circumstance, I am facing a cold turkey quit. There are all sorts of nicotine replacement therapies on the market, but the goal for someone that wants to or has to quit is to overcome the craving and need for the nicotine. The pshychological aspect of smoking is a whole seperate ballgame to me.

I have been smoking since I was 14, and I seriously have no idea how to live without a cigarette. By the same token, replacing my addiction with something like an e-cig is not something that will benefit me at all.

I understand the point is to explain how to continue smoking (getting nicotine fixes) without cigarettes but people that have to quit for health reasons need to be educated on the facts about nicotine. I just wanted to add this comment so as not to allow people to be misled about the goal of e-cigs. Doc, like me, had to quit the nicotine, that is the real killer.

I found a good website for anyone that is interested, called whyquit.com. It explains the principals of nicotine addiction and goes in depth into nicotine replacement.

Good thread though, for people who want to continue to partake in nicotine.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I have been tobacco free for one and a half years.
Not being held hostage by the smoke nazis feels really good.
I really don't like smoke nazis.

If someone is smoking and I feel uncomfortable I move.
I mention how I quit if they want to know,
but I don't want to push it hard sell

I used Lazer therapy to quit.
it works..
just don't get hammered drunk for the first while
and don't get cocky and have a drag

I smoked 16
25 packs of Indian smokes a week.

I am studying wild herbs and wild food because
I would like to try to avoid
the pharmanazis
the petrochemical ferttilizer nazis...