It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cause And Treatment For Both Schizophrenia And Multiple Sclerosis?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The latest issue of Discover magazine (June 2010) has an interesting article that examines some contemporary research on schizophrenia that offers a radical departure from traditional assumptions of what schizophrenia is, where it comes from and how it ought to be treated. I found it incredibly interesting and somewhat shocking in its implications, so I thought I'd research a little and share.

E. Fuller Torrey, Executive Director of the Stanley Medical Research Institute, is a world-renowned research psychiatrist, specializing in schizophrenia (a specialty spawned by the schizophrenia of his sister which began noticeably manifesting in 1937). Torrey has studied psychiatry for over forty years. Almost right away, Torrey began noticing things amongst schizophrenics and the research available at the time that veered from the status quo that, much like today, considers schizophrenia a mental disorder, likely with a genetic component; though it is important to emphasize that it seems the field is much more open to the possibility of schizophrenia, typically, requiring a genetic predisposition and the negative influence of specific environmental factors.

For example, schizophrenics have specific, physical symptoms that imply the characteristics of issues not typically restricted, necessarily, to many mental maladies. They have inflamed white blood cells, enlarged brain ventricles, decreased brain tissue, etc. Their blood also contains lymphocytes that mirror the infection-fighting agents present in the blood of patients stricken with mononucleosis. Furthermore, many of these symptoms, and specifically inflammation and loss of brain tissue, correspondingly increase as the schizophrenia in the individual grows in severity. Based on these observations, Torrey began to develop a hypothesis that schizophrenia was not a psychological disorder, but an infectious brain disease.

So Torrey began to explore schizophrenia with a different strategy - rather than examining personal backgrounds for emotional trauma and utilizing analysis to compile records that would, hopefully, reveal common, collective patterns in individual lives, he rejected Freudian approaches and psychoanalysis, all together. He has also suggested that the accepted genetic component of schizophrenia is significantly overemphasized. [Note that the rule, rather than the exception, is that amongst twins, it is almost always the case that only one develops schizophrenia.] Torrey began investigating schizophrenia as an infectious disease; next, he started to search for the agent of infection.

Torrey found from other researchers that schizophrenics possess antibodies within their bloodstream for toxoplasma, as well as the Epstein-Barr virus which causes mononucleosis ("mono" or "the kissing disease" - a type of herpes which has affected 90% of all people) and cytomegalovirus (also a type of herpes whose antibodies are found in 40% of the world population). Toxoplasma is a parasitic protozoa, spread by house cats, that is generally relatively malign, but can be fatal to developing fetuses. Also, the Epstein-Barr virus does not only cause these "minor" conditions. It is also implicated as the causative agent for a wide range of much more serious conditions like lymphoma, lupus, HIV-related central nervous system lymphomas and multiple sclerosis. But, as mentioned, possessing the antibodies for conditions sparked by Epstein-Barr is hardly unusual in the general population.

Possession of these agents necessitate prior exposure; however, the actual infectious agent, itself, was never found in the patients, implying a long-ago condition. It may be important to note here that schizophrenia almost always develops in the 20s and early 30s. People that develop schizophrenia in childhood or middle or old age are exceedingly rare.

Robert Yolken, Distinguished Professor of Neurobiology at Johns Hopkins University, has studied the role of retroviruses in schizophrenics and has suggested that the HERV-W retrovirus group play a significant role in the development of schizophrenia, whether as the cause or as a symptom.

Retroviruses are viruses that "hijack" the DNA-producing capacities of cells in order to perpetually reproduce themselves, from their own RNA, within the genome of the host ... and continue to infect additional cells (HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, is, of course, a retrovirus). MSRV is a a specific retrovirus within the HERV-W group that is linked with multiple sclerosis.

Some retroviruses spread to other hosts while their host is still alive; else they die when the host dies. Endogenous retroviruses, though, rather than "infecting" their host, become intwined within the genetic code of the host and pass themselves on just as any other genetic material is passed on, perpetuating themselves for thousands, perhaps millions of years. I believe the human genome contains retroviruses that were accumulated before humans ever existed, or mammals, for that matter.

HERV-W is an endogenous retrovirus group.

As for cutting to the chase and focusing on any direct relationship between schizophrenia and multiple sclerosis, Yolken notes that the two disorders are distinct and possess very different pathological characteristics. However, on the other hand, there are profound similarities between them, as well, including age of onset of symptoms, time of the year that victims are born (this seems rather insignificant, but it can be critical when you consider, for example, that diseases can be caused by other conditions that are specifically caused by temporal conditions like cold weather or the diseases that flourish in cold weather - possibly because of suppressed immune systems) and even the geographical location of victims. Note that a common given for schizophrenia is that victims are far more often than not, born in winter and early spring.

Says Yolken:

While our report doesn't explain why the retrovirus becomes active in the first place, it presents clues as to what may happen when it does become active.

Our ultimate hope is that we can interfere with the retrovirus by preventing it from becoming active. If we can do that, it may give doctors another method of treating schizophrenia.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So, the bottom line here is we're considering prenatal infections as affecting innate retroviruses within the human genome that cause physical disturbances to physiological development, including brain development and either creating the "correct" conditions for, or actually specifically causing schizophrenia (and any other related issues, like multiple sclerosis.)

Says Yolken, "It is now clear that much about schizophrenia is determined in and around pregnancy."

This kinda blows my mind because how much have we been led to believe that schizophrenia is a mental disorder spurned by mental and/or emotional trauma? I suppose that's not to say that the two can't go hand-in-hand, but this research suggest a physiological cause, rather than a strictly environmental one.

The exciting part is that if schizophrenia (and any other disorder) is physiological and has specific biological causes, treatments seem to be much more attainable than the imprecision of psychiatry, and in particular, psychoanalytic therapy (not that I am necessarily maligning these treatments … I am unqualified to do so). But a disease with specific causative agents seems to be better treated by treating those agents (or the environmental factors that may breed those agents). And of course, the best part is that this research infers a possible way to avoid or eliminate schizophrenia and therefore, bypass the need for any treatment.

If the genes involved in schizophrenia can be determined, they can be investigated for retroviral evidence. "If retroviral activation starts off processes leading to the development of schizophrenia, it should be possible to treat or even prevent the disease with anti-viral drugs," Yolken says.

Just a note: Fuller Torrey and Robert Yolken are not without their critics. Dissenting views and criticism of their research and/or opinions are easily found through research.

Sources/Links of Interest
Psychiatric News: Retrovirus May Offer Clue To Schizophrenia Risk
BBC News: Virus link to schizophrenia
Genome News Network: A Theory of Schizophrenia, Viruses and Pregnancy
June 2010 Discover magazine (the article is not currently online - much of this was reported by me from memory or backed up from the above sources)

[disclaimer] I'm a regular dude with a casual interest in this topic. I'm no doctor, no scientist, nor expert on pretty much anything and certainly not this topic nor anything I wrote about. So, there could be, and most likely are, errors. Please forgive, if so. And if this information is more than just interesting to you, please research for yourself to verify the material.

[edit on Jun 01, 2010 by Hadrian]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Also, here's an interesting rebuttal to the Discover article from a guy that would seem to thrive on ATS (assuming he isn't already) ... and he very well may have a point.

Health Forums: Discover Magazine Attempts to Perpetuate Schzophrenic Suffering

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Schizophrenia Is a demon son, That`s all. You need to cast it out.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Another conspiracy-minded view regarding the Discover article that fits right in with ATS: June 2010 Discover magazine has printed that a cause of both MS & Schizophrenia is a virus common to everyone!?

I don't know ... ATS doesn't like the Yahoo link. Here it is: answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100526095426AAZG1Zi

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Schizophrenia is a splitting of Consciousness.
I dont know the cause of SZ (though I know genetic factors are significant), but I do understand the SZ is a disorder of Consciousness in Relationship to Itself. Just as the Ordinary person is separated from the Spiritual Consciousness, the Schizophrenic is Separated from the Ordinary Consciousness.

The Ordinary Conscious person cannot understand the Spiritual Level of Consciousness and they cannot understand the SZ level of Consciousness.
The Psychiatrist is Lost.

But just as the Ordinary Consciousness can change into the Spiritual Consciousness so can the Sz Consciousness.

All that is required is an Understanding of the Nature of Consciousness.
Ordinary Consciousness is the Avoidance of Relationship to Oneself. SZ
is simply a more intense form of that avoidance.

Consciousness IS Understanding!!!! This is the Radical Teaching.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Wow! What a fascinating article. I was captivated by this thread because I'm a mental health professional. I did get a little chuckle about some of the comments of schizophrenia being thought of as the result of "past trauma" and treated with Freudian "psychoanalytic" therapy... Man - that stuff went out with the 60's!!! Today, 99% of psychiatrists do NOT do any type of counseling or talk therapy (especially with schizophrenics, as talk psychotherapy is usually not appropriate for these patients) they simply evaluate symptoms and prescribe antipsychotic medications. Psychiatrists are really nothing more than M.D.'s who specialize in psychiatric disorders. Nothing Freudian about them! They focus on meds and that's it.

The daily contact "therapy" for people who have mental disorders comes from people like me who assist these folks to live in the community as best as possible. I'm a case manager, so I help mentally ill people find housing, get to their appointments, get their medications, apply for disability benefits, get into support groups, etc.

We don't lock people up anymore (thank God) unless they are an imminent danger to themselves or others, and then only for a brief amount of time (a few days to a few weeks) until they are once again stabilized. Only in rare cases are people institutionalized long term, and even then we have to go through a very stringent legal process to do that.

I really hope there's a miracle development that someday would put me out of a job and end the heartbreak of mental illness forever!

Ann Minch, M.H.R.S.
a.k.a. "Rockerchic4God"

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Truly a nice topic. Thanks for the post, I appreciate!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The Lord said, I want to give you a revelation of what is Sarah's problem. The problem is schizophrenia. The Lord gave me this definition: Schizophrenia is a disturbance, distortion or disintegration of the development of the personality. How would you like to be the real person that God made?

I was still in bed - still had sleep in my eyes - as the Lord continued giving the revelation.

Next, the Lord instructed me to take my hands apart VERY SLOWLY. As my fingers were slowly disengaged the Lord showed me that these demonic spirits in the schizophrenic must be separated, cast out and given up. The process requires time. It is a shock to the person to discover that so much of his personality is not the real self. He may be afraid to discover what his true personality is. He needs time to adjust and to fall out of agreement with the false demon personalities, point by point. He must come to loathe the schizophrenic personality, and fall out of agreement with it. The Lord recalled to my memory Amos 3:3 How can two walk together except they be agreed? You have to give up your pet demons and associated sins.

The last two fingers to come apart were the middle fingers on each hand. The Lord showed that these fingers represent the core of the schizophrenic - Rejection and Rebellion.

The control demon is called Schizophrenia or Double-Mindedness. The Bible says A double-minded man is unstable in all of his ways (James 1:8).

The phrase translated two minds comes from a compound Greek word literally meaning two souls.

Schizophrenia ALWAYS begins with rejection.

Schizophrenia can be demonically inherited. Notice I said demonically. By that I mean it is not in the blood system, not in the genes - it is in the demons! This is what we call familiar spirits. They are familiar with your family.

Now, one can have a rejection spirit and not be a schizophrenic. Rejection is the door opener to many people getting demonized.

Rejection (shown on the left hand in the illustration) is the control demon in one of the personalities set up within the schizophrenic.

The second personality set up by the demons is rebellion. (See the middle finger on the right hand ).

The Lord showed me that I was to refer to the schizophrenic person as Sarah One and Sarah Two - the Sarah One being the real person, and the Sarah Two the schizophrenic personality which has two sides to it.

The real person is neither of the hands. The Real Self is shown in the illustration between the arms, at the bottom. Jesus must start growing in the person, developing that personality, and making it what He wants it to be. This is why the schizophrenic deliverance requires time - sometimes several months or even a year, or longer. The deliverance must work in balance with the development of the Real Self. It cannot be rushed, for there is nothing for the person to fall back upon. If every demon in the schizophrenic person were suddenly cast out he would feel totally lost. Identity with the Real Self requires time. As the schizophrenic nature is knocked out, the true personality must come forth to replace it.

He must be willing to fall out of agreement with the demons and to break old habit patterns.

On the illustration you will see a swirl at the top between the two hands. This represents a hurricane. The schizophrenic person continually creates storms around himself.

These times of storm cause the root of bitterness to form (see right hand) and to be driven deeper and deeper.

Now, let us see what the other fingers on the left hand represent. The ring finger is designated Lust. The Lord showed me that this demon weds a person to the world for love. A companion spirit in this group is Fantasy Lust which may cause the person to imagine he is some great lover of the motion picture world or to fantasize sexual experiences, as a prelude to overt acts. The harlotry spirit in women may first manifest itself in dress and provocativeness. First you entertain the thought and then you commit the act. Reject the thought and you will not follow through.

The little finger on the left hand represents insecurity and inferiority. This is yet another manifestation of rejection.

The index finger on the left hand is self-accusation. This demon causes a person to turn against himself and tears down his sense of personal worth. In most cases we have found self-accusation coupled with a compulsion to confess.

Now, let us move to the right hand in the illustration. The middle finger in the illustration is designated rebellion. As we have seen, rebellion identifies one of the false personalities set up by the demons.

The ring finger on the right hand represents self-will. This demon weds a person to selfish desires. This opens the way for stubbornness, selfishness and unteachableness. Again, we see the compensation for rejection.

The index finger is called accusation. It seeks to eliminate a concentration on self by calling attention to others. The accusation demon opens the door for companion spirits of judgmentalism.

The little finger on the right hand is self-deception. Its companions are delusion, self seduction and pride. The spirit of delusion comes along and says You are REALLY somebody; You are a spiritual giant! or some other kind of giant.

In one ministry case, the spirit of self-deception had convinced a thirteen year old girl that she was nineteen.

Through the revelation the Lord showed how the thumbs represent the Paranoid phase of schizophrenia. On the rejection side are spirits of jealousy and envy. On the rebellion side are spirits of distrust, suspicion, fear and persecution. There is another demon in this later group and it is called Confrontation with honesty at all cost. The person acting under the influence of paranoid demons is quite insensitive as to how many wounds he causes, yet he is super-sensitive to every offense towards himself.

The revelation portrayed in the fingers and thumbs has proved to be infallible, as judged by numerous ministries with schizophrenics. There is no flaw in it. It is apparent in most instances that the demons listed on the left hand are in some way associated with the triad of rejection-type spirits...rejection, fear of rejection and self-rejection.

The listing of demons on the right hand include control and possessiveness. They are directly related to rebellion.

Herein lies the problem with the schizophrenic. He is unable to forgive. He has an unforgiving spirit. The root of bitterness is kept alive and out of it comes resentment, hatred, anger, retaliation, violence and murder.

How does the schizophrenic come out of this tangled mess? The three main areas to conquer are Rejection, Rebellion and the Root of Bitterness. As these areas are conquered the house (life) must be filled by the giving and receiving of love by submission to every valid authority and by forgiveness of all persons regardless of the circumstances. When these three areas are conquered, the other related spirits lose their strength. Determination is necessary. The person who can persistently say I WILL BE DIFFERENT! I WILL NOT LET DEMONS RULE MY LIFE will eventually see victory.

Between the hands at the bottom of the illustration is a little, stick figure called The Real Self. As the deliverance takes place over a period of time, The Real Self must rise up (depicted by arrows) and part the false schizophrenic personalities by falling out of agreement with all of their influence and all that they represent. The Real Self must take on the nature of Jesus Himself. Spiritual exercises such as Bible study, prayer, fasting, praise and fellowship with other believers is essential to a successful deliverance. These spiritual exercises will also accelerate the deliverance process as the person's life is filled with the positive things of Christ Jesus.

It is hard work for both the schizophrenic patient and deliverance minister. I greatly admire schizophrenics who fight through to victory. I admire these victories above all other deliverances. The Schizophrenic deliverance is the deepest, most involved and most determined deliverance that we have encountered.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

Thanks, Ann, for your comment. The idea that I could be taken seriously, even for a moment, by someone who actually works in this field is humbling.

Keep in mind that this approach to studying schizophrenia originated in the late 60s/early 70s, so antiquated ideas of what schizophrenia is and how to treat it were very different from modern approaches.

I know, for me, whenever I think about schizophrenia, I automatically zero in on the movie Sybil, which, I imagine, is not even a somewhat fictionalized case study of schizophrenia, but more so, multiple personality disorder. So yes, I can imagine modern approaches differ a great deal from those of even 30-40 years ago.

I was more interested, though, in the idea of schizophrenia as an infectious disease, rather than a mental disorder. Or, actually, a mental disorder originating from an infectious disease, as opposed to emotional trauma.

The focus on meds is an interesting corollary as there are those who suspect that these researchers are part of the pharma conspiracy to drug everybody into submission, rather than to treat in the effort to alleviate the condition. Though I am not qualified to determine the reality, I can't help but to go against my ideology and recognize that in the cases of schizophrenia, modern drugs are in many cases fundamental to the survival of those stricken with this disorder.

"I really hope there's a miracle development that someday would put me out of a job and end the heartbreak of mental illness forever!"

This is why I posted this. Wouldn't it be great if we could look back someday on schizophrenia (and hopefully any corresponding diseases) as horrible things that no one should ever have had to dealt with?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Interesting link between mononucleosis & Schizophrenia.

At the age of 17 I had an accident where I was given several bags of blood during surgery as a precaution. This was prior to HIV or any of the screenings used today.

As a result of that blood I became very sick and then was diagnosed with mononucleosis. It put me in a haze and made me tired all the time. Up until that time I'd never been sick other than hay-fever, after that I got sick on a regular basis at least once a year.

I've always regretted being talked in to taking that blood by my surgeons as I could of survived without it, but at that age I never really considered the caveats.

I've never been diagnosed with schizophrenia, other than self diagnosed knowing I've had occasional episodes that mimic the symptoms though I think they were enhanced by substance abuse.

Now you have me thinking that bad blood more than 20 years ago is still screwing with me and there's not much I can do about it.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I'm currently an undergrad in psychology and from what I've heard, it's common knowledge that schizophrenia has a biological and environmental cause. I believe twin studies were used to clarify the causes of schizophrenia.

The treatment is tricky though. There's not really a cure for it, you kind of just give them meds to bring them back to a logical level and then try to coach them on how to deal with the symptoms.

Also @the guy saying you can cure schizophrenia by understanding consciousness
Reallllyy? That's not happening lol. Try understanding consciousness when you see bleeding faces and voices telling you to kill yourself.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Squirt1

Hello, Paxnatus here. I am intrigued as well as offended by not just this post but another one on one of my threads as it relates to schizophrenia.

I told my story on that thread detailing the life of my 13 year old Autistic son who was recently diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder.

Most on here who know me would say that I am a Christian and not afraid to say so. First, let me correct you in your misunderstanding of schizophrenia. these individuals are not "double minded" there mind has not split. It is not 2 entities fighting for control of 1 soul. My son loves the Lord and if it hadn't been for the grace of God we would not have survived all that we have.

I have witnessed personal miracles brought about because of my child. I may not have many or even any answers as to why he is suffering the way he is, but I assure you he is not demon possessed. So before you really hurt someone who may not be strong enough in their faith, please stop accusing the mentally ill of being possessed. May I ask your faith and background?

Do you also believe people who suffer from depression are spiritually weak?
That they must have done something to deserve what they are going through?

Thanks Kindly,
Pax

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Hi Pax. Thank you for your comment. I would humbly suggest you ignore comments that are so clearly ignorant and infantile without any redeeming wisdom whatsoever. I appreciate humor and have a sense myself, but also, little regard for ridiculousness masquerading as any sort of informed opinion.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I have MS, and I can assure you there is no relations what so ever between the causes of Schizophrenia and MS. MS is not directly related to location and childhood illness's. MS is an autoimmune disorder, which replicates killer T cells which attack your healthy immune system. I believe, the cause of MS is a hiccup in genetics due to High trauma and stress. Almost everybody diagnosed My age range (20-30) I know that has MS has had a significantly stressful childhood/or adulthood. We MS sufferers who are diagnosed in their 20's, I was diagnosed at 25, are the exception to the rule. Most MS patients are diagnosed in thier 40's. I believe MS can be caused differently for different people in different age ranges.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by xynephadyn]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

no, 99% of psychiatrists talk to a patient for 5mins and then prescribe them the right amount of dosage that it takes them to turn the patient into a drooling zombie or a numb pill-popper with no sex drive. brand of medicine is determined by which pharmaceutical sales rep happens to comp the most steak lunches and free samples. the fact is that psychiatrists have no idea why their patients are so f-cked up, and if the patient happens to say that demons are screwing with them they just chalk it up to their illness. instead of allowing for the possiblity, however remote they think that is the cause of their troubles, their egos and non-belief causes these ignorant idiots to pump their patients full of drugs that are so dangerous that the pharmaceutical companies don't even know for sure how they work or what they're are supposed to do. but in this God-less society these people don't want to admit any possiblility other than science because it would f-ck up their cozy little world, which ironically is so deluded that clinically they're the ones who are delusional if they think watching seinfield reruns, intellectual egoism masking their ignorance and sunday golf is normal. what do you expect from a brand of science that still thinks attaching electrodes to peoples brains and electrocuting their personalities and memories out of them is medicine. hell is full of psychiatrists, but THEY don't believe in hell so therefore hell doesn't exist. that's how deluded they are.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by randomname]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

it could be because your son loves God and has a special connection to Him the devil and his demons are tormenting him. they sure aren't going to torment a greedy, power hungry politician who is bent on global domination.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

I also have been recently diagnosed with MS (this past year) and I have to say that I have a different opinion on the cause. You did go on to say though that you think it may be different for others.....so I agree with you there.

I think that the only possible common factor between MS and Schizophrenia is the Virus. Having said that....how many illnesses out there are caused by a virus? Ummmm.....so let's go a bit further and say that they are caused by the SAME virus; Epstein Barr. I think the real significance here is that it could alter the way Schizophrenia is treated. That, I think, is quite amazing. I hope it can lead to a cure.

NOW....my personal take on MS, is that basically the syndrome is a collection of symptoms that after having ruled out EVERY other possible cause, nothing else is left so they call it MS. Sound about right? (anyone diagnosed with MS knows what I am talking about)

I am your typical late 30's female living in the PNW who has (had) extremely low vitamin D (another common link). I believe that in my case, it WAS Eptsein Barr Virus that launched my autoimmune reaction, which ultimtely led to the attack on my brain. About 13 years ago I got an accute infection for the second time in my life. It then lead to chronic Epstein Barr Virus, and the symptoms took years to slowly fade away...some never did. THEN...new symptoms started (neurological), to ultimalety get me to where I am today. My brain lesions are very small and my symptoms (thank God) mild....for now. I live with the fear every day that it could change at any time.

SO...where does that leave us? I think that the more we understand what we are dealing with, the more likely we are to come up with a sollution. I believe that there are several (perhaps all) virus's that could serve as a vector for crossing the blood-brain barrier. I think that it is a combination of infection/opportunity. Then throw in some other enviromental factors (low sun light) and stress....there ya go.

Anyways....I guess I am trying to say that I think sometimes we try too hard to see the forrest for the trees. I believe some of the answers are really quite simple and if the scientific community was not driven so much by the bottom dollar, we may come up with some sollutions a little more often.

For me, it means trying to take away the 'opportunity'. I took mega doses of vitamin D (and go into the sun whenever possible, WITHOUT sunscreen), cut back on my stress as much as possible, lost some weight, changed my diet, and probably the most important component I have found is SLEEP. If I start to get tired my symptoms stir up immediately.

S & F for the thread. I think the implications are far reaching.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian

Hi Pax. Thank you for your comment. I would humbly suggest you ignore comments that are so clearly ignorant and infantile without any redeeming wisdom whatsoever. I appreciate humor and have a sense myself, but also, little regard for ridiculousness masquerading as any sort of informed opinion.

Thank you for that! I mean it. You are so right should have taken the high road.
I find this fascinating research. If this could possibly be the case millions of lives could be changed forever! I would love to see any further research you have obtained and help in anyway I can as to furthering this research.

While yes, MS is an autoimmune disease dealing with connective tissue, it is said most autoimmune diseases have a direct correlation to the amount of stress we are under and the way we cope with that stress. Could that be for schizophrenics as well. Or what happens to turn these viruses on in utero?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus

Originally posted by Hadrian

Thank you for that! I mean it. You are so right should have taken the high road.
I find this fascinating research. If this could possibly be the case millions of lives could be changed forever! I would love to see any further research you have obtained and help in anyway I can as to furthering this research.

While yes, MS is an autoimmune disease dealing with connective tissue, it is said most autoimmune diseases have a direct correlation to the amount of stress we are under and the way we cope with that stress. Could that be for schizophrenics as well. Or what happens to turn these viruses on in utero?

Perhaps it is the time of year that they are born connection? Our Vitamin D tends to be the lowest during the winter months...which has a direct affect on our immune system (flu season).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join