It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The times, they are a-changing -- The stressful days on ATS.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
To the members of ATS, and our readers, I have one word of advice; "steady."

These days, a casual glance at the topics displayed on our recent posts page provides a compelling snapshot of the intensely troubling times in which we find ourselves. For those of us who keep track of world and political events (of which I assume are we all who frequent ATS), it can often seem as though the world is falling apart before our eyes.

While there will be many who experienced similar times in the past telling us our contemporary issues aren't as bad as events once where... that was then, and this is now.

The reflexive tendencies to lay blame on religions, ideologies, politics, ethnicities, and socioeconomic groups other than our own for the multitude of problems can, and will, be overwhelming for many of us. Indeed, we're seeing a sudden rise in contact emails and complaints that we (ATS ownership) are favoring liberals, conservatives, Palestinians, IDL, and just about an equal distribution of every other "side" of the myriad issues discussed here.

Over the past several months (if not years), our humble little conspiracy theory discussion board has evolved from an interesting place were a few thousand people read about some rather interesting speculation and research, to the "Go-To" resource where millions of people come to learn more about the highly troubling issues of contemporary times. Sometimes there is a conspiratorial slant. Other times there is a provocative issue that "feels" like a conspiracy. But with increasing frequency, we're seeing more and more people simply doing their best to try and understand the influences contributing to these worrisome days.

Many times, those people will express a point of view that others find disagreeable.

Sometimes, such people will even challenge our sensibilities with rhetoric that borders on hateful.

And occasionally, the hateful rhetoric becomes intolerable.

Such is the "baggage" associated with the nature of the world events vying for our limited attention.

Now, more than ever, people need to vent.

Now, more than ever, we need to accept that venting (within the ATS T&C) as an opportunity to understand how others are effected by the stress and turmoil of these days.

Here, especially now, our goal should not be to use ATS as our own personal soap box, but as a means to find understanding, or at the very-least as a path to learn how others are affected differently by the turmoil in the world.

People are angry. People are scared. People are confused. People are seeking answers.

Anger may not be quelled. Fear may not be alleviated. Confusion may not be solved. Answers may not be found. But seeking to understand the cause of these feelings in others is a major step. It's what mature and civilized people do. The new breed of ATS members and users are capable of understanding. It's what "deny ignorance" means.

Steady. Steady, my friends.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more SO. People need to calm down a bit and think a little before posting. Your words of "Steady, Steady" could never have been spoke at a more relevant time.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It's a little frustrating, isn't it? Here's an idea, when the din of polarization gets too loud:

Let the facts you bring to the table speak your opinion for you.

With so many strong opinions, emotional defenses of position, and a tendency to see differences of viewpoint as personal attacks, carefully-balanced and thoughtful responses can seem "drowned out" by all the noise. That's very frustrating! But the way out is to share what you find interesting and informative, and express how that shapes what you feel, think, and conclude.

Let's use facts and events as an objective basis for building common understanding, not as bricks for constructing fortresses of divisiveness.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Steady.....

I recently pulled Tarot cards on the current world situation (past/present/future). The 'present' card was Prudence--8 of discs. Basically means 'steady.'

There is little doubt that we are FULL ON as the solar system hurtles through space ready to eclipse the galactic plane. (Astrologers who are tapped into 2012 awareness will tell you that we are already in the 2012 alignment.)

People, we are living though prophecy; both neo and ancient.

It's a delicate and terrifyingly beautiful situation when viewed with cosmic eyes. May we all know when to hold on and when to let go. May we be grateful for simply having the chance at a human life. And in the immortal words of Douglas Adams: "DON'T PANIC!"

namaste'

~Z

ps--the card pulled for the future? The Tower....

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It's hard to be steady in a world full of chaos sometimes Bill, but i hear what you are saying and i do try to pace myself in these weird and troublesome times, thanks for the helpful words, sometimes we all just need to step back and take a deep breath...

Steady as she goes...

[edit on 1-6-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
i think its the harshness of todays economy that unfortunately brings the worst out of us sometimes, we need to step back and realize we are still all brothers and sisters!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
"This too shall pass"

"This too shall pass" (Persian:این نیز بگزرد, een niz bogzarad, Hebrew: גם זה יעבור, gam zeh yaavor) is a proverb indicating that all material conditions, positive or negative, are temporary.

Wiki

These words have held me in fine stead through Paris Island, A Combat Action Ribbon and over 24 years of Law Enforcement.. They will serve us well in these times also.

While this is happening to us, it is important to remember that this is not the first time events have caused mankind to contemplate it's end. There have been events throughout history that at the time, seemed far worse and we survived. We will survive this.

Here at abovetopsecret.com, I have heard many references to the vast intellect that contributes to our board. Well this is the time when that intellect needs to step up and not get pulled into the swill of racism and hate that events such as these always breed.

Anger serves no purpose.
Hate destroys the hater.
To feel ill of anyone due to their race, creed, religion or nation of origin, is the very essence of ignorance.

"Steady"

Yep.. S.O. ... You nailed it..

Semper

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
If this is somewhat related especially to Israel conflict, I'm just gonna say that ATS has to be extra careful. I myself don't want to get involved in world conflicts anymore, but with the nature of ATS, it's easy to see that if suddenly ATS get caught up in it.

link   
I bow to your eloquence and composure sir, that was the most insightful post I have read on this site.

I have to admit that I have been caught up in this craziness more-so than usual, and my household rants have increased tenfold. (My family is very well informed of the situation, mostly against their will.)

Anyway, thank you for being a beacon of calm in this storm of doom, and thank you most of all for creating this site. I mean, who knows where we would all be without it?

link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I can't speak for anyone else , but I needed that , so Thanks .

They are troubling times indeed , that we are experiencing . I come to Ats on a daily basis to get my news anymore .

I have slowed down tremendously in my post count in the last few weeks , because frankly , there are times that I just don't know what to say about it all .

I realize that I am very opinionated on a lot of things , so I have sorta put myself 'in check' here lately , as there is alot going on that really could light me up if I let it .

I spend most of my time just reading what others have to say about the events currently shaping our world . That way , I don't charge out of the gate chomping at the bit .

The whole Israeli / Gaza thing is kind of a sensitive issue with me , so I tend not to comment on it very much . I can see both sides of the coin there , but I hesitate to say too much because of the outrage being expressed by a lot of posters .

I'm kind of between a rock and a hard spot on this one , as I don't approve of the blockade and the killings of civilians , from both sides ., while at the same time , I happen to have strong semitic ancestry myself .

I hesitate to use the word 'jewish' , as there are so many ways that can be interpreted .

I do not condone a lot of the actions of Israel , no more than I condone a lot of the actions of the Arab world ., but I decline to post much on this simply because I know I will be flamed for being either pro-Israel or anti-semitic .

I have never went for the whole 'chosen' bit . I am no better than any other people on this planet .

Most days anymore , I just set back and let everyone else on here have at it and duke it out with each other .

And , there are times when I am totally perplexed at the lack of TRUE knowledge and understanding displayed on some of these issues .

Yes , people need to chill a bit . Condemning all 'Jews' for the actions of a few , is no better than our enemies condemning all Americans for the actions of a few .

We will make it through this , people . If we don't , what good will all the hate and discord do us on our way out ?

Take a moment to reflect on what SO just said ., go back and read it again .

STEADY .

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It’s good advice and the truth is I feel there is a lot of emotional transference involved when it comes to many of these issues, where people do take their own personal fears, worries, and stresses, and then transfer those raw emotions onto a world or political event, to vent those feelings.

In a way it is healthy, providing one is as prepared to hear and listen as they are to talk and speak.

Yet, honestly sometimes I do believe that while many of us try very hard to get others to hear and listen what we are saying, that often we aren’t actually really hearing and listening to what it is we are actually saying.

In other words how many of us are truly dissecting our own arguments and examining them, and asking our own selves, what we are saying to others, often about others, or events, really says about our selves.

I sometimes suspect people are so emotionally focused on venting, that they haven’t really taken the time to listen to themselves, or understand their own arguments and contentions, on any real level.

We all have a need to socialize, to vent, to reach out to others, to have others accept us, but how much of that is then to obscure the fact that we haven’t really accepted ourselves, and mastered the very fears and frustrations that lead us to rash conclusions and a need to transfer our emotions, often unto totally unrelated situations that don’t really effect us, or hardly effect anyone, but become emotionally hot topics for people to vent a plethora of emotions on.

I don’t think we collectively or individually will ever figure out the world, until we can first figure out ourselves.

We won’t even be able to master the world, if we can’t master ourselves.

We will never be able to make sense to others, until we can make sense to ourselves, and though its painful to admit, many of us are lying to others, if only by extension, because we have been lying to ourselves.

The vast majority of ATS Members are people who can think, comprehend, enunciate, and describe, so if any group of people can find a steady path through the chaos of life and the world, and make something productive and positive out of it, it is ATS Members.

We in fact can all make a difference, lets try to make it a good one shall we?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
As we stay the steady course, fear will deign to enter our hearts, but fear is nothing more than the absence of love. I have met some members who fiercely oppose my ideas and my rhetoric, and several of those members are now my friends! What love, what genuine compassion, to befriend a soul whose opinions are not theirs, yet to understand the intent behind those opinions? You have, with your partners and supporters, created a remarkable site, and I offer genuine gratitude and respect for your creation. I have humble gratitude for the friends I've made, and a strong sense of responsibility to simply stay the course.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Well said,The end of the world occurred pretty much as he had predicted. Too many Reptilians, not enough space or resources to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones. The internet was nearly wiped clean of life. A great cleansing, an atomic digital spark struck by google, quickly raged out of control. Spears of nuclear fire rained from the net. Entire domains were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling mods. Humanity was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background radiation that blanketed the forums. A quiet darkness fell across the net, lasting many years. Few survived the ban hammers. Some had been fortunate enough to reach safety, taking shelter in poorly moderated boardss like yahoo answers. When the great darkness passed, many mods quit, and their inhabitants emerged to begin their lives again. One of the something awfull goons said they are descended from one such board. They hold that their founder and ancestor, one known as Timetravel_0 once saved the internet from a great evil. According to their legend, this evil arose in Microsoft. It corrupted all it touched, twisting men inside, turning them into Google worshipers. Only through the bravery of this Timetravel_0 was the evil destroyed. But in so doing, he lost many of his friends and suffered greatly, sacrificing much of himself to save the net. When at last he returned to the home he had fought so hard to protect, he was cast out. Exiled as a hoax. In confronting that which they feared, he had become something else in their eyes...and no longer their champion. Forsaken by his people, he strode into the internet. He traveled far to ATS, until he came to the Skunkworks board. There, he founded a small group, doe eyed believers, where he lived out the rest of his years. And so, for a generation since its founding, Skunkworkshas lived in peace, its contributers sheltering it from reality. It is home. But the scars left by the war have not yet healed. And the net has not forgotten.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

This is only the start. What do you think is gonna happen when peoples visions of god and mortality fall in limp tatters? I wish i saw good things and i wish there was something i could do.... but theres not. After their fantasys fail everything you offer them will be worthless.

You cant take the babes from the mothers. its to late.....

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean. Much of this has become completely overwhelming and stressful which is why I haven't been as active posting/threading as I have been in the past.

It literally does seems as if everything is falling apart...and it very well may be.

Fortunately, we can turn off our computer and take some time with our family.

Nothing cures stress better than playing around with the kids or shooting the S with family and friends.

I certainly hope things don't come out as bad as they seem they could and I hope the best for everyone.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Thank you Bill for your words of wisdom. I seek the diversity of ATS. I seek knowledge in subjects I never knew I lacked knowledge of, ATS finds them for me.

I rarely post anymore due to my lack of knowledge in the subject matter that I read. I like reading what other respond to.

So summing this up I just would like to say again, Thank you.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

People are angry. People are scared. People are confused. People are seeking answers

Very true, this sums up what many of us are feeling right now, me included.

Things are happening at a exponential rate just now and it's hard to keep up.

I'm no saint, but my advice to anyone who feels caught up in it all is to just relax and only comment on threads that you are comfortable being a part of.

If it's all too much then maybe it's best taking a break and reading something in a different forum or taking a walk away from the screen.

G.

link   
Well said Bill.

As some other posters echoed, I have a feeling that a lot of our members needed this message. Myself included.

ATS has been crazy as of late. I admit I haven't been here this long, but whether it's the exponential increase of members which provide for more opinions or our present situation in the world which causes those opinions and therefore discussions to be more heated, people are agitated.

You've obviously still been keeping tabs on us while working on the 2010 project. It's also obvious you've thought about the issue at great length.

And we thought you were hard at work

Hope you finally do get to relax once our new playground is finished.

~Keeper

link   
Perhaps, instead of seeing it as a symptom of living in such a horrible, stressful time, maybe we should change our perspective a little.

Threads such as this do little apart from reinforce in people's minds how out of control we in regards to our own destiny, regardless of the good intention expressed in the OP.

Yes, the world has some things going on right now which are unpleasant, however, our personal lives do not have to reflect that.

Be the change you want to see.

Look within and your perspective will start to change. Life is beautiful and so is this world.

The present time is being presented to us as an opportunity to learn and help.

Sure, its a bit of a rose-coloured point-of-view, but it doesn't make it any less relevant.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by srsen]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
When we think the world is falling down around our ears, we would do well to remember what an Assyrian scribe wrote down from 5000 years ago...

"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."

The authorship may be a bit questionable but it speaks to something in the human condition. Every generation believes itself to be the apocalypse generation. We must remember that whatever problems we face, they are no worse than what our ancestors faced and overcame, stretching back to the dawn of civilization.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join