It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Dumps Microsoft Windows Company-Wide -- Blames Windows For China Hacking Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Google Dumps Microsoft Windows Company-Wide -- Blames Windows For China Hacking Attack

www.sfgate.com

Well, Google has taken the next step in its world domination plan, banning Microsoft Windows from internal use.

Employees will be given the choice between Apple's Mac OS and Linux.

Adding insult to injury, Google is also publicly citing Windows security problems for the decision and blaming Windows vulnerabilities for the China hacking incident.

So that's 20,000+ Windows licenses that won't be sold and renewed at Google in future years.

Given that Google is in the process of introducing a competitive platform and operating system (Android/Chrome), this move isn't surprising.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Title edit to reflect source

[edit on 1-6-2010 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
While I would agree that this would be a smart move by ANY company.

I wonder if there is more behind this story.

What I am really wondering is if this might also be more about corporate espionage. It would be smart for windows to insert some type of spyware into their OS which would be bad news for google.

Does anyone else have this same feeling or any other input?

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It's kind of ironic to me that they will use either Linux or Mac OS. Google is developing their own Chrome OS, why not use that?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Another thread already in place.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

-The_Zomar

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

hmm couldnt find that thread when I made mine.

however I have a question in mine that wasnt asked in the other thread.

thanks for the input though zomar

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well with google recently busted for stealing people's info over unsecured wireless networks im glad they will not be using windows anymore. But i think they are really just blowing hot air. They are comming out with their own OS which is storred online and your computer's files get storred with them. So when that comes out goolge will not be stealing your info anymore they will just have it and you will be getting it from them. Linux and Mac are no more secure than windows in fact Apple's OS is much less secure than windows. The only reason people have this false sense of security with Macs is because such a small ammount of the market uses macs so therefore les hackers and virus writters target those opperating systems.
Saying that Mac is more secure is much like duct tapping your front door shut instead of using a standard key and boasting on how no locksmith in the world would be able to pick the lock on your door.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I agree with zaiger, this seems to be pretty much a thumping of chests. A week or two ago it was Google vs. Apple with regards to Adobe and its exclusion from iPhone (and inclusion for Android). I guess I am also surprised, though, as someone else noted that a company like Google would be using MS products...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Both MS and Google should be avoided.

MS should stick with a slimmed down operating system without the bloatware and need i say more when it comes to Google spying on us.

FireFox gets $50m a year from Google and don't think that comes as a free gift with no strings.

YouTube is owned by Google and is putting flash cookies all over your machine and ebay is spying on you when you sign into mail accounts.

if they go to all these lengths to watch me then i'll go to any length to stop them.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

i heard firefox recieves somewhere around 70+ million from google.

but this is only because they have a google search bar imbedded into firefox and all that money comes from ads/refferals.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Smart move and it will save lots of money too. I was recently pricing OS's at Frys Electronics and noticed that Windows 7 Home is $199.00 while Mac OSX is $30.00. I sure wish my 3d modeling programs would run on Linux. I would switch in a minute. At least then I could keep my PCs and would not have to buy new computers.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I agree, smart move. Of course, there are likely ulterior motives as well (good Business plan) but I also prefer that there is competition out there - Microsoft needs to be challenged. As does Google.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

OSX is 199 as well. Snow leopard (service pack 1) is 30.

Linux would be a good choice if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Thanks for the correction. I take it Snow Leopard is older.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I agree its a good business move to dump windows.

Ive used Fedora. i would definitely reccomend it!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Sure Blame the operating system.

Google... stfu and get some better security software.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I hate MS. I hate Windows. And I'm starting to hate Google.

What ever happened to a OS company making a quality OS without all the bloat and security holes? Why is MS even in the business of making/selling MP3 players? Remember how MS anti-trust suit just "went away"? You think maybe they put a few government back doors in their OS just to make that happen?

Speaking of Google, what ever happened to a Web search company making a non-invasive search engine, one that DOESN'T completely rob us of our privacy? Street Views? Mapping your WiFi location? And why are they selling telephones?

I don't blame Google for dumping Windows, for any major IT enterprise running Windows OS means you'll always be MS's little b****. ('scuse the lingo.)

I've written off Windows and MS, but I'm hoping Google will turn back before they too become an enemy of web anonymity.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Earned a star for the SP reference.

However I prefer the real deal!

top topics

join