It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motivation : No Arms, No Legs, Yet Still An Inspiration : What's Your Excuse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Often I wonder about how people can be down on themselves, or down on other people, or even how people can give up under odds that pressurize a catastrophe for their lives.

People often forget that life and that which we do with it is exactly what we see and put into it.

In other words, perspective, and how we handle our crisis situations is exactly how we affect not only our own world view, but that of those around us, and everything is affected.

Having been through many events where the catalyst was a dynamic that would crush other people, and looking back on my life, I am thankful to have had such loving parents, a quest for knowledge, and never having given up, despite the odds which were almost always against me, yet never did I buckle under the pressure of the events.

I bring all of this up not because of people like Tony Robbins, which while he is an inspirational man, and a great public speaker, nor do I bring this up because of my knowledge of politics, Government, the Art of War, or because of my own strengths of character.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afce9b094460.jpg[/atsimg]

But because of a man I just recently learned about, who uses his disability to inspire others.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Nick Vujicic

Nicholas James Vujicic (December 1982) is a preacher, a motivational speaker and the Director of Life Without Limbs, a non-profit Christian organization.

He regularly gives speeches across subject of disability and hope.

Early life

The first-born child of a Croatian family, Nick Vujicic was born in Melbourne, Australia with the rare Tetra-amelia disorder: limbless, missing both arms at shoulder level, and legless but with two small feet, one of which has two toes.

Initially, his parents were devastated.

Vujicic was otherwise healthy.

Nick Vujicic, No Arms, No Legs, No Worries! Part 1 of 3

Nick Vujicic, No Arms, No Legs, No Worries! Part 2 of 3

Nick Vujicic, No Arms, No Legs, No Worries! Part 3

People all the time do things which make other people see their pettiness, shallow behavior, and divisiveness, because they do not like who they are and take it out upon other people.

Yet they do not remember it is our actions which define our character to other people.

It is those actions which we must remember and remember we are the sum of all of our experiences.

Originally I was intending to do this thread just upon one man, Nelson Mandela, because I have always seen him as an inspiration to others, after him spending 27 years in prison.

But the man came out of prison and instead of taking his rage out upon his captors he changed the world, just like Nick Vujicic is doing, and actually stopped the cycle of hatred.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Nelson Mandela

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, born 18 July 1918, served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999, and was the first South African president to be elected in a fully representative democratic election.

Before his presidency, Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist, and the leader of Umkhonto we Sizwe, the armed wing of the African National Congress (ANC).

In 1962 he was arrested and convicted of sabotage and other charges, and sentenced to life in prison. Mandela served 27 years in prison, spending many of these years on Robben Island.

Following his release from prison on 11 February 1990, Mandela led his party in the negotiations that led to multi-racial democracy in 1994.

As president from 1994 to 1999, he frequently gave priority to reconciliation.

In South Africa, Mandela is often known as Madiba, an honorary title adopted by elders of Mandela's clan.

Mandela has received more than 250 awards over four decades, including the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize.

It was a poem that inspired Mandela to not allow his situation to get him down in spite of his circumstances.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Invictus

"Invictus" is a short poem by the English poet William Ernest Henley (1849–1903).

It was written in 1875 and first published in 1888 in Henley's Book of Verses, where it was the fourth in a series of poems entitled Life and Death (Echoes).

It originally bore no title: early printings contained only the dedication To R. T. H. B.—a reference to Robert Thomas Hamilton Bruce (1846–1899), a successful Scottish flour merchant and baker who was also a literary patron.

The familiar title "Invictus" (Latin for "unconquered") was added by Arthur Quiller-Couch when he included the poem in The Oxford Book Of English Verse (1900).

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

'Invictus' Trailer HD

And now since I brought his name up earlier, I will include Tony Robbins, as another inspiration.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Tony Robbins

Anthony "Tony" Robbins (born February 29, 1960) is an American self-help author and motivational speaker.

Robbins' books include Unlimited Power: The New Science of Personal Achievement and Awaken The Giant Within.

Anthony Robbins: The Power Of Clarity And Purpose

So, ATS, what is it you do to inspire others, or why are you not doing something to inspire others?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1c03cfabff8.jpg[/atsimg]

People and their perspective are based upon our thoughts, the human psychology of our inner most thoughts, suggestions, and our experiences within life and just how we deal with them.

We must remember, we are the people who affect our reality, and when we interact with others, our interactions are what affects those around us, and either we are a positive force.

Or a negative one.

I choose to be a positive force for this world and I am challenging you to do the same.

If you are already a positive force, I would love to hear your story, please feel free to share.

If you are a negative force, I am just curious as to why, and what lead you down that path.

Our world, Earth needs more people like those above, and within the conspiracy theory genre, we need people who are not only uncovering the plots, schemes, and conspiracies.

We need people who are actually doing something about them other than just talking about them.

With that I will leave this thread open to people to read, share, and inspire others, with the poem.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/156fd6bfb6b0.jpg[/atsimg]

We are the sum of our actions, let us make sure our actions count, or they are worthless.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hmm, there seemed to be a thread about some aspects of your thread.

Just a couple days a go actually...

You look like you worked hard on it though. Good job.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nice thread as always Spartan.

Nick Vujicic is definitely an inspirational guy. I'm sure he had it really rough growing up and yet hearing him speak you'd never know it if he didn't mention it. He's taken a bad situation and done a heck of a lot more with it than most people do even with all their limbs attached.

It occurred to me while watching the videos of him in your post that the rest of us really have no excuse. If someone can be born with no limbs and still grow up to be seemingly well-adjusted and positive about life, what excuse can there be for someone who didn't go through that to be nothing but negative and angry all the time? None that I can see.

As for your question about whether we try to be a positive or negative force on those around us, I try to be a positive one. I am the optimist of my family, always looking for the bright side and trying to cheer everyone else up no matter how bad things are. It's always been that way as far back as I can remember. I've always been there for the people I'm close to and have a knack for making them smile instead of feeling sorry for themselves. (Man I sound like I'm tooting my own horn right now...
) I also frequently irritate my husband by telling him things aren't that bad and that they could always be worse, so there's no point being a grump and he needs to look at the bright side.

That's not always the case when it comes to myself since people are notoriously harder on themselves than they are on others, and I'm sure it doesn't always come through on here. But in the real world with people I know and am close to, I'm almost always the one they come to when things get rough. They all know I'll listen and help them see that things aren't as bad as they seem. I have nowhere near as large of an effect as someone like Nick Vujicic, but I like to think I at least have a small positive impact on the world around me.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Wow ...... that man -Nicholas James Vujicic~ what a thoroughly decent bloke . I`d say he`s a right prankster too - with that real Ozzy sense of humour, always up for a laugh. .

==============================================

I found this story rather inspiring .

Joe Simpson's harrowing account of near-death in the Peruvian Andes

Touching the Void.

Part 1/12

[edit on 30-5-2010 by UmbraSumus]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I must admit you've crafted a truly epic post here. But I've seen the limbless preacher posted here nearly once a week. Indeed, quite inspiring to see someone with so much adversity find a purpose in life.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Thank you.

I have seen some good threads on inspiration before.

Never have I seen the story of Nick Vujicic though.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

That's just it Jenna, we are the sum of our actions, let us be positive actions.

At work I always have people come to me because of something wrong they see within their life, working in food service, often customers are abusive, or something is bothering them and I can see it through their countenance.

I always try to do something to point out to them life is just not that bad.

Even speaking on those conspiracy theories we all love to speak on, I see a positive side, that there are those within a defined community who do their best to examine, explain, and educate others on how the "conspiracy" is pulled off.

Not to teach others how to commit such actions but to keep them from happening again.

At least to be better educated towards knowing how bad people get away with it.

We either make ripples in the pond of life or our actions do nothing.

I intend to make a positive change in the world not a negative one.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

That's something I love about Aussie's, their wonderful sense of humor, and thick skin.

I have been to Australia three times and each time I've never wanted to leave.

I can empathize with how Nick's life must have been and the horrendous torments of his life, and all I have to say is bravo to him, for becoming better because of it.

Never having heard of Joe Simpson before I found it an interesting story.

Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I have seen and read many inspirational threads on ATS before.

But I have never seen one, let alone any videos, like Nick Vujicic's.

I will take your word about him being elsewhere on ATS.

We probably just travel in different circles on here.

While I have read many inspirational threads, I usually stick with ones having to do with the conspiracies, crimes, and collusion of Government.

Having met many people within my life I learned to find inspiration everywhere.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Cool thread Spartan, i remember some time ago, perhaps last year, a news program in Australia here in sydney did a special on this bloke Nick Vujicic , i remember sitting in awe watching this guy live his life, with no arms, no legs and no worries
.. Love his tagline hey !!

Certainly an inspiration in my mind, cheers for bringing it to alls attention

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

No worries, scubagravy, no worries mate.

Personally, I think he should give inspirational speeches to veterans.

When it comes to warfare, and losing limbs in battle, they need an example like him.

The life lesson would be an excellent one for them so as to see their life is not over.

So many veterans become despondent because of losing limbs.

Another story I found inspirational was that of Carl Brashear.

Men of Honor 12 Steps

Quote from : Wikipedia : Carl Brashear

Carl Maxie Brashear (January 19, 1931 – July 25, 2006) was the first African American to become a U.S. Navy Master Diver in 1970.

In 2000, Brashear's military service was portrayed by Cuba Gooding, Jr. in the film Men of Honor.

U.S. Navy career

Brashear enlisted in the United States Navy on February 25, 1948, shortly after the Navy had desegregated.

He graduated from the U.S. Navy Diving & Salvage School in 1954, becoming a U.S. Navy Diver.

He was the first African-American Navy Diver (there were three African-American Navy divers in World War II), he was the first to attend and graduate from Diving & Salvage School.

Master Chief Brashear was the first African-American U.S. Navy Master Diver. He was also the first amputee diver to be certified or re-certified as a U.S. Navy diver.

If you have not seen Men of Honor I highly recommend it.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
OP -- marks to you for creating what you believed to be an inspiring thread topic

You ask: ' What's your excuse ? '

I don't need an excuse

The video and OP didn't inspire me. They depressed me

I'd kill myself rather than live without arms and legs

I've never figured life was a bargain or gift in any case. It's mostly horrible. At best, it requires a lot of compromise and settling for what you get, imo

We're all different, obviously. The man featured in the video has a different take on it. But although this will undoubtedly offend you and others, I can't see the point in his choosing to inspire others

Inspire them to what ? To live ? Why ? That automatically assumes life isn't that great, doesn't it, if people need to be inspired ?

And what's the message ? Is it ... ' look, this man with no arms and legs is badly off compared to you, so you should be grateful ' ?

A case of ' Eat your food because kids in Africa are starving' ?

Another message along the lines of ' I complained about having no shoes until I met the man with no feet' ?

Using negatives to creat some positive ?

It's backwards thinking, to my mind

Are you attempting to 'shame' people into feeling 'lucky' in comparison to the man in the video ?

Sounds 'churchy' to me. I don't like it. Just another way of keeping the slaves feeling guilty. Control. Manipulation

If this life was so great, they wouldn't need to roll out handicapped people to make others feel 'guilty', 'shamed' or 'grateful by comparison'

It's a low shot, imo

Personally, I believe that anyone who can be happy without arms or legs must be a little insane

I wouldn't live that way for a day. I would end it

And I feel no obligation to 'excuse' myself to you or anyone else

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Outstanding thread my friend!! I will remember this when I think I have it bad.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Havnt yet seen that movie Men of Honour, but its on my short list now, btw, that poem in your OP is great, do you know at all who wrote it ??

Cheers Spartan

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
@SKL -
Great thread. I've never heard of this man's story before. But to the larger point, I think that it is up to us all to figure out and find that which inspires us ... always keep looking, but don't forget what you've found, so to speak.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Well, if that would be your choice, if in the same position as Nick Vujicic, I am sorry.

Notice I said I'm sorry, not that I feel sorry for you, there is a difference.

There is nothing "preachy" about the intent of this thread.

If anyone feels shame because of it that is their interpretation only.

As I said prior to this, our perceptions are the only thing which makes our lives any better or worse, while the situation or circumstances may in fact be dire, our own handling of the situation or circumstances is what makes us see what we see.

Backwards?

Perhaps.

In your view, we should give up, in Nick Vujicic, Nelson Mandela, or Carl Brashear's position.

Off ourselves, as you put it, just give up and bite the bullet.

I disagree with that perspective and as well your opinion completely.

If that were the case, because of Government corruption, or the endless conspiracies enshrouding our world, we as "conspiracy theorists" have no reason to do what we do, and we should never try to understand them?

Life is no bargain, life is no gift, life is however, what we make of it.

I am not offended by you, if others are, well I am sure they will tell you.

I think perhaps you see the case of Nick Vujicic as the perfect instance where his parents should have aborted him in the fetus stage, prior to being born.

While I have never agreed with abortion, it is a personal choice, in a world where tough choices must be made, by people who are sometimes able, and sometimes incapable of making, as well as living with those choices and repercussions.

And as for the starving children in Africa?

I have zero sympathy for them.

Empathy, yes, sympathy no, not an ounce.

Personally, we should not give our money to Sally Struthers or whoever else.

That money rarely if ever reaches those Africans because of the greed of "charities".

Through the bureaucractic nightmare of supply and demand they do not see it.

If I were to do anything for Africa it would be to get rid of all of the dictators.

It would be to get the United Nations hands off of it and their boots out of it.

And teach the people how to farm, how to raise animals, and about hygiene and sanitation.

That is just a start of course but a damn better one than most people would do.

I have thoroughly researched and back-tracked what happens to the alleged "charity" money, both organizations like Sally Struthers runs and the U.N.

Wasted efforts because they rob the coffers hiding it in bureaucratic layering.

Obviously, this thread offended you, and for that I will not apologize.

The original intent was for people to stop feeling sorry for themselves.

GI Jane - I Newer Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.

A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

David Herbert Lawrence

If you would rather focus on the negative of life, that is your choice, I am not.

I would rather see the Yin and Yang, both the positive and negative, and choose, willingly, to act upon the positives, while remembering the negatives.

And use both the positives and negatives and make my life better for it.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Great thread, as usual, SKL.

I have never heard of Vujicic until today. He really is quite an inspiration. I believe happiness is not something we attain, it's a choice.

I have given a lot of thought to comparing ourselves to other people and other lives to feel appreciation for my own and I've come to the following conclusion:

If I compare my situation to others who are "worse off" than me, then I'm likely to feel better and more appreciative about my circumstance.
If I compare my situation to others who are "better off" than me, then I'm likely to feel worse and somewhat sorry for myself.

So, if I'm going to compare my life to others, I ALWAYS make sure that it's to someone who I consider to be "less fortunate", so I'll feel appreciation. Now they may not actually be less fortunate. They may consider themselves the happiest and most fortunate person in the world! But it's all about MY perception of them.

I avoid comparing my situation to those who are better off, because it only leads to self-indulgence, and that's not where I want to be.

In the end, I believe that we're all exactly where we need to be and in that, we're all equally fortunate. It's important to me to learn to be content and appreciative with WHATEVER we have and whatever our situation, without needing to compare our standing with someone else. To appreciate "what is" regardless of our judgment of it.

I know the "worst" parts of my life are what have made me the strong, confident person that I am. So, I am very grateful for them.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I have seen and read many inspirational threads on ATS before.

But I have never seen one, let alone any videos, like Nick Vujicic's.

I will take your word about him being elsewhere on ATS.

We probably just travel in different circles on here.

While I have read many inspirational threads, I usually stick with ones having to do with the conspiracies, crimes, and collusion of Government.

Having met many people within my life I learned to find inspiration everywhere.

Ahhh okay. I figured it was hard to avoid the limbless preacher here but I can see how it'd happen. I must admit though, that this thread is probably the most inclusive in terms of the numbers of videos you've compiled. Excellent work!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
SKL, nicely written and well presented thread. Good work.

PS: For your information there was a thread about a week ago that referenced this guy and his speeches, although not by his name. Here is the link if you are interested:
LOOK @ Yourself After Watching This!

[edit on 31/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

We find inspiration wherever we find it and see things through our own perspective.

If the perspective sucks, change it, and move on.

Remember, on Memorial Day, we must remember the fallen.

reply to post by scubagravy

You may have missed it in the original post mate.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Invictus

"Invictus" is a short poem by the English poet William Ernest Henley (1849–1903).

There was a movie named that, Invictus, after the Nelson Mandela story.

reply to post by LadySkadi

Of course, LadySkadi, it is up to us to determine our inspirations.

If we let life get us down we end up doing something stupid because of it.

Let our actions define who we are based upon a better way of living.

Instead of only seeing the terrible things life can bring find a positive.

And live because of it.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join