It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groasis Waterboxx

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Iventor Pieter Hoff has invented basically a box that hydrates plants without the need for irrigation, usefull for harsh conditions.
www.popsci.com...

The plants lost heat to the air at night, and the cool surface of the leaves sucked water droplets from the warm, humid air. Nature’s watering system, Hoff thought, is incredibly efficient. So in 2003, he sold his business and began developing a planter that could capture water the same way plants do and foster saplings in the harshest conditions.

Today, one third of the world’s population lives where water is scarce or of poor quality, a number that’s expected to jump to two thirds by 2025. Making matters worse, in some areas deforestation and overfarming have led to eroded soil that can no longer support many crops. Hoff designed his Groasis Waterboxx with this in mind—it’s a plant incubator that’s made from plastic or a biodegradable material and designed to cool faster than the night air, like his lilies. The box is coolest at its top, the part that has the most contact with the open air. Water condenses on the cover and flows down into a small holding tank, where it’s trapped, along with any rainwater. The collected water and the box itself keep the plant and its roots hydrated and
protected.

How the Groasis Waterboxx Works: Water condenses on the box's cool top, collects in a tank, and drips into the soil to hydrate the plant.

This Imo is something many people could use all over the world.

www.groasis.com...

[edit on 29-5-2010 by 7even7eas]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It is so simple and sensible that it will probably be squashed. Not trying to be negative, but realistic.

I am thinking I will try something based on this idea myself. Living in the "heat island" of a big city makes watering plants a near daily need. I just can't believe this hasn't been pursued before.

It's the kind of invention that makes me slap my head and think "why didn't I think of that?"

Nice find.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

i think i might try to make something similar also. its very humid where i live it just could be an easy way to farm my backyard without watering it.

Thats a plus

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The site lists them at about 20 pounds each (minimum order 10). That's pretty cheap for a new plant growing mechanism.

I've seen similar sized all plastic cloners (with $7 generic pump) about that size go for 200US.

It appears to be still in the testing phase...

Which would explain why they are so inexpensive.

I'm seriously considering grabbing a 10-pack of these.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Excellent find and quite a smart invention to get trees started in difficult conditions.

For a similar system more suited for general use see this low cost device:
Earth Box

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Many permaculturists already use this, but the natural way with stacking rocks on the north side of a tree.

They heat up all day in the sun, release the heat at night, and create condensation in the morning and drips down right onto the roots, everyday.

The only problem with these, both ways, are snow and freezing of the water.

However, both of these methods can green the deserts from the outsides in!

[edit on 29-5-2010 by breakingdradles]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Im starting to work on a Condensation irrigation system, where the water condensates in a metal box and flows down into a reservoir underneath the soil where it can evenly distribute.

i live in florida and its very humid here, also it rains alot.

but same concept as the rocks basically.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I've also been thinking of doing the same thing on large scale.

Like an "Air Well" or "Dew Well".

There was one in Russia that gave hundreds of gallons a day, just from a big pile of stacked rocks!

new topics

top topics

join