It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Nation Mesmerized: Can BP Plug the Gulf Gusher?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Double post. Sorry!

[edit on 29-5-2010 by AllIsOne]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Relevant.....

BP admits failure of "top kill/junk shot" attempt

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

The fish and tourism industry have a reason to be very afraid of the spill, see, the gulf states together make about 20 billion in revenues from tourism and 1 billion on fishing, this goes directly to the states, but the oil industry in the gulf only produces for the government 5.8 billion, so actually the gulf states and the US government will lose a lot more on the ecological disaster than in the oil spill.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There are sorry SOB’s who make a living by going out and clubbing baby seals.

I look forward to the day when a person can make a living by clubbing corrupt politicians and heartless petrochemical company executives.

I believe the BP spill will function as a catalyst, that WAKES AMERICA UP!

Enough is enough. It’s time to instigate a GLOBAL GREEN REVOLUTION NOW!! It can be peaceful or it can be violent, but it needs to occur.

Our “leaders” and our corporations are the enemy, are the "terrorists."

All incompetent self-serving clowns within the Obama administration and the petrochemical companies need to be taken out, one way or another. It’s time for them to either freely step aside or justifiably get kicked to the curb.

F.T.G.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by seasoul]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

The problem is that with the economy as crappy as it currently is and people searching for work, and a sub-economy, like the fishing industry, being destroyed due to carelessness this will be far worse than the Exxon Valdez disaster.

When it comes to disasters, they are often used as a distraction, over-hyped by the media, but this one is being downplayed very much so, and one has to wonder how fast they are going to fix this issue, or if they are going to drag their feet.

Typical bureaucracy, if you ask me, wasting time, not doing anything, and pointing fingers.

reply to post by ugie1028

It's called damage control and that's all these people know to do at this point.

This is why I have never liked bureaucracies, or management, because they forget how it is at the bottom, where the actual work gets done, because those at the top have their heads so far up their collective butts they never know what is going on to begin with in any way, shape, or form.

I am someone who leads from the front not from behind a desk.

Once someone in power, or a corporation gets past a certain point, they distance themselves from the working-man, and soon forget just how to do their jobs.

Leadership, is just like driving a car, if you're not handling the steering wheel, the car goes everywhere on the road of life, and these people are acting like seniors.

They have their left-turn blinker on driving miles looking like an idiot.

reply to post by tothetenthpower

We will just have to see how much marine life washes up dead on the shore.

And then hope that the oil company does not cover that up by paying cash to those who find it.

Personally, I believe BP PLC needs to be fined by the hour, until they get it cleaned up.

Beginning from the day of the event and a rolling clock that keeps going.

Maybe they need more motivation to get up off their duffs?

Obviously, they're not taking this seriously, and they should have contingency plans.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is way out of BP's hands now. Obama should be soliciting help from other countries and their ideas on how to stop this instead of going on vacation.

They can't cap it, so why not build an enclosure around it. The only other thing I can think if is to use a depth charge to collapse the seabed and close the hole, but I have no idea the proximity of other pipelines or wells in the area that could be affected. It would have to be a precision detonation though.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

What they need to do is drop a caisson down on top of it and drain the seawater.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Caisson

In geotechnical engineering, a caisson is a retaining, watertight structure used, for example, to work on the foundations of a bridge pier, for the construction of a concrete dam, or for the repair of ships.

These are constructed such that the water can be pumped out, keeping the working environment dry.

When piers are to be built using an open caisson and it is not practical to reach suitable soil, friction pilings may be driven to form a suitable sub-foundation.

These piles are connected by a foundation pad upon which the column pier is erected.

Schematic cross section of a pressurized caisson

Shallow caissons may be open to the air, whereas pneumatic caissons, which penetrate soft mud, are sealed at the top and filled with compressed air to keep water and mud out at depth.

An airlock allows access to the chamber.

Workers move mud and rock debris (called muck) from the edge of the workspace to a water filled pit, connected by a tube (called the muck tube) to the surface.

A crane at the surface removes the soil with a clamshell bucket.

The water pressure in the tube balances the air pressure, with excess air escaping up the muck tube.

The pressurized air flow must be constant to ensure regular air changes for the workers and the height of the water in the muck tube must be carefully regulated to prevent unnecessary overpressure or low pressure which could allow excessive inflow of mud or water at the base of the caisson.

The caisson will be brought down through soft mud until a suitable foundation material is encountered. While bedrock is preferred, a stable, hard mud is sometimes used when bedrock is too deep.

Caisson disease is so named since it appeared in construction workers when they left the compressed atmosphere of the caisson and rapidly reentered normal (decompressed) atmospheric conditions. It is caused by the same processes as decompression sickness in divers.

Construction of the Brooklyn Bridge, which was built with the help of caissons, resulted in several workers being either killed or permanently injured by caisson disease during its construction, one of those injured being the designer's son, Washington Roebling.

Caissons have also been used in the installation of hydraulic elevators where a single-stage ram is installed below the ground level.

Caissons, codenamed Phoenix, were an integral part of the Mulberry harbours.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f52a923c78a1.jpg[/atsimg]

This is something which is done all the time in bridge-building to secure a foundation.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Caisson Building

It would take a caisson and Underwater Cement.

Not a very difficult task, if someone were willing to pay for it, like BP PLC.

This isn't rocket-science folks.

reply to post by endisnighe

Troubleshooting is something I see this corporation should specialize in, or have a troubleshooter on retention, through their payroll processes.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting is a form of problem solving, often applied to repair failed products or processes.

It is a logical, systematic search for the source of a problem so that it can be solved, and so the product or process can be made operational again.

Troubleshooting is needed to develop and maintain complex systems where the symptoms of a problem can have many possible causes.

Troubleshooting is used in many fields such as engineering, system administration, electronics, automotive repair, and diagnostic medicine.

Troubleshooting requires identification of the mals) or symptoms within a system.

Then, experience is commonly used to generate possible causes of the symptoms.

Determining which cause is most likely is often a process of elimination - eliminating potential causes of a problem.

Finally, troubleshooting requires confirmation that the solution restores the product or process to its working state.

In general, troubleshooting is the identification of, or diagnosis of "trouble" in a [system] caused by a failure of some kind.

The problem is initially described as symptoms of malfunction, and troubleshooting is the process of determining the causes of these symptoms.

A system can be described in terms of its expected, desired or intended behavior (usually, for artificial systems, its purpose).

Events or inputs to the system are expected to generate specific results or outputs.

(For example selecting the "print" option from various computer applications is intended to result in a hardcopy emerging from some specific device).

Any unexpected or undesirable behavior is a symptom.

Troubleshooting is the process of isolating the specific cause or causes of the symptom.

Frequently the symptom is a failure of the product or process to produce any results.

(Nothing was printed, for example).

The methods of forensic engineering are especially useful in tracing problems in products or processes, and a wide range of analytical techniques are available to determine the cause or causes of specific failures.

Corrective action can then be taken to prevent further failures of a similar kind.

Preventative action is possible using FMEA and FTA before full scale production, and these methods can also be used for failure analysis.

greenopolis TV Live from Gulf - BP using chemical dispersan

Originally posted by Robert Reynolds
This is just a big distraction, I bet once they've plugged it we'll get back to other things only to find out that our families are in detention camps run by shape-shifting Freemasons.

Sure sounds a lot like Hurricane Katrina if you ask me.

Although, "shape-shifting", is a bit off the mark.

As for a distraction it would have to be majorly hyped though.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
reply to post by Just Wondering

That would explain why it looks worse today and why they are no longer showing the BOP. Thanks for posting this info, Just Wondering. Can you give a source for that information?

Uhm..yes, me. I am watching it unfold live.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I don't understand? A 5000 feet high caison?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm to the point where I hope tens of thousands die, gassed from when the rains and winds come carrying oil. Only then will the fat happy retards Americans have become will put down the Doritos and get off the couch and do something about the out of control Government and oligarchy we have.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

The only issue with that is the formation of methane crystals inside the enclosure. This is what they experienced with the "top hat" method.

It looks more and more like they are going to have to do something to the seabed.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

This whole thing has me really ticked off. I posted in another thread a link that will take you to the BP response site. At this site you can ask questions. I suggest we all keep doing that. I personally am still waiting for a response to my questions and will post them when and if I get a reply from them.

Here is the site.

Deepwater Horizon Response Site

The problem with that is, jackflap, the website and response system is just to make the appearances of giving a fuzzy rats behind, which is further from the truth.

It is just first level of layered bureaucracy, to confine the damage, something they do know how to do, containing damage, to their paychecks and shareholders.

Like I mentioned earlier, BP PLC should be fined by the hour, until they get it cleaned up.

reply to post by inval

To get the bureaucracy moving something major has to happen first.

Then getting it, the bureaucracy, to actually do what is needed, is rare.

The desire to clean up something without profiting off of it is immense.

There should be no way they are allowed to raise their prices for the next 10 years.

reply to post by Doc Holiday

So, what you're saying, is that the Mainstream Media is baiting a trap?

They're trolling the American people?

Sounds like something Dick Cheney might do since his Secret Service codename was "Angler".

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

The problem with that is, jackflap, the website and response system is just to make the appearances of giving a fuzzy rats behind, which is further from the truth. It is just first level of layered bureaucracy, to confine the damage, something they do know how to do, containing damage, to their paychecks and shareholders. Like I mentioned earlier, BP PLC should be fined by the hour, until they get it cleaned up.

Rest assured, their shareholders are taking a beating. The ones who were not let in on the fact that they were going to blow the rig. They will be losing their retirement funds and all that good stuff as the stock plummets.

The web site, if we keep inquiring from it, should provide a response. I would love to see the response they are going to give me and believe me, I'll post it. It is something we can do right now.

Even if our questions do not reach the people who we really want to see them, enough questions will have to be brought to someone who can answer the sheer magnitude of the questions. So that site can be utilized.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Just wondering if you people ever got my first inquiries. They had to do with the publicity stunt that BP put on for the Obama vist. In which workers were bussed in before his visit, and then bussed out when he left. I also questioned if this was in fact a way to get cap and trade passed more quickly. I also asked if the clean up effort is being taken seriously. In my original submission I left a link to an article where all these concerns were raised. I appreciate your anticipated response.

I just left another one. The text above is what I sent them. If enough of us keep doing this, we should get a response and be able to hold them accountable to what they tell us. Do not disregard this resource that we have.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Can you detonate nuclear devices under that much pressure? What size bomb would you need? How much radiation would be released into the water? Is the sea floor strong enough to withstand the blast without buckling or rupturing? Would it create a "tsunami" that would damage beach communities and drive surface oil further inland? If it's all that volatile, would the surface oil catch fire? Nuclear detonations create a lot of heat - would that make a hurricane stronger? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered before that can be seriously considered.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

Depends on the device. If you figure 44lbs/sq. in. per 100ft depth, then 5000 ft. would equal 2200 lbs/sq. in.

And for a nuclear device that operates on implosion, the issue would be not letting the device detonate until it comes within 'x' feet of the seabed. You would want the shockwave to collapse the hole.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I would think that if they could have they would have been able to they would have by now.
What about taking one of BP's oil tankers empty it, weld the hatches closed with 10 or more 1-foot diameter holes on the deck attached to hoses to the surface.
apply charges to create a 25 foot diameter hole in the bottom. scuttle the ship over the leak(s). Blow out the hole and settle it over the leak.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join