It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman with hospital phobia must be forcibly treated for cancer, judge rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

www.telegrap h.co.uk

Doctors will be allowed to forcibly sedate the 55-year-old woman in her own home and transport her to hospital for surgery. She will then be operated on, despite having asked not to undergo surgery for her cancer, and could then be forced to remain on a hospital ward afterwards.

The case – only the second ever in the little-known Court of Protection to be made public - sparked an intense ethical and legal debate last night.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wow!

This is another one of those cases that will likely spur furious debate...

Who is the ultimate decider of an individuals health? The right to die as one chooses? The individual? At least in this case, it appears not!

This presents a 'sticky' avenue, as one could argue the situation merits the decision based on the mental make-up of the client, but another can say the event itself may cause extreme emotional trauma to the patient, which may, to said patient, be a fate worse than exiting the physical body...

Let's hear your take on this people...

www.telegrap h.co.uk

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ask yourself:

What would Sarah Connor do?

Beware gov't that would help you.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If the court is forcing her to undergo cancer treatment against her will, then the court should PAY for whatever costs she incurs while at the hopsital.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

www.telegrap h.co.uk

Doctors will be allowed to forcibly sedate the 55-year-old woman in her own home and transport her to hospital for surgery. She will then be operated on, despite having asked not to undergo surgery for her cancer, and could then be forced to remain on a hospital ward afterwards.

The case – only the second ever in the little-known Court of Protection to be made public - sparked an intense ethical and legal debate last night.

Older thread same subject:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 27-5-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Utterly chilling. It seems that now, in the UK at least, one cannot 'just say no' to drugs anymore. At least not if the drug dealer is the NHS/State.

This is a very dangerous path to tread. I wonder if this would eventually be extended to those saying no to allopathy in favor of a natural healing route to a cure?

I can see the Daily Express headlines about my mum now:

"woman with chemotherapy/colostomy phobia taken by force to local hospital for 'treatment' after disclosing paranoid delusions of self healing via natural methods to neighbour!"

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think this is an abomination. Regardless of this woman's mental health (or lack thereof) who is the hospital to say that she MUST have treatment for this cancer? If she can live on her own and take care of herself, then she is obviously fit to make decisions for herself.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

I was thinking this exact same thing. Could you imagine? Being forced to undergo an expensive procedure AGAINST your wishes and then also being CHARGED for it?!

Ugh...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If she wanted the treatment but is too scared to step into a hospital, I see no problem with them forcing her. If she DIDN'T want the treatment and they forced her, then that is wrong.

Some people can't help the phobias they have and sometimes they really are extreme. Do I really have to reference the girl with a phobia of pickles?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

She wont be charged for it because it is the uk where we have free health care... But it IS an abomination...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Their plan was to drive in an ambulance to her home “and in the event of her refusal to attend hospital for her to be given a sedative which is mixed with a soft drink such as Ribena”. After the operation, feeding tubes would be bandaged so she couldn’t pull them out and she would be given painkillers with a sedative effect “rendering it unlikely that she would be able to abscond”. However “it might be necessary to use force as a last resort to ensure that she returned to her hospital bed”.

Personally I think that this is just wrong. So they were going spike her drink, and when she woke up she would find herself in a hospital bed, likely strapped down. The whole thing is wrong on just so many levels, it is her decision to not have the surgery for whatever reason, then so be it. What is even the point of having a living will there in the UK ,if it can be overturned. Also a final point that gets me; is that it's the Doctors insisting that she must have the surgery, if it was her family that would be another thing. Either way though, it should be her decision. Who's to say that the poor woman won't be so traumatized by the whole thing that she commits suicide? I know that may sound far fetched, but I imagine her mental health will suffer if this happens.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by crafty_gnome]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I read this earlier and was utterly shocked! Okay, so they are claiming that the woman is "mentally incapable" of making the decision, but to suggest that by removing her fallopian tubes and ovaries is going to prevent her death is just a step too far! I mean how the heck can they determine when she is going to die anyway, and by what cause? - she could (theoretically) get hit by a bus tomorrow!

This annoys be about the medical profession as a whole, the constant threat that whatever you are doing will kill you! Err, sorry has the medical profession found a cure for death yet? We will all die someday - even doctors!

I am extremely concerned about the amount of testing that is done in disease prevention these days, and the fact that they often cause illness and often diagnose illness that isn't even there (sorry no links to back this up right now am busy, but I have come across many particularly about cervical cancer screening - must see if there is a thread about that!!) So who even can be sure her life is really at risk!

And of course, it is the thin end of the wedge - if this is acceptable, how long will it be before "sane" people are being forced to undergo treatment "for their own good"

Terrifying

Edited to add that I have just done an ATS search on cervical screening and have only come across 3 threads that do not relate to what I have found out about it - I must do more research and if there is nothing on ATS about it,start a thread and inform all women on here about this, rather alarming, human guinea pig experiment, that can potentially cause more damage than save lives

[edit on 27-5-2010 by destination now]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I also think this is outrageous, if a person does not want help, how the feck do scum have the right to force this on someone.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Yep absolutely scum, these people telling people how to run there lifes.

The uk gov have perved into my life for 18 years now, and absolutely wrecked it, and i would of been just fine doing my own thing living my own life, but they forced rubbish into my life, absolutely destroying it.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The article mentions that she has a learning disorder. I find it suspect that they never mention what the learning disorder is. For all we know, she only had a mild case of dyslexia.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
i am mandated to undergo treatment for a mood disorder by order of a two bit psych doc-
court ordered for a year and never appeared before a judge. guess whose on the board
of the treatment provider- the phx police in the form of nick magiotta. now the c.o.t.
process is "streamlined"- now i have been scooped up by police, restrained ,thrown down and
injected with haldol and kept in a freezing locked ward for 5 days.
the reason for my mood disorder- depressed to be suffering from fibromyalgia.
my mistreatment so far has been enough to trigger ptsd..i am running for the hills..
arizona- the inmate state..

new topics

top topics

join